Potterton Suprima 80 "Lockout"

Potterton Suprima 80 Boiler Lockout ============================

I'm getting a rather too frequent red flashing light on our Potterton Suprima 80 boiler which indicates "lockout" after 3 attempted lights. This is invariably corrected by pressing the reset button, ie it then lights and seems OK for a while (day or so). I recently opened the boiler up and cleaned the jets etc. That sorted it out for about 4 days but it's now happened again.

Can anyone tell me what the usual causes of this are, and what one usually has to do? I replaced the fan about 9 months ago, and that seems to be working fine.

Reply to
David Longley

Its almost certainly the board - Exactly this happened to my Suprima 80 Jan 2003 and Geoff of CET (I think I got all that right) does exchange boards. He posts here and will probably see this and offer / confirm symptoms. Great service - minimal down time (January was cold !!)- recommended - no connection other than as a satisfied customer.

Nick

Reply to
nick smith

Been there done that - two weeks ago!!

Mine would fire once, then cut out when the boiler stat was satisfied, then never fire again. Had to power off then on to recover.

You will find lots of threads on this boiler range already posted.

Usually the printed circuit board at fault. Easy to change. £160 + VAT etc. new OR go to:

and get an exchange board with good service thrown in,(probably better than new as the new boards allegedly still have duff soldering)and a lot cheaper.

I did, everthing ok now.

However, suggest you first go to the Potterton site and download the installation PDF. It describes the ignition sequence and has a troubleshooting flow chart. Worth a look before you commit to a change of PCB.

HTH

Bill M

Reply to
Bill M

Wish I'd seen this reference earlier this year when I replaced a faulty Potterton PCB (even at trade price it was over £100) CET want £25 :-( The old one only has a faulty relay but I couldn't find a replacement relay in a reasonable time frame.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

Its most probably the PCB - try Geoff at CET Ltd for advice / spares - exchange boards at around £30 -£40

Nick

Reply to
nick smith

Ditto.

Removed PCB and remade all the soldered joints - result: no more lock outs. Poterton 'Tech Support' had previously told me that there were no widespread problems with the Suprima boilers. This I found especially amusing as my local Plumb Center told me that Poterton had replaced all the PCBs in unsold Suprima boilers last year having dumped the previous PCB manufacturer.

Reoldering the joints is not difficult with patience.

Reply to RJSavage at Bigfoot dot com

Reply to
Richard Savage

I'd beg to differ.

Had mine out last year - and you'd have to be pretty good with a soldering iron and have a pretty steady hand to be sure not to short some of the connectors. I'm good with a soldering iron but didn't feel happy with the distance between some of the pins.

2 different solutions - one - get a refurb PCB as suggested elsewhere. Or take out a maintenance contract and hope it's OK on the day they inspect......

I wonder just how many times Potterton can say to people "First we've heard of it, mate".

-Rob

Reply to
Rob

Fair enough. I have a ancient but efficient (de)soldering station but even so I opted to use a bog standard Antex 21W iron with a narrow bit along a with a manual solder sucker and it was fine.

Absolutely!

Similar experience with my shower pump - it refused to work after a holiday. No problem, it's less than a year old. Oh dear, it must be located not mre than 6' from the HW tank (slightly closer than the 40 odd foot away that mine was. So, relocate pump then phone Techflow, who just sent me a different starter capacitor!

Richar ;-)

Reply to
Richard Savage

Dear fellow "Lock-out" sufferers

The corgi experts and the Spare parts vendors inform us that Suprima came out of the factory with problematic PCBs, and Potterton recalle Suprimas on the shelfs and replaced them with the new type PCB t alleviate this problem.

Scores of people in various heating forums are wondering, soldering trying to help each other and paying from £50 to £250 to change th faulty PCBs, yet nobody questioned whether Potterton should correc this inherent manufacturing fault on their own expence.

Why do we not all UNITE and demand this.

I wrote to Potterton and also sent the plea below to Watchdog:- Dear Sir/Madam, We wonder if you could help us with this. There is an inherent problem regarding Potterton CH Suprima boilers which we started suffering about two months ago, on our 3-4 yrs ol boiler. Warranty expired. From the postings of scores of fellow sufferers on this, in various we forums (diybanter.com, DIYnot.com, etc),it is clear that the Suprim range of boilers, which all incorporate the same type of PCB (Printe Circuit Board)the heart and brains of controlling the boiler, was manufacturing fault. As soon as Potterton noticed it 3 yrs ago they recalled and changed th PCBs with a new type on all Suprima boilers on the shelf. Me and the other people on the forums contacted Potterton, but the refused to admit the fault. Could you help us please?. Regards, and thank you for the wonderful program Nick

Comments and extra suggestions would be appreciated, Thank you Nicholas

Rob Wrote:

-- ulindel

Reply to
ulindel

Letter sent to BBC Watchdog, as per suggestion. Comments and extra suggestions would be appreciated, Thank you Nicholas

"......Dear Sir/Madam, I wonder if you could help us with this. There is an inherent problem regarding Potterton CH Suprima boilers which we started suffering about two months ago, on our 3-4 yrs ol boiler. Warranty expired. From the postings of scores of fellow sufferers on this, in various we forums (diybanter.com, DIYnot.com, etc),it is clear that the Suprim range of boilers, which all incorporate the same type of PCB (Printe Circuit Board)the heart and brains of controlling the boiler, was manufacturing fault. We heard that as soon as Potterton noticed it 3 yrs ago they recalle and changed the PCBs with a new type on all Suprima boilers on th shelf. Me and the other people on the forums contacted Potterton, but the refused to admit the fault. Could you help us please?. Regards, and thank you for your wonderful program Nicholas. .......

-- ulindel

Reply to
ulindel