Why 20" wheels

A friend of mine is after me to buy a new car** and she found the Buick Cascada. I've wanted a Buick for a long time, because I like GM cars, but the Chevy I-forget-the-model-name was so cheap. Bucket seats but not even a center console. And I've avoided Ford and rice-burners. And the Cadillac seemed showy, so that left a Buick. And the Skylark was beautful (And my Buick was okay too. I forget its model name. Centurion?)
But the Cascada comes standard with 20" wheels, and they say that like it's a good thing. Well if you're in the Gran Prix races, I'm sure it's a good thing, but I like a comfortable ride. They don't even mention smaller optional wheels (although I'm sure I could get them if I pay someone to go to the Chevy dealer and get them there.
(It also has "sport-tuned suspension" I don't want that either, but I suspect it's not like a violin that you can retune to something else.
It also comes with a black top, no other choice given. Don't these designers ever drive the cars they design? It's like the charge-card email notifications all over again. (I had two convertibles with black tops. When the second one needed a new top, I changed to green, to match the turquoise car, which was imo primarily green, and it was much better. Since then I've had tan, a rather light version of tan.)
I suppose if I order the card before it's built, I can get a tan top, and they probably "won't charge me much extra", but any negotiation on the price will be over.
I've never bought a new car, but the idea was to get what I wanted, not what I don't want. For $35,000 dollars, which I gather is not much these days, but they don't offer to let me spend more and get what I want.
**and indeed it will be possible to get a 7-year old car like I like, but v. hard I think to get a 3, 4, or 5 year old car, because they stopped making Sebrings, Solara convertibles, and maybe only Mustangs are left.
Any other new or late model American convertibles bigger than a Miata for sale these days?? At least as big as a mustang.
On Mon 08 May 2017 01:31:03a, Micky told us...

So far you haven't really asked a atruly relevnant question. You should probably research various dealers yourself. It just might provide more insight. Or, if you're really serious aboaut buying a car, you could always consult a broker. They are generally impartial and have a wealth of inforomation.

On Mon, 08 May 2017 09:02:18 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

Buying a Cascada in North America you are buying an orphan - parts will be special order only in most cases, and virtually unavailable on the used market. In Europe the Astra J is a common car - as a Ope; or Vauxhall - and down under as a Holden. In North America it is a rarity.
If you want a GM convertible, SERIOUSLY look at the Camaro. However, I would buy a Mustang over a Camaro in a heartbeat. The 'stang with a V6 would make a decent car, not expensive to maintain, not expensive to insure, or to feed. It also maintains it's value.
On Mon, 08 May 2017 13:07:14 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I didnt' know that. I'm sure she didn't either. And the webpage, to the extent I looked at it, gave no clue.

That sounds great. I think a decade or more ago I thought they made one, but I couldnt' find one. This time, I'll look harder.

Mustang sounds good too.

On 2017-05-08 2:57 PM, Micky wrote:

I heard they were discontinuing the V6 Mustang, now it is the 4 or the 8 banger.
--
Froz....

On Mon, 8 May 2017 15:38:52 -0400, FrozenNorth

I'll look into that**. I learned today that there is a V10. In Australia I think.
IIR and I might not, the Cascada had a 3.6L engine with turbo!! That's more than I need.

More trouble than you need too.
On Mon, 8 May 2017 15:38:52 -0400, FrozenNorth

But Mikey isn't looking for a brand new one - and if he is that 4 cyl eco-boost will curl his hair - - -
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca submitted this idea :

Naaaa....get a convertable Lambo. They are much more fun.

The Chevy Cavalier. So cheap looking.
On 05/08/2017 04:31 AM, Micky wrote:

Ever notice women love to spend money? What's next? A new kitchen?
On 5/8/17 3:31 AM, Micky wrote:

Cut a bunch. Consumer Reports has an auto issue. Look through the magazine racks of your grocery store, Walmart, etc. Some of the car magazine publishers had an issue showing all of the model year's new buggies. A number of the "foreign" models are built in the U.S.A. if that's an issue.
On 05/08/2017 3:31 AM, Micky wrote: ...

Camaro
And on the subject topic, the 20" rims will make for a better ride than the smaller. The only one I would strongly recommend to avoid is the 19" and only because they're so much less common that tires are in ordinately expensive. I didn't think about it when bought the Enclave some years ago is how happen to now know...

On 5/8/2017 4:31 AM, Micky wrote:

Bigger wheel are as much for appearance as anything else. Remember when they went to 14' for a while back in 1958? Made the car lower. The larger diameter will give you more miles on he tires as it travels further each revolution.
As for ride, most tires today have low aspect ratio. Good for cornering, not so much for soft ride.
Not many convertibles to choose from thee days. Maybe they got better, but I no longer drive Buicks after the last one fell apart. It was a 2001 LeSabre Limited loaded with espensive problems, as all my GM cars had. I buy quality cars by Hyundia now including a Korea made Genesis. Love driving it.
Improvements in suspension design have allowed for lower profile tires with larger diameter rims - up to a point. As Pawlowski stated, those 20+" WAGON WHEELS are cosmetic, nothing more than libido boosters or for cruising the beach parking lot on a Friday evening.
On Mon, 8 May 2017 05:40:34 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

If it can give an adequate ride with 20" rims, wouldn't that same improved design give an even more comfortable ride with 15" rims?
It also has a sports-tuned suspension, which that girl who wants me to buy a new car likes. I like a soft, comfy suspension, so my passengers can sleep.

So what is a reasonable size wheel?
Micky wrote: "On Mon, 8 May 2017 05:40:34 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

If it can give an adequate ride with 20" rims, wouldn't that same improved design give an even more comfortable ride with 15" rims?
It also has a sports-tuned suspension, which that girl who wants me to buy a new car likes. I like a soft, comfy suspension, so my passengers can sleep.

"So what is a reasonable size wheel? "
15-16" diameter.

Another fa ctor is the aspect ratio of the tire as it can change the OD of the wheel a bit, next is the roads you travel on. Better to hit a pot hole or bump with a larger wheel/tire. Just as the difference in hitting a curb with a bicycle wheel or a chair canister. One takes the bump better.

Smaller rim with higher profile tire is better than big rim with low profile of the same rolling diameter.

Depends on the car, but whatever sized rim allows a 70 series tire to be the right rolling diameter is about as good as it gets. Not only the right rolling diameter, but fits the wheelwell to make it look decent, and llows full suspension and steering movement without hitting body or frame. Different for each vehicle.
16 inchers fit the bill for the majority of todays cars.