Why are motors not current limited?

Holy shit that's a HUGE amount of money! I spend $700 on a 10 year old car every 4 years, then get $150 back on it for scrap value when it's uneconomical to repair. Plus probably $200 of maintainence a year on it. So $63 a month.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

For small ammounts I do not borrow money at 0 %, but figuer on how much you gain if you finance a $ 25000 item at 0 % and put that money in stock funds that average around 8% each year. In the 7 year finance period, I will probably gain over $ 5,000 or close to $ 1000 each year on the average. More the first few years and less in the later years.

I do not buy a car that is used any more just because I like to buy a new one and can afford to now. The last car I traded in would have been perfect for you. It was a 2008 Toyota that was kept in the garage most of the time and only had about 35,000 on it. I could probably have kept that car another 10 years and still have less than 100,000 on it. I just wanted a newer car.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

But you can't put the money in stock funds, the money is in the car. Better to buy a much older car which has far less depreciation.

I really don't get folk who buy expensive cars worth a decent proportion of the value of their house. You spend most time in your house, spend the money on that.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

So you've worked harder or for more hours in your life just so your car is shinier? What a waste. You could have worked less hard or gone part time and got used cars. A new car is a phenomenal expense.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

?

My portfolio has gone up so much since President Trump started cleaning out the White House that I can buy a new car without lifting a finger.  God bless Donald Trump!

Reply to
Morph

?

That's a waste of money.  Improve your house, the value goes up...and then the property taxes go up.

So basically if you improve your house the government will punish you by taxing you more.

OTOH, if you are a lazy welfare-queen democrat, the government will reward you with free housing assistance, heating assistance, energy assistance, free health care and food.  Have more illegitimate kids and the government will reward you even more.

Reply to
Morph

The cost for me for used cars over the last 40 years has been SIGNIFICANTLY lower than that.

When I buy a $6000 car and keep it for 5 years, the upfront cost is $100 per month. My insurance cost is $50 per month.(600 per year) My o/f cost at 2 changes a year, using synthetic oil, is about $120 /year - or $10 a month. Say I wear out 2 sets of tires at $400 a set - that's under $12.50 per month. I'll be replacing one or 2 sets of front pads at $80 per set - about $3 per month.

That's a total of about $175 per month.

I generally keep my $6000 cars for 10 years which reduces the cost even farther as long as no big expense crops up- in which case I make the decision whether to fix or replace based on the perceived value of the car at the time.

I may be replacing my current 16 year old car next year just to keep the wife happy - total repair costs (it's a FORD) over the last 6 years, including tires and brakes and an ignition coil and catalytic converter has ammounted to about $1235 - less than $17.50 per month.

With 60,000 km being put on in that time, that is about $20.50 per thousand km. You can't buy cheaper transportation short of buying a bicycle.

My 22 year old pickup costs have been SIGNIFICANTLY less than that.

I've owned it 6 years and driven it 60,000km

Initial cost, including repairs to make it roadworthy - $2800. Repairs since I put it on the road?

2 sets of front pads and one set of rotors - say $300 One cam synchronizer sensor $150 One sepentine belt and tensioner -$150 One pair of replacement headlights - $75 One driver's side door handle $50 2 sets of U-Joints $120 Insurance - $600 per year= $3600 Registration - $120/year = $720 Oil changes $50X12= $600

Total cost of ownership not including fuel, for 6 years and 60,000km = $8565 - that's 1427.50 per year, or $118.96 per month - and that's if I left it at the side of the road tomorrow.

I could get $1500 for it tomorrow - no problem.

By odd co-incidence it also figures out to $118.96 per thousand Km. TWELVE CENTS per Km plus fuel. About FOUR DOLLARS per day.

Sure -it only gets an average of 15MPG canadian - 200 liters per

1000km more or less at $1.20 per liter - mabee $250 a month in fuel.

A new truck might give me a bit better mileage. My tire and brake and oil costs would be the same My registration cost would be the same. My insurance could double. I'd save about $100 a year in miscalaneous repairs while it was on warranty.

And in 6 years the new truck would look about the same as my 22 year old truck looks today ---

Now the difference between buying a NEW replacement vehcle today and a 3 year old one??? The new one MAY be cheaper simply due to financing charges if I can ger a .5% 5 year payment plan - - - but I buy a little older and pay cash.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

is shinier?  What a waste.  You could have worked less hard or g one part time and got used cars.  A new car is a phenomenal expense.

ut the White House that I can buy a new car without lifting a finger.  God bless Donald Trump!

