Why are motors not current limited?

How hard can it be to put some kind of electronic limiter on a power tool so if you over-stress it, it doesn't consume enough current to melt the coils?
I assume something like this must be done on electric cars, or instead of stalling the engine, you'd wreck the motor.
--
What's soft and warm when you go to bed, but hard and stiff when you wake up?
Vomit.
How hard can it be to put some kind of electronic limiter on a power tool so if you over-stress it, it doesn't consume enough current to melt the coils?
I assume something like this must be done on electric cars, or instead of stalling the engine, you'd wreck the motor.
--
What's soft and warm when you go to bed, but hard and stiff when you wake up?
Vomit.
I post to all applicable groups. Stop removing my crossposts.
Mains.
You can stall an angle grinder quite easily, just twist it slightly in the concrete you're cutting.

--
When working with electronics, my best advice is to do whatever it takes to prevent the smoke from leaking out of the components. Electronic parts require the smoke to stay inside to function correctly!

On 2018-04-21 15:24, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

That's a good way to get the disc to explode and throw bits into your flesh and eyes. Carry on!

So your hands are perfectly steady then?
--
Worlds most powerful nob enlarger - a space suit with a fly zip

Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

Prick

The motor is efficiently protected by voltage, current and temperature sensors to prevent overloading.  Stop buying junk and start buying Hiltis.
https://www.hilti.com/cordless-systems/cordless-drills/r6636450#technical-data

Not neccessary for drills.
I had a Yellow & black device once Worx or somesuch.
I stalled it "sort of"
One's wrist forms a perfect albeit painful mechanical fuse :-(
I suppose right handed people have a slight advantage, but drilling with the left hand on the grip ansures that the drill isn't pulled away, it's pushed into your hand.
AB
On 04/21/2018 06:03 AM, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:

And with any luck if there is a button to lock the trigger that gets pushed into your hand also. I am depressed by this constant discrimination of people of left handedness. It has to stop.

It would already be locked if One had chosen to use it. The locking action would be unlikely to be engaged accidentally.
If you feel strongly about the discrimination then an approach to people like Eclipse might be worthwhile. The basic problem is the flute.
Personally though I think you would get a more immediate effect with Prozac.
AB

I'm not talking about little cordless drills, I mean mains powered tools of around a kilowatt. Even if they're cheap, surely these sensors are a fraction of the price of the whole tool, and you'd get so many less warranty returns.
--
"You, you, and you ... panic. The rest of you, come with me." - U.S. Marine Corp Gunnery Sgt.

Do you think you could handle a corded Hilti?

Show me an example. I don't see why anyone (even a woman) couldn't use any power tool.
--
Birthdays are good for you. Statistics show that the people who have the most live the longest. (Rev. Larry Lorenzoni)

On 04/21/2018 06:18 AM, Al Borland wrote:

A powder actuated Hilti would be more fun. They are probably illegal in the UK though.

They sell them on their UK website. https://www.hilti.co.uk/direct-fastening/general-purpose-powder-actuated-tools-and-cartridges
--
System error 4C: kernel panic

On 04/21/2018 12:05 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

Do you need a license? We needed one for some conduit we were running so I sent one of my maintenance guys up to the rental place to pick one up. He came back empty handed. It seems there was a short safety quiz before they would rent one to cover their ass. Problem was my guy couldn't read and they weren't doing a verbal quiz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDpvkwBBu6U

Of course they are. They only allow dull knives, too (see: James Wilkinson Sword).
On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 13:11:10 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"

If you have the time and around £60-00, you could buy an overload and JB to keep it in. I think a standard 3 phase overload will work without a contactor and there is some adjustment for FLC.
It would want two of the channels wiring in series for single phase though.
Thermal fuses are fast acting and cheap, a none rewireable from ebay cost me around a pound for 20, they are good although you would have to dsimantle the tool to see if it could be placed in proximity to the field coils.
AB

Dullest knife in the drawer thinks all power tools are the same - no need to spend a few more quid on "quality" - it's all marketing BS.
He's a cheapscate scotsman who needs something to cry about so only buys junk.