car with splayed wheels.

In the early Nineties, I sold a '76 Ford 4x4 pickup to a guy at work. People get used to tricks of their truck, and I forgot to warn him of mine. He ended up driving the pickup for sixty miles in low gear after the trick engaged while he was 4-wheeling. I then showed him the "magic trick" that solved the problem. Oops! I originally learned the magic trick through panic and desperation.

Reply to
Leonard Blaisdell

LOL I should have said that luckily I had to do my backing on very quiet streets. Maybe zero traffic while I was doing it.

Reply to
micky

This was a 1950 Oldsmobile, V-8, 300cid, maybe the first high compression engine. The speedometer only went up to 110 so that's where I stopped. Also it took 3 or 5 minutes to get from 100 to 110.

But when I got back to Chicago, my friend Rich, who I guess knew more stuff, asked Did you hide it? Huh? He explained I could have made the speedometer needle go behind the faceplate. Well, I didn't but that's okay.

When I first got back to Chicago I opened the hood to admire the engine, and there were bubbles coming out from one spot underneath a cylinder head. That upset me so I shut the hood quickly and didn't open it again for 2 weeks. When I did, the bubbles were gone. Problem solved.

Later I got a compression tester and the compression on two adjacent cylinders was low. But the car still ran fine. ON the turnpike from Chicago to Harrisburg, 85 mph much of the time, running smooth, no problems. And the car was 17 years old. My theory is that a small hole in a gasket between two cylinders will show low compression at cranking speeds, but at 3000rpm there isn't time enough for much gas to escape through a hole. Does that make sense?

Reply to
micky

I've done about the same but I wasn't worried about being chased by the cops. I was driving the police car. ;-)

Reply to
Xeno

When the Montana daytime speed limit was 'reasonable and prudent' many thought somewhere between 90 and 100 was reasonable. I can't say I was all that comfortable navigating a pack of soccer moms at 100. The Harley didn't have much left at that speed.

Reply to
rbowman

Don't let them catch you doing that.

Reply to
micky

How could they? They had only one police car in the entire district - and I had it! I had been doing some work on it and was out on a road test. IIRC, I had it up to 190 kph.

Reply to
Xeno

I tire of your spelling errors.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

No dog is violent, only the owner who teaches it.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Some dog breeds are inherently violent and need it to be trained out of them. Doesn't always work, as some have found to their surprise.

Reply to
Xeno

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Stop being such an ignorant bigot.

Reply to
Vladimir Putin

You're just plain ignorant.

Reply to
Xeno

Ignorant is someone with less experience, I've seen plenty "violent" dog breeds which make loving pets.

Reply to
Vladimir Putin