Genie IS500 screw drive is binding but why?

-------------------------------------

Installed in 2003, problem, with no door hooked up, motor is unable to turn screw for more than a few seconds. Torque adjustments (up and down) full clockwise. Disconnecting screw and rail from motor, I have a very difficult to turn screw. Cleaned all the old grease out of channel in rail and screw itself. Three section rail and screw. Genie could only suggest loosening the 8 bolts holding the 3 sections of rail together but this did nothing to help. Seems to me that screw should turn freely in the extruded aluminum rail. Can not see any burrs, damage, or bent parts. How to find why screw is hard to turn? Suggestions?

Reply to
mmoss111

Hi, Our garage came with Genie screw drive opener. House was built in '95. Still working fine. Maybe motor is shot?(no torque generated) Adjusting clutch is a nap for me.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

i dunno. i monkeyed around to learn to repair my only opener and even bought it a part and paid a pro to install the part, but had to replace the whole thing because it was just cheaper than dumb me trying to fix it again when i was incorrect about the part it needed in the first place. it is a comfort and security item for your home. maybe it's worth a buck or 2 a day for a year of not having it break for another 7 years.

Reply to
buffalobill

Screw should turn easily with no motor or door connections.

Reply to
hrhofmann

I would start un-installing it until I found the problem. Insturction manual here:

sligoNoSPAMjoe

Let me guess.... windows software user?

when in doubt, reboot, and then uninstall stuff.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Not on my next machine. I am now retired.

Reply to
sligoNoSPAMjoe