OT: Steering wheel

On my 60 Dodge I can do it all with one finger stuck in the spoke.

Reply to
>>>Ashton Crusher

Do you have rumble strips in America? I was once on a school trip (no not as a pupil, I was the school computer technician) and the bus driver kept nodding off. The bus would veer onto the rumble strip and make a noise, which woke him up. It was a 7 hour overnight drive to an amusement park.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

MMMMMMMMMMMMMM power steering....

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Does 60 refer to the year of build?!?!

Reply to
Mr Macaw

First I saw them here in the east was about 10 years ago. Hate to admit it, but I did get use of them once. Glad it was there.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I cannot fall asleep while driving, it's impossible. To fall asleep I have to be horizontal and motionless. Perhaps you should see a doctor.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

I did.

I was working summers as a toll collector and had just finished a double shift ending at 7 am Sunday morning. Bump of wheel hitting edge of road woke me up. Also went to church before going home and fell asleep there.

I hear new EyeSight system such as available at Subaru may be mandated in the future:

I did not get it on my new Subaru but understand they see a 60% accident reduction in models that have it.

Reply to
Frank

Oh, yes, our interstates all have rumble strips and many other major highways also have them. They can be quite a wakup call when you run over them.

Reply to
>>>Ashton Crusher

1960. Constant Control Power Steering. Some might say it's overboosted but I like it.
Reply to
>>>Ashton Crusher

On my car it is called "Lane Keep Assist". It gives a visual warning, vibrates the steering wheel and can nudge the wheel back to the lane.

Auto braking is part of it. I've used it as part of the adaptive cruise control, but I hope to never try it for an emergency stop. It was agreed by 20+ car makers to make it standard by the 2022 models.

Backup cameras will be mandatory on 2018 models. I've had it on my last two cars and would not buy a car without it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski
[snip]

No hands free to dial your phone?

Reply to
Sam E
[snip]

They've been putting those on a lot of highways around here.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Then you end up propping the phone against the wheel.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Perhaps you should reconsider your license.

Everybody sleeps in church. It's a very dull boring pointless place to be. They make pews uncomfortable to try to prevent it, but they always fail.

Remove all crumple zones and let people crash and die. That would remove all dangerous people from the road, then we'll be 100% safe.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Why do you need more than one? Or do you mean reverse?

Don't you know what a mirror is for?

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Nobody dies from reversing, what a stupid thing to make mandatory.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

How is it still going if it's 56 years old?

How does "Constant Control Power Steering" differ from standard power steering?

Reply to
Mr Macaw

I've only ever seen other people run over them, usually lorry drivers.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Reverse. Far superior to mirrors as you eliminate the blind spot. People, mostly kids, are killed by backing cars every year. It is impossible to see the are below the trunk close to the car.

Backovers kill about 300 people every year because they were not visible in the mirror. Sadly, many are kids killed by their parents.

That aside, backing is just easier as you can see exactly where you are backing to another car or barrier.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Kids stupid enough not to move when a car starts up need removing from the gene pool. Even my cats get out of the way!

People who have problems with blind spots are just shit at driving. It's not a blind spot if you're moving, as the spot moves, so your brain should be able to fill in the gaps. Besides, with 6 windows and three mirrors, you can see everywhere you need to.

Reply to
Mr Macaw