all the sudden, I see many insect

Hi

All the sudden I start seeing many of these insects, please see the picture below. I found today like 10-12 dead of them in different locations of the home. What is that exactly? Why I have them? How can I get rid of them? Thank you very much

leza wang

That's a Brown marmorated stink bug.

Very common for them to get in the house. Like Ladybugs they don't seem to need much of an opening.

Do a Google search for stink bug, you'll get lots of info.

Reply to
Dan Espen

It doesn't look like my stink bugs. I'll put my stink bugs up against yours.

But if it is a stink bug, don't crush them or they will stink.

What I've done, based on what I read, is take a little bottle, the small size of Marie's salad dressing is good, after you've eaten the dressing, and fill it full of water with some added soap. I used shampoo.

The bugs are super slow, and I think I caught every one I tried to. I knocked one into the bottle, then shook the bottle so it died quickly and didn't suffer more than necessary, and after a few days, I didn't see any more.

They still might be hiding and even dying between things, like newspapers or magazines. I think they smell a little (and bad) when they die on their own, but I only noticed that a couple times.

These look just like what I have

Leza, your picture doesn't. But if they're slow, you can do what I suggest anyhow.

Reply to
micky

Do a google - image search for "pantry beetle" - there are many varieties - one of them looks exactly like your bug.

They commonly come into the home in pet snacks ; bird feed ; etc and are quite easy to get rid of - clean up & seal & discard the infected food-stuffs. Seal-up cereals, pet food/snacks, bird food, etc in hard plastic containers - I like old plastic mayo jars or the bigger plastic mixed-nuts jars. Tupperware for the human foods & snacks. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Good idea. It looks like

me. The line down the middle of the back was more apparent in the oriignal search page

This could be a good thing if they save you from frequent trips to the drugstore.

Reply to
micky

When I googled it, it looked like this one:

Never heard of them. Also knew it was not a stink bug although this is the time of year they come out of hiding trying to get outdoors.

Reply to
Frank

OTOH one I point out may be smaller.

When I post questions like this, I put a ruler along side the item to give perspective.

Reply to
Frank

I've cracked a few trying to pick them up, so far, no stink.

So, it's genocide?

I normally get a piece of paper towel or toilet paper and pick them up and take them outside. They're harmless and don't eat inside the house. They might have some disease on them, that's why I use the paper.

I take them outside even in the winter. If they can't take the cold some bird or chipmunk will get a stinky meal.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Cicadias are due after a 17 year wait. Not a fan at all. Recipes abound but not for me.

Reply to
Thomas

My stink bugs are tougher than your stink bugs.

I'd either have to take each one outside, each time I got one, or the first one would escape the jar when I opened it for the second one. Mine can fly . Plus there were about 100 dead ones in the bedroom ceiling fixture. That might have been when I was using regular bulbs that were hot enough to kill them.

I had most of them 2 or 3 years ago. Only a few this year. Nothing in between.

Reply to
micky

Seriously, if they don't stink, maybe yours are not stinkbugs, or not brown marmorated ones.

Did they look like these

Or maybe there is a stinky season and a non-stinky one.

Reply to
micky

Their crushed shells can be used as medicine, according to my friend in Massachusetts.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Yep.

Maybe I should sacrifice one to see what they smell like to me.

Reply to
Dan Espen

I will pick them up and crush them with a tissue. My fingers will stink for a minute. I recall acrid and peppery. Once my wife put dinner on the table and I thought a little piece of a pork chop had fallen near the side of my plate and picked it up and bit into it. It was a stink bug. Turned out to be no big deal. Of course I spit it out.

When weather gets cool, stink bugs look for a warm crevice to winter in. A couple of times out in the woods hunting I had them crawl into the collar of my shirt and had to put up with the smell removing them.

Those that winter in the house will come out sluggish in the spring trying to get out. To be on topic for homeowners they are a good guide to where you might need to caulk around gaps in door frames and windows.

We were overwhelmed with stink bugs a few years ago but now hardly see them. I think creatures that would eat them like birds and bats were surprised at first not liking the taste but then got used to them and now think they are yummy.

OP's picture is not a stink bug but brings up interesting discussion of them here.

Reply to
Frank

We've been in our current house 12 years.

In all that time I never saw a false bombardier beetle in the house, maybe not even outside in the yard.

This spring I've killed 7 in the house.

I have a suspicion they may have come in with a bag of bird food, we get bags of several kinds. If not, then something in the weather must be doing it.

Reply to
TimR

Don't tell trump.

Reply to
micky

Over the 45+ years in my house, I have seen invasions of various insects and plants.

The stink bug was a blessing from China.

Japan sent me Japanese stilt grass.

Gypsy moths were a European import a century ago.

The bug populations appear to settle down or disappear but the plant pests tend stay.

Over the years I have also battled indigenous species. We had ants and termites all over the place but never got in the house. After 2 of my next door neighbors got termites I got the Termidor perimeter treatment and ants disappeared.

Reply to
Frank

Oh, yeah. I remember I read that a few years ago.

My position is sort of in the middle, that smells that others dislike I can learn to like. However there have been exceptions, that I continue to dislike, and this is one of them. Actually maybe most of the smells others dislike have been exceptions, but I'm working on it.

BTW, my nose is not very sensitive anyhow. One of the questions the doctor's office asked befere they would let me in is whether my sense of smell or taste had weakened. It hasn't but smell has always been weak.

Still, stinkbugs stink.

Reply to
micky

I presume that looks like a bombadier beetle but doesn't have the same talent.

most notable for the defense mechanism that gives them their name: when disturbed, they eject a hot noxious chemical spray from the tip of the abdomen with a popping sound.

The spray is produced from a reaction between two chemical compounds, hydroquinone and hydrogen peroxide, which are stored in two reservoirs in the beetle's abdomen. When the aqueous solution of hydroquinones and hydrogen peroxide reaches the vestibule, catalysts facilitate the decomposition of the hydrogen peroxide and the oxidation of the hydroquinone.[1] Heat from the reaction brings the mixture to near the boiling point of water and produces gas that drives the ejection. The damage caused can be fatal to attacking insects. Some bombardier beetles can direct the spray in a wide range of directions.

The beetle's unusual defense mechanism is claimed by some creationists to be an example of what they call irreducible complexity,[2] though this is refuted by evolutionary biologists.[3]

The very footnote, indicated by the 3 in the line above, does not say that. It says "Upon examination of these issues, however, the bombardier beetle shows evidence of evolution and seriously challenges the concept of design." Seriously challenges is not Refute.

It's not uncommon for words to have a shift in meaning with time but "Refuted" is a very sad extreme example of this. Apparently many users have no idea what the word really means, Contradicted by convincing proof. Instead they have started to use the word to mean denied or "contradicted" even with only speculation.

By using it the second way, there is no longer a word that means what refute really means.

Please, all of you, use refute correctly.

I've tried to change the wikip article but there is an instruction to take it to the Talk page first, and I don't know how to do that.

Amazing.

Reply to
micky