Flue gas analyser

Looking for recommendations for a flue gas analyser, and a vendor, with the criteria being cheap, for very occasional use. I've hired one in the past, but as I may service 3-4 boilers this summer, I suspect it's going to be no more expensive to buy one, and I'll have it for the future.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I have seen Telegan readers go fairly cheap on eBay before now. One went for ~£30 a few months ago.

sPoNiX

Reply to
sPoNiX

If you are looking for new I believe HRPC are running a promotion at the moment. A visit to your nearest branch may be useful. Beware of the oxygen cell life as replacements are expensive plus calibration often required. A wet set such as Brigon/Fyrite may be more appropriate for infrequent and limited use

Reply to
John

Yep they don't tell you the real running cost is about £150 every 2 years. I think they are now down to about £300 new or even a bit less.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I have a kane 400 which I bought from BES for a bit under £200 on a special offer. It works well although I notice now that the price has gone up a bit.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I think I paid £399 (including VAT) for mine so that was a good deal. They do however cost £75/year average to run. 8-(

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Andrew, 25 years ago I used to use a "Fyrite" analyser for setting up CO2 incubators. It was like a plastic dumbell about 8 " across which held entrapped a measured volume of gas. Having collected the gas sample you shook it all about and the CO2 dissolved in a solvent causing the liquid level to move against a manometer scale giving a reading of % CO2 . It looked to be about a £40 quid touch.

Doing a web search on "Fyrite"showed me how much the technology has changed. :-(

But it may be be somewhere to start!

DG

Reply to
derek

Silly question: What PPM CO do budgies detect.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

"Ian Stirling" wrote | Andrew Gabriel wrote: | > Looking for recommendations for a flue gas analyser, | Silly question: | What PPM CO do budgies detect.

Wouldn't the problem be calibrating the budgie traceable to National Standards? AIUI they become unusable after the first detection.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Funny you should say that, my budgie died the day our new oil central heating was switched on back in 67.

Now canaries were sometimes used in mines and could discriminate between CO, N2+CO2 and methane (afterdamp, blackdamp and firedamp) depending on their behaviour and position. They were more sensitive to noxious fumes than humans but I don't know how much more. Sensitivity to CO is related to both the fraction of CO and time exposed, a man will collapse in 0.5% CO within 10mins, followed by death in 15mins. Collapse is at 25mins and death in 35 in a 0.2% CO concentration.

I would quite like to know what a long term safe maximum level of CO is (my interest is to do with the use of non flued cooking devices inside a house).

AJH

Reply to
sylva

I think you'd have to have a little ventilator, to stick it on after a detection. Or just treat the birds as a consumable :)

Reply to
Ian Stirling

"Ian Stirling" wrote | Owain wrote: | > | > Looking for recommendations for a flue gas analyser, | > | Silly question: | > | What PPM CO do budgies detect. | > Wouldn't the problem be calibrating the budgie traceable to | > National Standards? AIUI they become unusable after the first | > detection. | I think you'd have to have a little ventilator, to stick it on | after a detection. | Or just treat the birds as a consumable :)

Yes, no need to waste them. Have some filo pastry, plum sauce, and a hot oven handy and consume the consumables as a tasty snack.

Owain

Reply to
Owain