Why so hard to get Edison screw lamp holders?

We are actually talking about the safety of particular bulb socket types and if you care about the risk with ES sockets, its easy to use ES sockets which have no risk.

Reply to
Tim J

hi scott

Reply to
%

Maybe I have missed something, but how do you ensure there is no risk of touching the metal part of the bulb if the polarity is reversed? I appreciate the risk is low for pendant lights on the ceiling but for a lamp fitted with a non-polarised plug (such as a europlug) polarity must be 50/50.

And how do you use 'ES sockets which have no risk' if a table lamp is fully manufactured on delivery? Can they be retrofitted?

Reply to
Scott

With a contact only at the base (inner end) of the screw thread in the HOLDER, the metal thread on the BULB doesn't become (potentially) live until the bulb is nearly all the way in (and presumabley the metal part is now shrouded).

Reply to
Bob Eager

By ensuring that it isnt in contact with the side contact until it has been screwed right into the socket and having the non conducting screw socket cover the metal part of the bulb completely.

You can obviously only buy table lamps which have non conducting screw sockets and side contact that only contact the bulb when the bulb is fully screwed into the socket.

Reply to
Tim J

Really? Is there a recognised international marking to make consumers who do not have electrical skills aware of this?

Reply to
Scott

Yep.

Is there a recognised international marking to make consumers

Don't need one.

Reply to
Tim J

Okay, I'll ask around tomorrow how to see how many of my friends would feel competent in carrying out this task: 'Would you be able to identiify a table lamp with non conducting screw sockets and side contact?' .

Reply to
Scott

Yes it is peculiar that ES is widely adopted in Europe, in the USA system for which it was developed they at least have polarised plugs.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Not originally. My house there, built prolly in the 30s, had a number of 2-pin unpolarised, 2-pin polarised, and 3-pin sockets.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Not always - the 2 pin (either way up) is quite common.

Reply to
charles

Is USA +55V / -55V (you know what I mean)?

Reply to
Scott

What when you unscrew it?

Called at the electrical wholesalers today and someone in the shop asked for a E27 pendant holder. They can get them but they were not in stock.

My first question was "Have you got any E40 pendant holders?"

Oddly enough the hydroponics shop next door did have them.

Reply to
ARW

No.

Reply to
Tim Streater

no. 110v or 110-0-110 split phase.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

E40 has long been standard for a lot of high power lamps including discharge grow lamps. It's been around over a century.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Nope, its actually +115V / -115V but not on those 2 pin plugs.

Reply to
Tim J

No it's 110-0-110 with 220V sockets/appliances being powered phase-antiphase

(Though I have seen some references to 2 of the 3 120degree phases rarely being used for the higher voltage giving some 190V)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Assuming still stocked, Ikea has singles or threes already wired, v. cheap.

PeterC

Thanks. I think I knew that at one time. Maybe I was thinking of building sites.

Merry Christmas to all in uk.d-i-y.

Reply to
Scott