Edison screw fittings

I installed an Edison screw lightbulb and it did not work. I loosened the bulb and it then worked. Is it a design feature that ES fittings do not work if too tight or is this just a quirk?
On Saturday, 3 December 2016 11:14:22 UTC, Scott wrote:

It's a fault, not a quirk.
ES fittings are crappier than crap BC ones.
Owain

Like hell they are. Crap BC sockets have too soft metal and it isnt hard to end up with a bent bit with the small bit that holds the pin.
Nothing like that with ES. The only real mechanical downside with ES is that is does allow gorillas to screw the bulb in much tighter than is necessary.
On Sun, 4 Dec 2016 04:27:52 +1100, "Rod Speed"

Were you not denying this was a problem 12 minutes ago?
wrote

I never said it wasn't a problem in that post, I JUST said that it was the reason for the result seen with a faulty one.

Just a quirk of that particular socket. I have most of mine ES and don't get that effect at all.
The physical structure means that you can apply a lot more pressure with an ES bulb and socket than you can otherwise, that's all.
Yes I've seen this issue many moons ago on some movie lights. Turned out to be a naff bit ofcrimping on the centere stud where a small short wire when to the connection screw for the incoming wire. Well it was branded Boots so I guess it was made for them not by them! Brian
--
----- -