Potterton Suprima 30 lockout

I have a Potterton Suprima 30 and guess what it locks out! The house is 5 years old so guess the boiler is, surley the last owner did not choose the model!!

Playing around and logging the times it resets, it seems to happen more often when the hot water is hot in the storage tank. Also the water does seem to get very hot!? The other day it would simply not come back on until I emptied the hot water out of the tank!

Talking to my dad (ex plumber) and brother (ex Potterton Suprima owner) We feel it could be the following in this order?.

  1. Faulty overheat sensor
  2. Faulty thermostat allowing the water to get too hot and triggering the above. (This is taken from another post so unsure if they mean the one on the tank?)
  3. Faulty PCB
Reply to
Mike W

Can you tell us a bit more about the rest of the system - whether fully pumped, what zone valves, room stats, cylinder stats, TRVs etc. you've got, whether there is a by-pass circuit, and how the pump is controlled.

It's distinctly possible that the boiler is *actually* overheating due to external factors, and is not faulty in itself.

Reply to
Set Square

On 15 Nov 2004 16:30:49 -0800, a particular chimpanzee named snipped-for-privacy@wrightcs.co.uk (Mike W) randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

My Potterton Suprima 30 locks out on occasions (and yes, mine came with the house).

Recently going through the flow chart, it appeared to be a fault with the thermistor (which I replaced - £13.59 inc PP from

but on closer examination the connectors on the PCB were loose. I soldered them back, which seemed to fix the problem in the short term.

Last weekend, it locked out again two or three times; it sounded like the water was beginning to boil in the boiler, so maybe the temperature cutout is doing its job. I think the system needs flushing.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

In message , Mike W writes

What's the price of a sensor? £15 ?

one of my pcbs £45

probability that it's the pcb ... about 80%

Have you tested the sensor?

I can't remember the resistance offhand at room temp (I seldom test them myself anymore) but it should be IIRC several 100k.

If it isn't then the overwhelming probability is that it's the pcb

Reply to
raden