Why 20" wheels

Another fa ctor is the aspect ratio of the tire as it can change the OD of the wheel a bit, next is the roads you travel on. Better to hit a pot hole or bump with a larger wheel/tire. Just as the difference in hitting a curb with a bicycle wheel or a chair canister. One takes the bump better.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Smaller rim with higher profile tire is better than big rim with low profile of the same rolling diameter.

Reply to
clare

Yes, and many offer 17 or 18 on the upscale models. Common to also have a $12,000 price difference between the basic and fancy models of the same car.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

+1

Bizarre how he focuses on the "air" between the spokes and totally ignores that a larger diameter wheel has longer spokes, signigicantly more metal in it's circumference, etc. This is a gem too:

"Also I didn't say the design, or manufacturing process for that matter, was the same"

It's obviously at least implied. We all know that if you compare a

18" steel wheel of one design with a lot of metal in it, with a 20" aluminum wheel of a design that also uses less metal, the 20" one could indeed weigh less. But that obviously wasn't the context of the thread. He claimed that larger wheels simply weigh less because there is more air between the spokes and that they were used to reduce the un-sprung weight.

Someone posted a link to Car and Driver where they measured the results of going to larger wheels. It included the weight of the wheels and tires, in every case the larger wheel/tire weighed more. Along with that, many cars using larger wheels, also use larger brake rotors, calipers, etc, also adding to the weight.

And then he has attitude?

Reply to
trader_4

When you have a credible study that backs that up, let us know. Until then, I'm betting that any difference in radiated heat because of paint color are inconsequential.

As, over heated pads aren't providing much if any

Which, until proven otherwise, has virtually nothing to do with the color.

I see, but sure, go ahead and start another attack with your typical disparaging opening remarks. When you have a study that shows what you claim, let us know.

but, I do have a

Funny, I thought we were talking about Micky's car, not a race car, driven at extremes. But go ahead, show us a study of race cars and the effect of brake component color being significant and we'll all look at it.

Reply to
trader_4

Well, I'd say that's something, since you claimed that reason #2 for going to a larger wheel was to reduce un-sprung weight. So, at least "in general", you're wrong, because in general, it seems that the larger the wheel, the heavier the wheel/tire combo.

Reply to
trader_4

The "Got it now" was a sanrky reply specifically aimed at trader_4 when he used that same snarky reply to me. OK?

Here are a couple links that support my statements in this thread:

Gordon Shumway

Apparently street legal wheels (a rim is only one component of a wheel) and competition wheels is why our beliefs are diametrically opposed. I focused on competition wheels only which is why I said earlier that the trend to larger wheels was born in competition.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

I don't know, but it would probably be well over $10K at a minimum.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

That depends on what an "average" car is, but you're probably right.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

No, and I have said that from the beginning.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

I no longer see Trader's posts (likely a lot of others have binned him too) - reply with, hey Trader, Got it now? " and everyone will know who you are replying to - - - ?

Reply to
clare

So it's my fault you don't see his posts?

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Nope - it's HIS.

Reply to
clare

Damn, I sure can't argue with that!

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

You COULD try!! It would, however, be totally ineffective.

Reply to
clare

LOL!

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Did you hear somebody say something?

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

What total BS. I don't see that those links support what you claimed in any way. You claimed one benefit of larger diameter wheels is that they reduce unsprung weight, ie that they weigh less than a smaller diameter wheel. Here's an example of what your links say:

"While many people choose aftermarket alloy wheels for their beauty, there are equally important performance benefits to be derived.

Reduced Unsprung Weight Compared to Steel Wheels"

That is very different from what you claimed. Of course substituting alloy wheels for steel wheels can reduce unsprung weight. That isn't what you claimed. And you doubled down by claiming that because there is more air between the spokes of larger wheels, they weigh less. Good grief, you're just like Trump. Get something wrong, then just continue to make an ass of yourself and double down, deny, deny, deny.

Reply to
trader_4

Feel free to live in your own little world of ignorance.

Reply to
trader_4