car with splayed wheels.

I saw today what I think was a Subaru BRZ. Very pretty car (for a sedan) but what made it unusual were the wheels. All 4 were splayed. Isn't that the word when the bottoms of the wheels are farther from center than the tops. I'm not talking about camber or caster or what ever. These wheels looked like the whole ccar had been dropped 20 feet and some of the parts holding the wheels in place had broken.

The driver said they were supposed to be like this, but the pictures I've found on line have wheels like all the other cars.

This is a joint development with Toyota that calls it the 86 when they sell/sold it.

Okay, it is camber, negative camber.

Still this one was so extreme, and all 4 wheels.

Reply to
micky

Yep, extreme negative camber and, in terms of handling, it's all negative - no benefit. Stancing of that order is all about the look. Personally, to me it looks utterly ridiculous. The look of a wanker!

Modern wide low profile radial tyres work best when camber is close to zero. IOW, keep all of the tread flat on the road. Minimises tyre wear too.

Reply to
Xeno

Cop magnets also. They will stop you to check those wheel mods and bust you for exhaust / emission mods ; window tint ; etc and anything else that they can find. They try hard to pull the car off the road rather than just write tickets. John T.

Reply to
hubops

You are just like the British simpleton "Commander Kinsey" with no knowledge in Physics (or anything else).

All Formula One race cars have negative camber on all four tires.

The centrifugal force created when a race car is cornering will try to flip the race car over. The centrifugal force acts on the centre of gravity of the race car, through the point at the centre of the tyres on the inner side of the turn, and the angle of the line connecting the centre of the tyres to the point of contact with the road surface.

For normal cars with zero camber, the centre of the tyres are vertically (90 degrees) above the road surface. If you can move that point of road contact point farther out, that will make it more difficult for the centrifugal force to flip the race car.

For simple minded Brits, just imagine when someone pushes you from the side when you are standing at attention (both legs closed). It won't take much to push you over. Now imagine someone pushes you from the side when you are standing with your legs four feet apart. That will be very difficult to push you over from the side.

You have a simple mind.

You are the utterly stupid wanker!

That's not good for racing, simpleton.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Generally speeking the "splayed" look is the result of an incompetent lowering job combined with wheels with the wrong offset. It CAN givethe illusion - at least- of better cornering in a slalom but cancause some "hairy" handling. It's the "boy racer" look and possibly influenced by the "drifting" craze.

REALLY hard on tires and suspension components!!!

Reply to
Clare Snyder

The width gain is badly overbalanced by the handling problems introduced . Learn something about a subject before you spew . Not likely , but it might even make you look less like a fool .

Reply to
Snag

I know you over many years on various newsgroups.

There is more than just the little "width gain" (as you described) by using negative camber. Do you think the Formula One race car design engineers are stupid? By slanting the tires to the outside, the centrifugal force trying to flip the car through the center of gravity is applied in a way similar to a cyclist leaning to one side when cornering. It is very difficult for me to explain without drawing a diagram. You are too stupid to understand anyway even if I draw a diagram and post it to some public website. I have gone through 4 year of Engineering in university. Stop trying to bullshit me, please.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

He and I are talking about a street car, not a race car.

And he's not talking about racing and neither was I, and the car was at the stop sign in front of me, and the guy whose car it was said not a word about racing.

Why are you so negative, so insulting to someone who didn't say a negative word to you or to us?

Reply to
micky

In your own words , from above : >>> For normal cars with zero camber, the centre of the tyres are >>> vertically (90 degrees) above the road surface. If you can move that >>> point of road contact point farther out, that will make it more >>> difficult for the centrifugal force to flip the race car.

I've seen the drawings and your theory about CG changes via negative camber are pure bullshit . And motorcycle lean has nothing to do with the center of gravity , it is an example of vector sum forces . OK Mr. 4 years at university smartass . Since you're so smart , explain IN LAYMAN'S TERMS the differences between integral and differential calculus and which is to be used in what situations . You are allowed 3 paragraphs , using language an average high school graduate from the 1970's would understand .

Reply to
Snag

Such people try to emulate the effect and look of negative camber on race cars.

You are hopelessly stupid if you can't figure out the reason those people get the mod is to emulate the effect and look of a race car.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I studied Advance Calculus during those four years of Engineering in university. Differential equations and integration are piece of cake for me. I even invented a computer program to do unlimited dimension of integration, even the boundaries can be equations (functions) with variables, not just fixed numbers. Normal space-time dimensions are x, y, z axis and time (4 dimension), but in medicine or other applications like chemical reactions there are more dimensions then just 4.

You are too stupid to figure out the effect of slanting out the point of contact of the tires to the road surface has the effect of making the car harder to flip over when turning sharp corner at high speed, even after I have explained to you. There is no point for me to explain Mechanics to an idiot.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Since you refuse to engage me on an adult level and just call me stupid , I'll quit wasting my time on you .

Reply to
Snag

Others have mentioned it, but it may have gotten lost in the considerable noise.

The word you're looking for is stance. Do a Google image search for stanced cars and you'll see what it's about.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Approx. 3 degrees negative at the front and between 0 and 1 degrees negative at the rear. You won't visually see 1 degree of negative camber. The front suspension changes in load under cornering will increase or decrease camber by up to 5 degrees, the unloaded inner wheel typically losing camber and becoming vertical whilst the outer wheel will increase negative camber under cornering forces. The increase in cornering forces places pressure on tyre sidewalls so that the tread sits *flat* on the road. At the rear, traction is more important so less negative camber is the order of the day. As well, rear tyres are typically wider so too much negative camber will cause a *loss* in the tyre contact area because the tyre will be running on and contacting on only one side of the tread.

Sounds impressive but irrelevant to the negative camber. Oh, and there's no such an animal as centrifugal force. It's just a convenient fiction to explain *forces* to n*****ts like yourself.

Please try to understand the effect a lateral arm suspension has on camber under cornering.

Again, sounds impressive but irrelevant when referencing negative camber. What you should be focused on is the vehicle's roll centre versus G of G.

Now tell me that the car in the above link looks anything but ridiculous? Sitting only on 50% or less of the tyre contact area and of such a profile that, even with sidewall distortion, there's no hope of ever getting 100% contact patch engagement so handling is *compromised* at best and downright dangerous at worst.

Then you clearly do not understand racing. The important factor in any sort of car handling is tyre contact area and tyre slip angles. When you understand those two factors, come back and discuss it further. Thus far all you've been doing is throwing irrelevant bullshit into the mix. Basically, that tells me you do not have a clue about vehicle handling be it in racing or road use.

FWIW, I've done more car wheel alignments than you've had hot dinners.

Reply to
Xeno

Never seen a *stanced* race car. Ie. a *real race car*. Only seen it on poseur cars.

Reply to
Xeno

I call it the wanker look.

Pretty much!

Reply to
Xeno

Ask for, nay, *demand* your money back! You wuz robbed!

Reply to
Xeno

He has never seen the inside of a university in his life.

Reply to
Xeno

You are spouting the same bullshit like you said bulldog is friendly breed. Fuck off and troll somebody else. You don't have enough education to talk to me about Calculus or Mechanics, idiot.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Not to mention the rims are about half again as wide as the tire size would dictate.

Reply to
Clare Snyder