Why are motors not current limited?

Then steal them and irritate the other patients.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Do you need a license? We needed one for some conduit we were running so I sent one of my maintenance guys up to the rental place to pick one up. He came back empty handed. It seems there was a short safety quiz before they would rent one to cover their ass. Problem was my guy couldn't read and they weren't doing a verbal quiz.

rbowman

I'd happily set fire to a child and enjoy the little shit screaming, but eating it is a revolting thought. I'm a vegetarian, not because I love dumb animals like cows, but because dead flesh ain't food. It smells identical to shit.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 04:08:54 +0100, Uncle Monster w= rote:

er on a power tool so if you over-stress it, it doesn't consume enough c= urrent to melt the coils?

nd temperature sensors to prevent overloading. Stop buying junk and sta= rt buying Hiltis.

6636450#technical-data

f electronics would be nothing compared with the whole tool.

new back in the 1980's for $200 and it's never failed me. I used it a lo= t back when I was able to work. I miss being able to do things when some= one called. I did a lot of climbing ladders and crawling around on the f= loor and under things to make repairs when I was able to work. It's very= frustrating to be stuck in this darn chair. The only time I'm on the fl= oor now is when I fall out of my dang chair trying to reach something I = dropped. 8-(

e to visit. ^_^

ey must be cleaned properly before eating them. ^_^

but eating it is a revolting thought. I'm a vegetarian, not because I l= ove dumb animals like cows, but because dead flesh ain't food. It smell= s identical to shit.

but in reality, I would never harm a child. I don't grok your abject ha= tred of children or what could have possibly brought you to this point. = Normal adults are protective of children even if they have none of their= own and even if they find them to be an irritant. I adore little kids a= nd find them to be the most entertaining creatures on the planet. Of cou= rse, I like small animals like puppies and kittens too. For some reason,= young animals are attracted to me, I think because they instinctively k= now I won't harm them. I have visited friends who had small dogs and cat= s and the critters would always wind up in my lap just like the small ch= ildren of my friends. I guess I must be Dr. Dolittle. I'm sure you have = an explanation for your hatred of children. o_O

I don't treat children any differently to adults and differently to anim= als. Some are adorable some are annoying.

-- =

Health and Safety Officer required to start ASAP, circa =A335K: Your main duties will include: Hampering other staff and preventing them from carrying on with their du= ties. Handing out huge quantities of pointless paperwork consuming approx 1 ra= inforest per year.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

+1

I suspect the staff at the local Harbor Freight store locks the doors when they see Jimmy Wilkinson Dullknife coming.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Dullknife

tool so if you over-stress it, it doesn't consume enough current to melt th e coils?

sensors to prevent overloading.  Stop buying junk and start buying Hi ltis.

n they see Jimmy Wilkinson Dullknife coming.

I don't think they have those over there. But the car dealers and shops must lock their doors. He says he never changes the oil, only puts some in when it's half empty, shows up with parts he bought God knows where and argues with them to put them on. Then he has to get rid of his cars at $130K, because he claims they don't last. And he says he can get a good used one with 60K miles on it for 500 pounds? WTF? Clueless troll.

Reply to
trader_4

Not really. Motors draw lots more current when stopped than running as most know. As a motor starts up the current drain becomes less as it reaches its maximum speed.

Some tools such as circular saws and drills are started many times each day at construction sites and no problem. Some very large motors, say over 100 HP, are only suppose to be started several time a day due to the heating effect while reaching their desired speed.

So even if the motor jams and stops you have a second or so to cut it off before any dammage is done to the windings.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Because it would cost an extra $ .50 to make the devices with the fuses in th plugs.

While there are not many ,but some devices do have fuses that are mounted in the device its self. Some can be replaced very easy, but for some you have to open the device.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I am thinking I pay about that much collision insurance on the cars I have. Still think it may be less expensive to just drive the car to the time it stops on you, take the tag off, go to a used car lot and get another.

