Why are kitchen island hoods so expensive?

I've been looking at island hoods online and am disturbed at the prices being thown up for island units. Can anybody tell me why there can be such a difference between chimney hoods and island hoods considering that even the ones which require external motors are just as expensive (which is the type I am after as it happens).

As I am very reluctant to pay the ammounts the online dealers are charging, does anyone know if there are any stainless steel fabricators who do domestic hoods in the uk who would be worth contacting directly.

TIA Sean

Reply to
Sean

Reason 1 is that the production volumes are smaller than for wall mounted hoods.

Reason 2 is that island hoods often use more material

Reason 3 is that they are often 'designer' in nature

For reason 4, have you ever heard the expression "why does a dog lick its balls"?

You might try TLC Electrical. They had the best pricing when I bought an Elica unit for built in use by a long way. They may not have what you want in stock or on web site but can get it.

Have a look on the web site of the Elica distributor, DR Cooker Hoods. DR don't sell directly. Elica make almost all of the brand labelled hoods.

I would exhaust that first before looking at fabricators. I have a feeling that they would not save a lot if any and results might look quite industrial. You might want an industrial look of course :-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

"Sean" wrote | I've been looking at island hoods online and am disturbed | As I am very reluctant to pay the ammounts the online dealers are | charging, does anyone know if there are any stainless steel | fabricators who do domestic hoods in the uk who would be worth | contacting directly.

Local commercial catering stainless steel fabricator, see yellow pages.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

They're much more 'fashionable' is probably the major reeason. If you've got an island unit cooker then it's probable (at least in the eyes of the people selling cooker hoods) that you've got an expensive designer kitchen so they can charge silly money for the hood.

Reply to
usenet

Have just checked their website Andy. Thankyou I've notived that the Island hood versions with external motors are roughly £250 dearer. Since I've got my external motor and ducting, do you think that they could supply the hood itself minus the motor (and the extra expense)? Still seriously expensive though

Reply to
Sean

How high is your ceiling ? Ours was low enough that we decided to mount a flush unit in the ceiling over the hob and run it at a higher speed when needed.

And to us it looks tidier as well.

Reply to
G&M

I believe that there are some, yes, because there is an external motor option.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Ah the old desirabilty mark up! I thought as much myself. Could not see where the extra material costs affected things that much. Think I'm going to pursue the steel fabrication route first rather than pony out a fortune on a lump of sheet steel and a couple of spots

Reply to
Sean

Its 3.0 metres but we've dropped a 16" square column by 12 inches already as I've read that it is difficult to source a hood that would be long enough for this height of ceiling. I take it that 2.7m is too high?. I believe the fan can run up to 820m3/hr so would it be feasible or am I just guaranteeing a sticky ceiling?

Reply to
Sean

Having just purchased a new hob, oven, splashback and hood, I found the best prices with RTD

May still be more than you want to spend though (£413 for a stainless steel and glass

90cm baumatic island hood including VAT and delivery).

Just preface this last comment by mentioning that I'm not affiliated with them in any manner, but I've found them to be fast, helpfull, friendly and cheap.

Hope this helps a little

Seri

Reply to
Seri

Sounds rather a lot I'm afraid. I think you really do need an island unit.

Reply to
Mike