Poll Question regarding your cordless drill.

Would you rather have to put in a few drops of oil through a lubricating hole after every few hours of running your drill and double the length of time of use without having to replace any parts or rather not have to bother oiling it and replace a part that may cost 30% of the price for a new drill every few years?

Reply to
Molly Brown

No.

Reply to
Bob F

Replace a part which I have never had to do in the past 15 years or so for my Makita 12v cordless and is still going strong.

Reply to
SBH

I'd rather take a look at your sweet ass, Molly. Got some jpgs for me baby?

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

By the time sealed bearings fail so has just about every other moving part, I have alot of stuff from the 80s thats fine. A Porter Cable rep told me of big commercial users that junk them after a a time because just everything is worn out, gears, switches, chuck, bearings, wiring etc.

Reply to
ransley

I pretty much use my cordless every day. A typical cordless drill/driver lasts me between 2 and 3 years. Regardless of manufacturer, I've never had one die due to lack of oil, gear grease maybe, but not oil.

Reply to
RBM

Can you assure me that is the case? If so, yes. I'm just not sure how a couple of drops of oil will keep the switch from going bad, or brushes wearing the battery cells corroding or the chuck from slipping, or the clutch not working.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"SBH" wrote in news:6FUln.23270$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe22.iad:

yeah,ditto for my 9.6V Makita 6095DW.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

"RBM" wrote in news:4b981d5a$0$31275$ snipped-for-privacy@cv.net:

is it the batteries that die on you or the drill itself? do you figure it's cheaper to buy a new drill kit than to just replace the batteries for your old drill?

Reply to
Jim Yanik

The drills never completely die, but like Ransley said, the switches, gears, chuck, etc. get so worn out, they become cumbersome to use, and yes, the batteries won't hold a decent charge anymore. It's only slightly more expensive to buy a new tool with 2 batteries, than just buying the batteries.

Reply to
RBM

I don't use my cordless drill, but I use my 3 corded drills and I have never oiled any of them and they've never worn out a part.

So does Molly have a plan to make drills worse?

Reply to
mm

I have one of those too. I don't use it except on occasion at home, it's got no power and it's kinda gawky and awkward, but it does work, and the battery is fine

Reply to
RBM

Maybe they need to be oiled.

Check with Molly.

BTW, people here shoudlnt' make risque comments regarding such a noble person. She's the one Molly bolts ewre named after.

Reply to
mm

I just pulled out my 82 rockwell circular saw today, its smokin a bit, id say the windings on the motor shorted, and no bearing chatter or looseness in the blade, cheap stuff I usualy smoke the motors or destroy the gears from abuse and dropping them.

Reply to
ransley

You forgot, an oil port to a bearing can let in dirt that can trash a open bearing, sealed bearings dont have that exposure.

Reply to
ransley

I have 2 Makita 9v drills (vintage 1996 and 2002), the second bought when the first set of batteries died. When the second set died I bought a few $30 batteries from a net guy and they are both going strong. Swapping around 3 batteries I used both constantly on a recent bathroom remodel. I never did anything to either one. I am a Makita fan though. I had the 2 cordless drills going, a corded hammer drill and a regular 3/8 corded drill, a side grinder and a circular saw, all blue.

Reply to
gfretwell

No. I've never had the drive train, of any drill I've ever owned, fail. I don't want oil collecting dust, either. Cordless drills die because the batteries die and they're more expensive than the drill *and* batteries.

Reply to
krw

And my 12 volt Milwaukee that's about 18 years old.

Reply to
Tony

Not cordless, but I just had TWO fail on me today - the drive-train.

Put my 6 month old B&D 650 into low range and some teeth dissapered - just an unholy racket, and no turning.

Took it back to where I bought it - they don't carry it any more, but they DO have a Porter Cable PC650 - virtually identical except for colour - for $20 more. Paid the man, took it home, drilled one hole, and what the heck? a part jumped out through the front drive case.

Took it back and got my money back. Useless crap.

Reply to
clare

B&D isn't worth the aggravation. That appears to be a hammer drill.

That's telling your something about B&D, eh?

B&D has been useless crap for decades. Go with Bosch.

Reply to
krw