OT cars; tread depth

As I said before, my rental has more tread than the wear bars, but not too much more.

But... If it never snows and it never rains does it matter how much tread the tires have?

Don't race cars use slicks, for better traction?

Reply to
Micky

The width of the tire and solid rubber make for great traction on race cars because the entire tire is in contact with the pavement. Therefore, I would think the same for regular cars if the hypothetical of never raining or snowing were to exist. Though, one couldn't simple rely on a bald tire due to the reduced thickness. The tire would heat up and eventually blow. It would require added layers.

Reply to
Meanie

Nails and such on the road.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Ever see those cars in the rain? They stop the race because they slide all over the track. The tread is designed to channel the water away so the tread hits the road. Thus the reason for wear bars as at that point the tire will not work as well.

BTW, I've been traveling the past 10 days and at one stop I had a bee in the car. Landlady was right, it can happen every 50 years or so. Got it out before we drove off.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Sand on the road, oil on the road, dew on the road - all kinds of reasons NOT to run slicks (including heat and wear)

As for 20 inchers, it's all "eye candy" if you are not on the track.

Reply to
clare

LOL I don't know whether to tell her about this or not. She also doesn't want me to leave a bottle of water on the carpet or the ceramic tile; she took me to dinner at her son's restaurant but was telling me how I'd appreciate it more than the rental company if I'd dust my dashboard. I hadn't even noticed the dust.

Today I stepped into the bathtub with one foot with my sneaker on to see if the one-handle faucet can be disassembled, and she came home and said I should have put a towel in the bathtub before I stepped in it. It's true that I walk around outside with my shoes on, but even if I took a bath with the invisible amount of dirt that got left in the tub, it wouldnt' bother me. Or if I coudl see it, I might wipe it up.

A couple days ago she noticed I was barefoot. She said, Don't you wear something like these" (and she pointed to the things I hate that she was wearing, rubber sandals with a thick rubber thing between the big toe and the next one. (the index toe?). I said No. She said, Didn't you bring them with you? No. When you're home, do you go barefoot? Yes. Just say, I"d rather you didn't go barefoot. Instead she interrogates me.

Reply to
Micky

not to mention "slicks" aren't street legal. To be totally legal, the tires have to be DOT approved

Reply to
ChairMan

He used a hypothetical situation of no rain or snow. Play along.

Reply to
Meanie

And there ARE DOT approved "slicks". But I wouldn't want them on a daily driver for MANY reasons

Reply to
clare

This very endearing NOT! Did you f*ck her? If so she has you. If not then tell her to get f*ck away. Be a man.

Reply to
Tekkie?