However,I want a car I can get in, feel like it will start up and go

5000 miles if I want to. Sometimes it is just feels good to get something new that no others have used. I usually buy a new car and drive it for about 10 years. Drove one for 16 years and it only had 200,000 miles on it. Still a good car. Someone got a very good car from me not long ago as I traded in a Toyota with only about 35,000 miles on but it was 10 years old. Kept in a garage while at home. It was a car for my wife and as she did not work did not put very many miles on it. Oh, it was serviced as per recommended in the book.
Reply to
Ralph Mowery

+1

Just more JWS BS, as usual. This from the guy that says he never does maintenance on cars, never even changes oil in his cars, just adds some when it's half empty. Then he says cars don't last past 130K miles. Go figure.... Obviously he has no experience with power tools either.

Reply to
trader_4

Bullshit, I can buy a fused plug for 20p (25 cents). I doubt much of that is the fuse.

I don't, I just open the plug with one screw.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

The only reason a garage would insist to use their own parts is so they can steal money off you on markup. You're so gullible.

No, everyone in the UK throws away cars at that mileage. Just check the Ebay ads. Maybe we have less reliable cars?

No, I found a bargain. And it was 50K miles. Certainly it was quite old (about 13 years), but so what? The odd bit of rust is a lot cheaper to fix than the engine and associated worn out parts. In fact the last MOT revealed no rust failures, I've only ever replaced (in 2 years) a fan belt, tyres, brakes, and suspension. Suspension because my local council puts speedbumps everywhere to criminally damage cars.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

You must have a terrible driving record. I pay =A3130 a year, that's fu= lly comp (it includes any damage to other cars and people, theft, fire, = and repairing my own car even if it's my fault).

Which is what I do. I buy a car for =A3500 to =A31000, use it for about= 4 years, then scrap it (which pays =A3120 back in metal).

Mine do that just fine. They don't break down much more often than a ne= w car with unknown as yet faults.

-- =

We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful g= od, who creates faulty humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes= -- Gene Roddenberry

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

When starting a motor, it's stationary for a tiny tiny fraction of a second and the current very quickly drops off as it spins up. Even a quarter of a second jammed will heat it a lot more than starting it.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

You're the fool that's sucked into repairing something that isn't broken.

And it's not me, it's everyone in the UK that throws away a car at that mileage.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Incorrect. A shop could have enough experience with cheapskates like you that bring in crap parts from God knows where, that then create problems and trouble, so that they have a simple policy to prevent it. It's not unreasonable. Someone that thinks they don't have to change oil, just add some when it's half empty, I can only imagine where you'd source your cheap parts. It would be interesting to see what kind of business you could run and what your practices would be.

Reply to
trader_4

Good driving record. NO insurance points. It is just high when one has relative new cars. Even the standard insurance that everyone in the state I live in is suppose to have is about $ 300 per car per year even if it is the old junkers like you drive.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Sounds like the cars of the US that many years ago were worn out at

100,000 or less. Then the cars from Japan came over and would last many more miles if simple things like oil changes and other filters were changed out. That made the US cars get better.

I guess that at one time it was good for the car makers in that if the cars only lasted 100,000 miles, someone would have to buy a new car sooner instead of later. People would finance the cars for 3 years. Now it is not uncommon to finance them from at least 5 or 7 years. I bought a new car a few months back. Instead of paying for it, I financed it for 7 years as I could do it for 0 % . That means that I get to collect the money I will make in stock for years instead of paying interest.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

JWS only sees what he wants to see and misinterprets much of it. He claims people in the UK throw their cars away at 130K. He suggests that Ebay somehow proves it. What could Ebay prove? If they are no good at 130K, are they listed as junk, not running on Ebay? I bet they aren't. Just because a lot of people CHOOSE to not keep a car past 130K miles doesn't mean they are no good at that point. I'd suspect it's really not much different than here. At 130K miles and typical driving, it's nearly a decade old. People prefer newer cars. Some will lease them and get a new one every 3 years. Some will hold them longer. That most cars change hands by 130K doesn't mean that the cars are no good. But if you abuse them like he does, ie never change the oil, only add oil when it's half empty, etc, then it's no surprise that he thinks a car won't last past 130K miles.

Reply to
trader_4

Do you think they only put guards on chainsaws after someone loses their testicles?

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife