Potterton suprima

I have a potterton suprima 60 boiler which over the last 2 weeks has gradually got worse with the locking out problem. I've had the PCB out , fan, air pressure switch ( which i have tested for continuity) cleaned all contacts. Everytime I have a look at the innards of the boiler( 3-4 times so far) it works perfectly for 24-36 hours before starting to lock out more and more frequently until it goes straight to lock out after a few attempts at lighting. At the moment the boiler ignites and burns for a few seconds but the the green light continues to flash at high frequency instead of going on continuously as it should , the burner then extinguishes. According to the fault finder flow chart the problem is either with the PCB or the gas valve, depending on whether there is 300vDC between red and black wires to the gas valve. I need to get a volt meter to check this. The PCB is a reconditioned unit from CETltd which I purchased last Winter after similar lock out problems although last years problems were sorted out with a new air pressure switch. When I took the PCB out I noticed some scorch marks around some of the resisters on the middle of the board. My gut instinct is to replace the PCB again as this seems to be the common fault with these boilers. It seems like the control is not getting a boiler has lit signal and so switches off the gas valve. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Thorogood

Amongst other possible causes - Check for a break in the ignition/flame sense lead. A gap will permit sparks to pass but block the sensing current.

Reply to
John

Yes this is the most likely cause. I had exactly the same problem with mine a while ago and replacing the ignition/flame sense lead fixed it.

Reply to
Jeff Allen

Thanks, I'll get a replacement lead and try it, maybe a break in the sense lead would explain why it works for a day or so after I've had the cover off and checked al the connections.

Reply to
Jim Thorogood

In message , Jim Thorogood writes

They're diodes and they do get hot and scorch the pcb a bit, it's normal

Check the resistance of the gas valve solenoid (should be several kohms IIRC, at least not open or short circuit)

Check the voltage to the solenoid - it's normally about 260 volts

Are you getting sparks from the ignition circuit ?

There are several other possibilities, so ring me and I'll see what we can diagnose - 01923 229224

Reply to
raden