OT: Steering wheel

On 3/24/2016 3:56 AM, Vic Smith wrote:

Some cars do have sensor that detect something withing 3 feet or so and cross traffic too. Mine beeps at 3 feet and changes to a constant sound at 18" or so.

I'd prefer that over a camera.
On Thu, 24 Mar 2016 13:57:01 -0500, Vic Smith

Except the backup alarm can miss something pretty obvious, like a 1 1.2" sign post that you can see in your mirror or rear view camera.

Those alarms are just meant to guide you as to how close you've got to the car or wall you already know is there. You shouldn't be reversing without looking just because it isn't bleeping.
--
"I have left orders to be awakened at any time in case of national emergency, even if I'm in a cabinet meeting." - Ronald Reagan

On 3/24/2016 4:18 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

No beep on Subaru's. Guy told me it did not stop his father in law from backing into his mailbox. Then he told me his father in law was 92 years old.

You guys still have to collect your own mail?
--
Confucius say: "Boy who go to sleep with stiff problem wake up with solution in hand."

On 3/24/2016 6:43 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Suburban and country settings have mail boxes at the curb.
I'd be surprised if the camera did not flag it. Mine shows yellow safe lane to back into then as you near something like a curb there is a yellow then red zone in back where you should stop. Even does that when backing turning around driveway.
I always like to back in when parking and most parking lots are like that. I did once damage car backing into my garage and if I had camera would not have done it.

Backing out is so much easier. Back into the large space, drive forwards into the small space.
--
How does a man know when his wife is losing interest?
When her favorite sexual position is next door.
On 3/24/2016 7:18 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Generally true, but you have to consider the whole situation. Once you back out of the garage where do you go? If you cannot turn around it is more dangerous to back into traffic on a busy street.
My street in not busy, but on a hill. I prefer backing in so I can pull forward into the street and up the hill.

era

is

ll

Consider coming home. You try to back into your drive, you have to stop first, others have to get past you, you get in their way while you reverse into your drive. But when you're leaving, you can wait for a gap in traffic to reverse out.
-- Los Angeles's full name is “El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reina de los Angeles de Porciuncula” and can be abbreviated to 3.63% of its size, “L.A.”
On 3/24/2016 8:36 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

On my street I have a car behind me maybe once a month so backing is easy. It also allows the driver door to be on the same side as the side door of the house. If my wife will be going with me next trip I pull in so she does not have to walk as far.
Overall, it is just easier to pull out and go up the hill as I go in that direction 99% of the time.

:

ke

amera

you

t is

pull

top

de

in

I reverse into my drive maybe twice a year, if I've got something heavy in the boot to get out.

No good at hill starts?
-- A bunch of lawyers were sitting around the office playing poker. “I win!” says Johnson at which point Henderson throws down his cards. “That’s it! I've had it! Johnson is cheating!!!” “How can you tell?” Phillips asked. “Those aren't the cards I dealt him!”
On 3/30/2016 2:45 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Not so easy on snow or ice. Why go from a dead start on a slippery road when it is easier to keep momentum and easier and safer to see.

Your drive was better gritted than your road?!
And get an automatic, they don't wheelspin.
--
A woman brought an old picture of her dead husband, wearing a hat, to the photographer. She wanted to know if the photographer could remove the hat from the picture.
He convinced her he could easily do that, and asked her what side of his head her husband parted his hair on.
On 3/30/2016 5:25 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

I have an automatic. Evidently you don't drive on ice much.

My previous car was an automatic and it was very good at ice and snow. If the wheels began to spin, it would simply engage a higher gear (and very smoothly so using the torque converter), reducing the power output of the engine. Of course you had to have the sense not to put your foot to the floor. Having said that on one occasion I found that to be quite useful. I had to get up a steep hill with a foot of freshly fallen snow. Everyone kept getting stuck. I simply put my foot to the floor and went up the hill at about 20mph, although the speedo read over 100. The snow was flung to the sides by the spinning wheels as I went up and I formed a nice track. When I got to the top, I parked the car and got out, then saw a line of cars following the tracks I'd made. Three of them mouthed "thanks" and waved. If any pedestrians had got in the way, they would have received a smack in the mouth with a 100mph snowball :-)
--
Mary had a little sheep
She took it to her bed to sleep

You still wasting time and breath on the "parrot"??
Of course he hasn't driven much on ice. I don't think, personally, he has driven much, period..
An automatic with all speed traction control, possibly with posi as well, and good snow tires will not spin easily. But then again, I doubt our Limey friend is driving a Mondeo Ghia.

I've driven since 1997, commuting long distances, going on holiday abroad, and driving for a living. To morons that haven't driven so much, or just follow the rules and never think for themselves, what I say may be so complicated for your little brains that you think it's nonsense.

What part of "changes up a gear itself" didn't you understand?
--
Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer

Every time here with all 3 vehicles. It is easier to <safely> back into an empty driveway than to back into the street. DuH!

No, it's easier to back into a bigger space. And most importantly when reversing into a drive, you may inconvenience others when you stop and they have to go round you. When reversing out, you can wait until it's clear.
--
How do you scare a man?
Sneak up behind him and start throwing rice.