Potterton Suprima problems

I'm sure I know what the answer will be before I ask, but..

I have a Potterton Suprima 30 b/f boiler which has an intermittent firing problem. The boiler does not fire up, either on start or when heat is demanded. The pump is circulating, but it appears that the fan which kicks in before the ignition fires doesn't start.

The problem seems to occur in fits and starts; it can be months between occurrences, but when it happens it happens several times over a number of days, but not all the time. Normally a press of the Reset button will fire it up, but over the last few days, it's not always worked first time.

The PCB was replaced in 1999, when the boiler was a couple of years old, and the problem didn't re-occur until last year. Looking at it today, the PCB looked fine to the naked eye (no obvious arcs or dry solder joints), as did the wiring with the exception of the HT lead to the ignition, which was ever so slightly frayed. I don't think this is the problem; the boiler appears to ignite OK, it's the preliminaries which seem to be the problem.

Any ideas? Is it time to replace the PCB again?

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

I have a Suprima 100 BF which is nearly 4 years old. Towards the end of last year it intermittently failed into a 'lock out' condition. Pressing the reset button would sometimes coax it back into life. At other times a complete power off for 5 or 10 minutes was needed. I had my (ex) plumber out to service the boiler and he hadn't a clue about the intermittent fault.

I removed the PCB and re-soldered all the joints for the connectors and quite a few other ones that looked a bit dodgy. All has been well since. I was told (in Plumb Center) that Potterton changed the manufacturer of Suprima PCBs last year and replaced all PCBs in unsold boilers.

There is someone who contributes to this NG who's firm IIRC repairs the PCBs.

HTH Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

That would be Geoff his website is-

helped me out with my old potterton lynx boiler packed up, very helpful chap.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

I had a similar problem,and that was cured with a new fan from cetltd,excellent service

Reply to
Alex

I should have added with the same boiler as you

Reply to
Alex