Why are stairlifts so slow?

Why are stairlifts so slow? A whole minute to get upstairs is not acceptable for an old person desperate for the toilet.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I'm not asking for fast, just say.... walking speed! They all go at some stupidly low speed about half a mile an hour. There's no way anyone would consider double that to be dangerous.

Or anyone who's old. And how about to answer the door?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

37 seconds actually.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

It's a wonder that you have any shit left.

Reply to
John

Prat.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Actually this question has come up before. The reason I was given many years ago now, was inertia. IE if it went up fast, it would jolt at the start and end of the run. And if you made it slow down and speed up, then it would probably still take a long time as the distance travelled in the main is a short one, and people are heavy loads to move. I guess one could make a three point seat belt system but by the time you have done it up and undone it, you might as well have been going slower anyway! On the other hand, a commode mounted on a Chairlift might be a good product to make. grin. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I imagine economics comes into play also. I small motor geared down is cheaper than a larger, more powerful motor.

-dan z-

Reply to
slate_leeper

I want to live in Rod's world. He does EVERYTHING perfect and never has problems. His way is always the best way. Rod for president! Oh damn, he's not a US citizen. WHEW!

Reply to
Hawk

It is all about the gearing to be able to get your fat heavy ass up there. Shift you car to 4th from a stop and see how far you go.

Reply to
Thomas

We bought a house about 15 years ago that has 2 bedrooms and a bathroom upstairs. The master bedroom and bathroom is on the first floor. So is the washing machine. Now that we are in our 70's it was a wise decision to have everything we need on the first floor. We did remodle the bathroom before moving in. Best decision for us was to replace the bathtub with just a walk in shower. We only have to step up about 3 inches to get into the shower. We also had a grab bar put in that is screwed into the studs to hold on to. There is a tub upstairs if we want it, but have not used it very much.

I never did understand why people would build a house with all the bedrooms upstairs. Fine maybe for the younger, but not the older.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Again, you don't know the answer. But then you can't afford stairs.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Er, in UK English the 'first floor' *is* upstairs! :-)

Most houses have a 'ground floor' and a 'first floor' in the UK. Yes, I know it's not very logical but that's the way it is.

Reply to
Chris Green

Agreed. Although in the case of the stairlift, at any speed you are safe due to the supplied belt. If you don't use it, your fault not theirs, so no compensation claim, nothing for them to worry about. And they could even make it disable the motor if you don't fasten the belt.

Agreed. Although I've seen nobody in the UK wearing a mask, we don't bother.

Agreed. When a fat person says they have a medical problem, I just say "Eat. Less. Food." You don't need to change your diet, just eat less of it. Or go for a run or something, it's not rocket science.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

As a practical matter some houses don't have much choice. My first house had LR, DR, Kitchen on the first floor, no room for a BR but there were three on the second floor. In the city where land is expensive and limited it is sensible to go up, not out. Oh, laundry was in the basement making it even more fun.

Second house was better, this house is perfect, three BR on one floor.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The labeling on many things ,especially in different countries can be confusing.

My house would probably confuse some. It has a walkout basement (even with the ground on one side with a door but the other wall is underground, then the floor that we call the 1st floor, then the 2nd floor. So depending on where you go in the house may determine what you call the floors.

In the US I have seen elevators in buildings labeled G,1,2 for the Ground (where you normally go into the building) and some just 1,2,3. Then there is the floor called Lobby. Also the normal floor to go in and out of the building. Seems to me that for the blind there is a big star raised next to the normal into and out of the building floor along with the dots for the floors.

The large plant I worked in was built and added on to over about 40 years. Some parts the floors were very tall and the height of 2 normal floors. So you are walking down the floor and it is the 2nd floor. You pass through an opening about 15 feet wide and it becomes the 3 rd floor. Then go to the other side of the building and the floors are 1, mezzanine, 2,3. So going down a hallway about 200 feet long you start on the 2nd floor, go through an opening in the wall and you are on the Mezz floor, and then through another opening and you are on the 3 rd floor.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Depends on the make, if your stairs have corners, how many steps, etc, etc. A minute is close enough. And 37 seconds is still way too much, considering an able bodied person can walk up those stairs in something like 5-10 seconds without running.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Who is Arbery?

That's a stupid American abbreviation.

How is it stupid not to know all the jailbirds?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

He's a geek controlling his life with his phone. It'd be funny if it was dropped, broken, lost, stolen etc.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Lucky you, many old people don't get warning.

Geek. Most people just shout "just a minute!"

Severe geek.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Havent noticed anyone do it like that. Its normally called the ground floor or the first floor depending on the country based on what is at roughly ground level with the front door.

Sure, a few houses don't have just once front door, but most do have one primary door except f****ng great country mansions or real castles etc.

I spose a few big houses that had been converted into flats and them back to just one house might well end up with more than one front door but it would be rather uncommon for those to be on different floors. There are a few with big ramps up to the higher one, and stairs etc to down to a lower one but even with those the lower one isnt normally called the first floor or the ground floor.

Never seen that here. Dunno what the blind do about that here. Brian might comment about the UK, he is blind but he doesn't appear to read all posts.

Yeah, some houses are done like that in part of the ground/first floor too but that is normally the floor you enter the house by.

Reply to
Rod Speed