Why 20" wheels

I get interested in interesting questions but don't come here to ask without doing any homework.

Took me 10 seconds of Googling to find answer to your rambling question:

Frank

The Chevy Cavalier. So cheap looking.

Reply to
Micky

I didnt' know that. I'm sure she didn't either. And the webpage, to the extent I looked at it, gave no clue.

That sounds great. I think a decade or more ago I thought they made one, but I couldnt' find one. This time, I'll look harder.

Mustang sounds good too.

Reply to
Micky

My second car was a '65 Pontiac Catalina convertible that I got free from my brother when he went to Viet Nam.

It had so many things wrong with it. A vacuum hose was missing, so one coudn't accelerate without lurching, but the places the hose connected were not visible without climbing on the bumper.

The driver's window was almost an inch to the left of the roof.

The driver's window wobbled and when I took the door apart, I saw that one of the channels was still straight. They hadn't tightened the screw that bent it to match the curved window. Fixing that stopped the wobble but didn't get rid of the gap with the roof.

No fresh air was coming from the vents at the kickpads (Some here may not know that before AC there were big vents near one's feet.) When I went to look into it, the cables that opened the vents were not connected to the vent doors.

The battery was always dead. The dealer had replaced the battery, the alternator, and the starter twice each and then said the warranty had expired. When I got the car, I realized it needed another battery so I took it to Sears, in Chicago. He said, Do you want our free

832-point multicheck? And I said. I really just need a battery. And he said, "It's free", so I said Okay, and in less than 5 minutes he found what the dealer couldn't find in 2 years. A dirty connection of the battery cable at the starter motor solenoid. He cleaned it and the car was fine until I forgot and left the lights on for a couple hours. Then I had to take it apart and clean it, but after a few times, I would just push the cable around the bolt and that would fix it. I got so good that even in nice clothes I could reach under the car, get the cable and twist it around the stud and the car was fine.

And I may be missing some small things, but the last big thing was that the steering wheel was mounted upside down. So the turn signals were always turning off long before the car had turned the corner, just from steering corrections.. Not only that, it was designed upside down too. That's why the installer installed it upside down. It was grey translucent plastic with thicker sections, for holding it, meant to be at 2 and 10. But if was mounted with the thicker sections at 4 and 8. No one should hold the wheel that way, but when I turned the wheel upside down, something related to the horn circuit, that slid along a metal ring under the steering wheel, wasn't in the right place. I had to drill another hole through the hub of the steeering wheel and everything was fine after that.

I said I'd never buy another car like that, but the next car was a '67 Pontiac Catalina and the first 7 digits of the serial number were the same. But I had it for 7 years and it had nothing wrong with it. Go figure.

Reply to
Micky

If it can give an adequate ride with 20" rims, wouldn't that same improved design give an even more comfortable ride with 15" rims?

It also has a sports-tuned suspension, which that girl who wants me to buy a new car likes. I like a soft, comfy suspension, so my passengers can sleep.

So what is a reasonable size wheel?

Reply to
Micky

I understand the first one, but why does it reduce the weight if the wheels are bigger? Does the tire weigh more than the wheel at the 15 to 20" distance from the center?

In fact, when tires went from 14 to 15 to 16, I thought they just made the sidewall shorter, but to get to 20, they can't take 4 more inches off the side wall, so the whole radius must be bigger, and does't that increase the unsprung weight?

Reply to
Micky

I want a comfortable ride, and don't care about impressing chicks at the beach or maneuvering through hazards at high speeds.

I din't comment on it in my own reply, but I don't know what a "given rolling radius" is. I know given, rolling, and radius, but put them together and I don't know.

I think so too. That and the length of the hair of the girl sitting on the hood.

If they paint them the right color, they stop better so they can drive faster.

Reply to
Micky

So, a 20" wheel weighs less than the same design wheel in 18"? 16"

14""? You might want to rethink that one. The larger wheel has more metal due to the length of it's spokes and the metal around it's circumference. We all know that more metal weighs more.
Reply to
trader_4

I heard they were discontinuing the V6 Mustang, now it is the 4 or the 8 banger.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Looked at Ford Mustangs since I first posted, and they too, the new ones, only come with a black top. If I want tan, I'm sure what they'll want to do is take it to a shop in Baltimore and have him replace it, but I can't help thinking that the factory would have done a better job with the original top than he's likely to do with the replacement.

By low-profile, you mean the 20 inch tires, right? I don't want to get this wrong.

If so, that was my point, that the ride is hard. A long time ago when most people, especially single girls,. had small cars, and I stil had a 73 Buick Centurion, after riding with me for a while, she said, This car is really comfortable. She meant it too, she wasn't buttering me up or anything.

OTOH, I'm driving a tiny Kia Picanto with a 5-speed automatic** on my vacation, and it's quiet, has lots of pickup (especially if you do the downshifting yourself), does fine on gravel roads and climbing hills on gravel roads, but -- I'll check again tomorrow -- it doesn't have that comfort feeling that I like.

**Only about 20 dollars more per month than the manual, iirc. I know it wasn't much.
Reply to
Micky

I'll look into that**. I learned today that there is a V10. In Australia I think.

IIR and I might not, the Cascada had a 3.6L engine with turbo!! That's more than I need.

Reply to
Micky

It would seem to me that a 20" wheel is going to weigh more than an 18" or 16" wheel of the same design. Gordon said something about there being more air between the spokes, IDK, must be some new science thing. Even if you factor in lower profile tires on the larger rims, I doubt you get less overall weight for the larger rim and tire together.

Reply to
trader_4

As to googling, I don't get your point. Lots of these questions coudl be answered by googling, but then we woudln't have the conversations we have, which is a large reason people come here.

Reply to
Micky

Okay, I've read the article now, and I didn't say all of it, because I thought when I posted that almost everyone agreed with what he said,. and what I believed** And I posted here to get counter-arguments, if there were any. And I got them.

I did say I want a comfortable ride, which implies part of what the article says.

**(although he makes it out to be worse in ways I hadn't thought about and couldn't have predicted)

Also, he only gets up to 19" rims and shows lots of problems with them. He should try the 20" rims that the Cascada and I think others come with now.

BTW, I don't think the big rims look intrinsically hotter, or better, or more stylish. What they look is unusual, compared to the vast majoriity of smaller rims. And people equate unusal with avant guard, stylish, cool. Like green hair (in some circles) and piercing, which isn't unusual anymore, but they follow the others like sheep.

Reply to
Micky

The Car and Driver Frank posted at the end of the thread starts off by saying. in general, the bigger rims and tires weight more. "In general, larger wheels are heavier, and additional weight hinders performance. " The article is from 2010. Maybe that's why he didn't test 20" rims.

Reply to
Micky

All very interesting. Will take time to digest.

This especially.

Reply to
Micky

Your reading comprehension still needs work. First, because of a lower aspect ratio the tire will weigh less than the previous tire. Also I didn't say the design, or manufacturing process for that matter, was the same; but the larger wheel diameter provides a greater volume between the spokes and that volume is air. Air weighs less than aluminum, steel and rubber. Got it now?

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

The operative phrase is "in general."

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

No, discussion is good. I think most of your answers could have been gotten more readily from initial googling. I liked your question and ensued discussion which went beyond it.

Engineers I knew working on composites told me that they were most useful saving energy, i.e. increased mpg, in parts used in the running of the vehicle and not just a passive body part like a fender.

Reply to
Frank

If it can give an adequate ride with 20" rims, wouldn't that same improved design give an even more comfortable ride with 15" rims?

It also has a sports-tuned suspension, which that girl who wants me to buy a new car likes. I like a soft, comfy suspension, so my passengers can sleep.

"So what is a reasonable size wheel? "

15-16" diameter.
Reply to
thekmanrocks