Why are motors not current limited?

Again, you capitalised "MEET CODE". Who gives a f*ck about code? It's your house, you do as you wish in it.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

You get less voltage drop if you use a decent voltage instead of a namby pamby one.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

So much simpler to wire up a single voltage system....

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Back when people just got on with life and didn't waste their time adhering to rules. Think how efficient everything would be if people spent 100% of their time doing things instead of making things adhere to rules.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

That's because America invented the lawyer. The world's been f***ed ever since.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

The voltage drop on a multiwire circuit is based on 240v and you only have 220. Who is namby pamby again?

Reply to
gfretwell

You know, that guy Peeler is right. You are a total waste of time and a troll. YOU made all kinds of ridiculous claims here, including that somehow an Edison circuit neutral can have a neutral that becomes overloaded. Part of how we show that your claims are BS is by citing CODE.

Further, I had to pull a wheel off my SUV the other day. Just for grins and to prove what a shit head you are, I looked at the electric impact wrench I have. It's 50+ years old, heavy duty, made by Ingersol-Rand in America. It plugs into any 15A circuit, I ran it off a long extension cord. The spec label on that impact wrench says 4 AMPS. So it's ~500 watts. There is an example why there is no problem using hand held power tools here.

No run along and go f*ck yourself, I will no longer be responding to anything you post here.

Reply to
trader_4

Just give up on him. I'm done engaging with him, let all his questions go unanswered. He's a troll. Enough is enough. When he actually has a legitimate question, let him get answers from some idiot troll like him.

Reply to
trader_4

Right. Shakespeare was prescient and knew we'd get around to it some day.

"William Searle Holdsworth, one of Blackstone's successors as Vinerian Professor, argued that "If the Commentaries had not been written when they were written, I think it very doubtful that [the United States], and other English speaking countries would have so universally adopted the common law."

Reply to
rbowman

It just seems odd not to have it 220 instead of 277 (not far different numbers). But I guess you have three phase completely seperate from your domestic stuff. Our 3 phase is also used for domestic supplies, we get one leg per house, so commercial stuff just takes all three phases, and still has the standard 220 to run computers and lights.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Isn't red an international colour for danger?

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

No we don't. An open switch is a switch where the contacts are open - not touching, therefore off. We do open a tap to turn on water, but I assume you do that too.

What I find irritating is that a gas stove has controls which increase as you turn anticlockwise, but an electric stove you turn clockwise. You'd think when they invented electricity that volume controls etc would have been made the same way round as taps. Anticlockwise for more of it.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

computers and lights.

Large consumers of electricity will have 480 v 3 phase. As stated, the lights are usually mercury vapor (or similar) or flouresent. The ballast are set for 277 as that is from the center of the Y winding to one of the 480 legs. The lights are often split so some go to each leg of the 480 and center of the Y. That way if something hapens to one section of lights, the others stay on.

Lots of differences in large companies and small offices and homes in the US.

Almost no standard homes will have 3 phase. They usually have a transformer at the power pole that supplies 240 volts with the center tap to give 120 volts for most of the recepticals and smaller loads and

240 for water heaters, AC or electric heat, stoves, and well pumps if not on a water system.
Reply to
Ralph Mowery

If you happen to evenly spread the load.

Actually my mains voltage is 245. The UK used to be 250 and is now 240 (ish). 220 is for places like France.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Then use a killfile and stop reading my posts. Jesus Christ how stupid are you?!

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Much simpler in the UK, most houses have one of the three phases and the neutral. If I wanted three phase, the connection required is just outside my property. I'd just need to link to the two phases for my two next door neighbours.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

I assumed all new transformers would be made to be closer to the 230. Why wouldn't they?

And they don't stick to it. Mine (since a new substation) goes up to 256V at times, and they've said they don't have to do anything about it. I've had to install a voltage regulator on my lighting circuit to prevent LED bulbs from failing prematurely.

Also I've spotted a glaring error on the page you linked to, note paragraph 2) uses LESS tight standards than paragraph 1) - i.e. the second stage of harmonisation was to make it LESS strict!:

"1) In practice nothing has been changed in the UK. The first stage of European voltage harmonisation required a supply voltage of 230 V of -6% to +10%, i.e. be between 216.2 to 253V from a starting point of 240V +/-6%, i.e. be between 225.6 to 254.5V.

2) The second stage of European harmonisation was due to happen from 1st January 2003. This was 230V +/-10%, i.e. to be between 207 to 253V. The second stage has still not been applied, as of April 2013. So the situation in the UK regarding supply voltage, stated in law is that it should be 230V -6% +10%."
Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

While it is your house now, one day it will probably be sold. Maybe not while you are alive.

The code is to help protect the next owner of the house. How would you like it if smeone made some modifications to the house that weakened it and it fell in on you after you bought it, or burnt down because of faulty electrical wiring ?

The code also helps to protect the home owner. Say you hire some worker to do a repair or modification to your house. They do not know what they are doing and because of their work the house has problems after they finish and move on. I know an electrician that has a license by the state. He is very hard headed anda wants to do things his way. Even after the inspector tells him how to do something,he tries not to. He then blames the inspector for being too har on him. I would not let that electrician put a battery in a one cell flashlight.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

The new owner is free to have any tests done they wish before deciding to buy the house.

I am free to watch what they're doing or get an independant inspector.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

3 phase power. The reason being that at the time the homes were built, they needed a large air conditioning system 5 tons and up and at the time the homes were built, there were no single phase AC units of 5-tons and up available so the large homes were supplied 3 phase power. I serviced some of those old 5-ton semi-hermetic AC units installed on a few of those classic grand old homes that were built in the 1950's and early 1960's. It was like working on commercial refrigeration and AC systems. At least no start relays and capacitors are needed for those 3-phase compressors. Those semi-hermetic compressors are also easily rebuildable and I did some exchanges akin to installing a crate motor in a car or pickup truck. Those semi-hermetic compressors are quite heavy but I could always find a remanufactured unit. It was getting some help to carry the hunk of steel that was the biggest problem. I miss working. o_O

The company I worked for had to run 24/7 so we had 2 feeds from the power company comming in from 2 directiions. I don't know what voltage that was. They went into our own substations and buildings where we feed a main ring of 13,200 volts to about 20 smaller substations in the plant that converted mostly to 480 v 3 phase with 300 to 600 amp breakers that feed about 40 places that had about 40 or 50 motor starters each in them. Also a lot of places for 120 volts.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery