Why 20" wheels

ROFL. More sp "There are several reasons for larger diameter wheels, none of which is styling.

  1. Larger diameter wheels allow larger diameter brake rotors that will result in a greater mechanical advantage. This results in increased stopping power.
  2. Larger diameter wheels, for a given rolling radius, reduces the vehicle's un-sprung weight which will allow the tire to remain on the road, where it's suppose to be, improving safety and handling. "

ROFL.

Reply to
trader_4

It does help that for sure, but he just keeps doubling down on his claim. He just posted links about going to ALLOY wheels reducing the unsprung weight compared to STEEL wheels. But you and I know the context and that was not at all what he claimed. The context was simply larger diameter wheels compared to smaller diameter ones. A reasonable person would take that to mean wheels that are the same except for the diameter. Any damned fool knows if you substitute a lighter metal, a design that used less metal, etc, it will weigh less. BTW, what happened to his argument about the air between the spokes? Now he says he was talking about race wheels, another red herring.

Reply to
trader_4

I missed that trader_4 is buried deep in my bozo bin. Unless there is a reference in someone's reply I see nothing he posts.

Reply to
rbowman

Tirerack has an interest in selling wheels. Alloy rims *may* weigh less than pressed steel. Alloy wheels *may* be more rigid. When I wanted a set of rims to mount my studs I bought American Racing. It wasn't for looks or performance -- they were only marginally more expensive than steel rims and a lot easier to find without haunting junk yards.

Invoking Formula One high end specialty wheels in a conversation started by Micky is a little off course. Trying to extrapolate from Formula racing to bigger wheels being better is even harder:

Short and fat is the way to go for F1. Don't even think about mentioning NASCAR -- 15" and steel.

Reply to
rbowman

Which competition? Not F1 and not NASCAR.

Reply to
rbowman

Your choice to avoid foreign cars.

But they last twice as long as American made cars.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Not necessarily true. Yes, some of the best cars, when it comes to lifespan and amount of repairs required, have proven to be (particularly) asian imports like the Toyota and Honda - but there are a LOT of old and very high mileage north americans vehicles as well - and with VERT few repairs. Although I am a strong believer in the Toyota in particular, having been a Toyota service manager for 10 years, and having owned a few, I am currently driving FORDS - because I can buy them a lot cheaper than Toyotas used, and I will never waste my money on a brand new car.

My current personal vehicle is a 21 year old Ranger 4 liter standard transmission standard cab long box pickup with about 352000km on the clock. The clutch was replaced at 307000km because the internal release cyl failed and while it was apart it just made sense to replace the whole clutch - even though it was only less than half worn. The front brakes had been replaced at about 275000km before I bought the truck - and I have replaced them twice - once when the pads failed, and once when the rotors pitted and I took the opportunity to install larger rotors. It has had a cam synchronizer replaced and a serpentine belt tensioner as well as a few vacuum hoses, a couple of tail lighy bulbs, and 2 drivers side door handles. Truck still looks like new. Pretty much what you would expect of a well cared for Toyota pickup -

- - .

Reply to
clare

I'm presently not ready to filter him. I'm not convinced, as yet, that he should be 'binned' as you put it. I don't know him (or most of you) well enough to make an informed decision, so soon. I require more information before I can reach such a conclusion.

Reply to
Diesel
[snip]

I didn't say anything about the paint color, specifically. I wrote that some paints have additional heat dissipation properties...

Are you speaking for others again? I've made no attack towards you.

Reply to
Diesel

Any many of them are made in America too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Was the Ford I had that was assembled in Mexico, American or Mexican? How about the Nissan assembled in Tennessee? Was it Japanese or American?

Most go by name plate alone but even if they relate it to the country where the company started it may be foreign owned.

I consult for a company established and making products in the US that sold the business to the UK who sold it to an EC conglomerate that sold it to the Japanese who now own it. Products are still made in the USA.

If parts are an issue, I might mention I worked with an engineer that had left Ford in Detroit and his last assignment had been to adapt a Ford model to accept a Japanese engine.