Then you should be even more thankful for the stock market performance under Obama. The DOW rose 149% during his two terms. Of course the truth is that the market has been in a bull market since 2009, rising steadily due to very low interest rates and an economic expansion.

Reply to
trader_4

I paid $13k for a 5 year old Honda Prelude in 2002. Since then I bought the $1000 belt job

2 sets of tires @ $100 a wheel A Clutch master cylinder and slave $120. A Knock sensor $40 A headlight assembly (used) $100 and not nearly enough oil changes ;-) maybe $200 worth.

It is still going

Lets see $16000/192 = $83 a month. My cable bill is a lot more than that.

Reply to
gfretwell

You do not seem to understand the concept.

If I have $ 25,000 cash and buy the car, the car will cost me that ammount.

If I have $ 25,000 cash and put most of it in stock, the car payments are about $ 350 per month. So say I buy $ 20,000 of stock and make 8% the first year, that would put $ 1600 back in my pocket making the car only cost $ 23,400.

I am not going to try and do the actual calculations, but at the end of the 2 nd year, I may get $ 1200 profit in stock. That reduces the car price to $ 22,200. By the time the 7 years are up , I may have only $

20,000 out of my pocket, saving me around $ 5000.

There is more to it than that, but you should be able to unerstand the concept.

Given all that, if I keep the car for 10 years, it will only cost me $

2000 per year or about $ 166 per month.
Reply to
Ralph Mowery

They don't in the UK. Taxes are based on the value of the house when it last changed hands.

But nowhere near as much as the cost of a new car, which isn't much bigger like a house with an extra room would be.

So yours is that stupid too? At least ours now has a two kid limit.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

My cable bill is zero :-)

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Yes I accept taking 0% is better than not taking it, but it's not better than avoiding the purchase in the first place. Nobody needs a $25,000 car.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Don't you have to pay a 'user tax' on each TV you have in the house ?

Here we can get free TV over the air without any cable or dishes.

If I wanted to I can hook up an outside antenna and get about 40 different channels. Granted about half of them show the same thing.

Again, it is not the need, but the wants that determin how to spend the money.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Change have to supposed, then yes. But not EACH TV, it's for any number of them, and it's THEFT. The money goes to ONE company, the BBC. Every other company has to make money by advertising or charging you on top of that. The BBC are CRIMINALS, so I don't pay them. I have er.... no TV.

I find you can just watch the same films on the free TV 2 years later. I'm in no hurry. Or then there's Piratebay where you can watch them before they're released.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

They don't bother checking little things like that. I've never been refused a payout. All I'm doing is paying a slightly lower premium by pretending I'm less of a risk. I wouldn't call it fraud, that's more like telling them it was the other guy's fault when it wasn't. Look up Youtube videos of "lorry brake testing" in Russia. People actually deliberately drive their little car in front of a 50 tonne lorry then slam on the brakes, the lorry rams into them and they claim it was the lorry driver's fault. Except they now all have dashcams.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

The definition of a child is not "a human that needs looked after". And you don't need to eat deer, there are easier things to find. I could catch rabbits when I was 10. And it's not agreed throughout the world what age they become an adult. Muslims marry at 12. Germans f*ck at 14. Brits f*ck at 16. Americans f*ck at 18. So I guess Americans are either prudes or develop really slowly.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Let me know when you sell the next one!!!

Reply to
Clare Snyder

On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 21:43:17 +0100, Clare Snyder wr= ote:

tp-

that's 3 years old? You still get some warranty, and it's still very r= eliable, but it's half the price.

We need these morons to buy the new cars so the used ones remain at sens= ible prices. Same thing seems to happen with white goods (like washing = machines worth =A3250 selling for =A340 when they're only 3 years old an= d have 12 years left in them).

-- =

Two blondes living in Oklahoma were sitting on a bench talking, and one = blonde says to the other, "Which do you think is farther away... Florida= or the moon?" The other blonde turns and says "Helloooooooooo, can you see Florida ???= ??"

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Mine will be soon. I am about to fire them.

Reply to
gfretwell