OT: Steering wheel

On 3/30/2016 8:01 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Depending on the street and traffic, direction of travel. If you have to back across a 2 lane with cars and trucks moving at 50 mph, it is more dangerous than pulling out with full control and accelerating as needed.
The ideal situation is to be able to turn around in your driveway so both can be done driving forward.

Then why is it so hard to back into your driveway. I can do it with a 20' pontoon boat and weave it between 2 other vehicles.

It's clearly hard for some people considering how bloody slow they do it while I'm trying to get past.
Anyway the main point is you are in somebody's way while you're doing it.
--
My wife was hinting about what she wanted for our upcoming anniversary. She said, 'I want something shiny that goes from 0 to 150 in about 3 seconds.'
So I bought her a set of scales.

But since you can sit in your driveway until both ways are clear, there's no problem reversing out. If traffic is that busy, when you come home you have to stop with cars behind you and reverse in, they're now in your way and cursing you.
--
Why do sailors have tattoos on their backs?
So their shipmates will have something to read.
On Wed, 30 Mar 2016 19:46:56 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I always go forward into my driveway, as does everybody else around here, from what I've seen. You can back into the street when it's clear of traffic. OTOH, there's no guarantee it's clear when you arrive. Besides, it much easier getting both cars in the garage forward.
On Wed, 30 Mar 2016 23:00:31 -0500, Vic Smith

We don't park in a garage and I still prefer driving into the street instead of backing into the street. I have plenty of time to assess the traffic when I am approaching the driveway and if there is a car or two. I just pull over and let them pass, then I back in. I prefer backing into an empty driveway to backing into the street. Visibility is better going forward. If that is not your opinion, don't do it.

Indeed, less getting in the way, and doing the (harder) reversing into the (easier) wider space.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced

Nobody dies from reversing, what a stupid thing to make mandatory.
--
The Post Office just recalled their latest stamps. They had pictures
of lawyers on them, and people couldn't figure out which side to spit
On 3/23/2016 3:13 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Right, people don't die from reversing, they die from the person that can't see them when reversing. http://www.kidsandcars.org/back-overs.html

Top tip, look behind you when reversing. In the UK, you're even allowed to remove your seatbelt to do so.
--
My wife and I went to a hotel where we got a waterbed. My wife calls it the Dead Sea .

Perhaps you should reconsider your license.

Everybody sleeps in church. It's a very dull boring pointless place to be. They make pews uncomfortable to try to prevent it, but they always fail.

Remove all crumple zones and let people crash and die. That would remove all dangerous people from the road, then we'll be 100% safe.
--
"I'm prescribing these pills for you," said the doctor to the overweight patient, who tipped the scales at about three hundred pounds.
"I don't want you to swallow them. Just spill them on the floor twice a day and pick them up, one at a time."

Oh, yes, our interstates all have rumble strips and many other major highways also have them. They can be quite a wakup call when you run over them.

I've only ever seen other people run over them, usually lorry drivers.
--
Intercourse prevents divorce.

On 03/22/2016 04:54 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
[snip]

They've been putting those on a lot of highways around here.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 03/21/2016 11:49 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:

10 to 2 is what I was taught a long time ago -- and when turning the wheel do not let a hand pass 12 o'clock.
Perce

That takes bloody ages to do a manoeuvre. Full lock is normally two rotations each way, so that's 4 rotations from lock left to lock right.
And if you're cornering at high speed, you need to move the wheel quickly, not fuck about shuffling, that's bloody dangerous.
--
You can get by on good looks and charm for about fifteen minutes.
After that, you'd better have a big dick or nice tits.

When I was younger I took some SCCA driving courses. There were 2 schools of thought from race drivers, At the time it was the UK style to only use one side of the wheel per hand, no crossover. That way both hands were on the wheel at all times. The US style was hand over hand, pretty much just using the top of the wheel. I guess times have changed.
I watched both methods and a guy who practices the 2 hand method, just going from noon to 6 on both sides can still make very fast turns but it always looked funny to me. Air bags may give a reason to use the noon to six thing.

You clearly can't turn as fast without crossing hands. You only turn the wheel half a turn at once.

Why? The airbag has no effect on my driving whatsoever, it's hidden away in the centre of the wheel.
--
A hard-on doesn't count as personal growth.

You might not think so but the guys who did it went really fast

If your hand/arm is between your face and the bag when it goes off, you will punch yourself.

They could have turned the whel just as fast or faster by using one hand. You only need two hands for old cars with no power steering.

All the more reason not to have the stupid thing in the first place. Modern society seems to be all about introducing safety features which turn out to be dangerous then introducing more features to protect you from those features. If a car has a label saying to turn off the airbag if you sit a child in the front seat, then I don't want it going off in front of me either. Explosives in a car should only be for Muslims.
--
Having swallowed the most amount of semen ever officially recorded Michelle Monaghan had 1.7 pints (0.96 liter) of semen pumped out of her stomach in Los Angeles in July 1991.