OT: Steering wheel

Where do you put your hands on the steering wheel when driving? I noticed one person at the 10 to 2 position (oh dear), then everyone else seemed to have just their right hand on the wheel, but near the top! I thought most people (unless they're learning to drive) put their hand at the bottom.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

I use my left knee.

Reply to
taxed and spent

With most air bags, you better have hands below where they might go off otherwise you might get a thumb in you eye in an accident.

Reply to
Frank

So the 10 to 2 position we're taught is actually dangerous?

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Who's a big boy then?

Reply to
Mr Macaw

You probably get away with 10 and 2. It is high noon that will get you a punch in the face. Rings and watches only make that worse. If things are getting dicey, you probably want both hands on the wheel anyway.

Reply to
gfretwell

Mr Macaw submitted this idea :

10 and 2 o'clock on the steering wheel is old school now. Because there is a air bag in the steering wheel on all new cars, 9 and 3 o'clock would be the safest, but if you have a cell phone, don't use it while driving.
Reply to
Eagle

I'm left handed. Most times I have one hand at 8 o'clock. If I have two hands on the wheel, most times it is 8 & 4. rarely do I use 10 and 2.

My car will give me a warning if I have no hands on the wheel too long but it is capable of following the white lines on a curve.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

10 and 2 is pretty safe. The airbag will push your hands out and back, missing your face .
Reply to
clare

10 to 2 is what I was taught a long time ago -- and when turning the wheel do not let a hand pass 12 o'clock.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Right hand at the 3 oclock position, beer in left hand.

I was taught the 10 and 2 in drivers ed in high school about 50 years ago . Now with the air bags it is the 9 and 3 position. Some of the stering wheels are made with the spokes set so you can place your hands there, or a single spoke that goes from one side to the other with holes in it for the hands.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

where is the best location to install the suicide knob?

Reply to
taxed and spent

The what?

Reply to
Mr Macaw

I've never heard of anyone using high noon.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

In the trash

Reply to
gfretwell

That takes bloody ages to do a manoeuvre. Full lock is normally two rotations each way, so that's 4 rotations from lock left to lock right.

And if you're cornering at high speed, you need to move the wheel quickly, not f*ck about shuffling, that's bloody dangerous.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Same here, except right handed, and possibly towards 5, not 4.

If it can steer itself, why the warning?

Reply to
Mr Macaw

I can multitask.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Is that you, Jenn?

Reply to
RonNNN

When I was younger I took some SCCA driving courses. There were 2 schools of thought from race drivers, At the time it was the UK style to only use one side of the wheel per hand, no crossover. That way both hands were on the wheel at all times. The US style was hand over hand, pretty much just using the top of the wheel. I guess times have changed.

I watched both methods and a guy who practices the 2 hand method, just going from noon to 6 on both sides can still make very fast turns but it always looked funny to me. Air bags may give a reason to use the noon to six thing.

Reply to
gfretwell