Reply to
Frank

Fine, just show us any studies that show these paints that you allege are used on brake components to dissipate heat and that they provide any real world, measured benefit. Note that some gearheads spraying something on their brake calipers because they think it works doesn't count,.

Np. Just pointing out how you start you open with disparaging remarks and that I'm waiting for you to post your supporting evidence to back up your claim. Stop the usual diversion into the wilderness. Until then, I say it's nonsense.

Reply to
trader_4

Imagine that your tires don't have infinite adhesion to the pavement and that any braking system can lock up the brakes. In other words, it's a lot more complicated than you assume.

Reply to
trader_4

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca submitted this idea :

Naaaa....get a convertable Lambo. They are much more fun.

Reply to
Naturous

Hmm. Are you incapable of using a search engine? I'm really not the sort who likes to hand hold...

See above.

Reply to
Diesel

I tend not to listen to what others think of a specific poster. I like to reach my own conclusions. By observing and if no risk via observation is determined, interacting with them.

Likewise. I have blocked all posts from remailers, only because the flooding tended to clog my screen up and I didn't want to scroll through bullshit thread subject after bullshit thread subject to find other subjects. It's a shame the coward feels the need to abuse the remailers in such a manner, as they were never intended for stalking and harassing other usenetters.

I'm sure i'm not the only one who's filtered them at this point, either. Which has the nasty side effect, if an individual used one for a legitimate purpose, anyone who's filtered them wouldn't see the post, unless someone else quoted it, and depending on the filtering system, not even then.

Yes well, that can happen. Especially when one thinks he/she is an untouchable keyboard coyboy free to do whatever they like. I do slightly regret not paying BD a visit in person when I was in his neck of the woods. I should have, in hindsight. I would have enjoyed observing his body language when I walked up and introduced myself.

It would have been even better if I caught up with him while he was on a stroll with his lovely wife. I could have had an in person chat with her and let her know what her husband has been doing online, for years now. As I strongly suspect he's kept her in the dark concerning his online activities, which mostly consist of stalking people.

If I ever get the opportunity to visit his area again, when he's not off boating in the canals, I think I might just do that. I just don't feel the doxing multiple times on him in a much larger scale than that of usenet makes us even. Even with the new releases and the new picture included with them, I still don't think we're even. I feel he still owes me. I'd very much like to place my hands on him and explain things in a manner he might better understand.

What he does wouldn't be tolerated anywhere that I know of irl, I don't see why he thinks it's okay because it's done online, instead.

Reply to
Diesel

No, but you are incapable of understanding that it's up to the one making the claim to support it. Which, obviously you can't do.

Next!

Reply to
trader_4

Uncle Monster ALSO knows where YOU live, Dustin J Cook.

I showed him!

ASK him! :-)

Reply to
David B.

"I suspect you know very little about race cars of various kinds based on what you've written..."

That was your first reply back to me, when you made the claim that the paint used on brake calipers can have a material effect on heat and performance. Call it what you will, it's not very nice. Especially when you apparently don't know WTF you're talking about.

Here is the claim you made:

Diesel: "Some paints have additional heat dissipation properties which can extend the life of the caliper, rotor, and brake pads. As, over heated pads aren't providing much if any stopping ability"

Also note the segue into the wilderness, I said nothing about race cars. Again, context is part of your problem, we were talking about 20"wheels on Micky's car, street cars. But heh, I even opened it up for you to include race cars. Show us the sources for your claim that the paint used can have a material effect on the braking performance. Any credible study would be a good place to start.

And no, it's not up to me or anyone else to go find the sources for your claims.

Even you obviously recognize that characteristic of many of your posts, yet above you deny it.

Reply to
trader_4
[snip]

Sure he does. There's been, what, five or six addresses posted on me so far? :) I've mentioned my property layout in detail on several occasions, discussed some of the things I've got sitting around here, on several occasions. Even complained, multiple times about my lack of grass and a pile of dust instead on my equipment. But, you go ahead and assume you got me, David. :)

Reply to
Diesel