OT: Steering wheel

On Mon, 21 Mar 2016 11:26:36 -0700, "taxed and spent"

In the trash
On Mon, 21 Mar 2016 11:26:36 -0700, "taxed and spent"

on your 1949 Massey Harris tractor.
"taxed and spent" <

I've got a '73 Dodge plow truck and I have a knob on the wheel in line with the transmission shift lever. Left hand is working the plow lift rod. The plow is engine driven hydraulics, no electric pump. I consider the knob to be a very valuable item when plowing and my left hand never touches the wheel! This truck has an automatic tranny and I plow in low range. Manual shift trannys suck the bag big time for plowing! phil k.
On Mon, 21 Mar 2016 17:55:41 -0400, "Phil Kangas"

I'd never want to plow with a stick. Automatic makes the job almost pleasureable - and it eliminates the common job of replacing the clutch mid-winter.

Tire chains on all four plus a thousand pounds of ballast sure add to the enjoyment! I have a pipe I mount on the cutting edge for fall and spring plowing. Without the pipe the blade will tip forward and then it cuts matte but then it is very hard to push. That's where the chains make the difference. Everyone hates to do this because the blade snaps back upright hard wrecking the pivot pins. So what I did was install an extended cylinder with a single hose to a one gallon tank full of coolant with a flow control valve with needle control. The blade is free to tip forward but the needle valve slows the return to vertical. Looks peculiar and gets many comments but it works. When a 318 is working hard in low gear low range work is getting done! ;>)} pdk
On Mon, 21 Mar 2016 21:06:58 -0400, "Phil Kangas"

I had a 76 Ramcharger 318 automatic with a Frink plough. It moved a lot of snow.
I used to also run a '43 Power Wagon as a tow truck. With (4) chains on the military tires it would go through just about anything.. I got it stuck ONCE in winter of '69-'70 - buried up to the beltline in snow - went in hot as a cherry and was a huge icecube by the time 2 road graders and a 6X6 plow truck got it popped out.

I've never heard of anyone using high noon.
--
Did you hear about the new instant lottery game in India?
You scratch the ticket and if the dot matches the one on your forehead, you win a convenience store in the US.

You never see guys with one hand at the top of the wheel, cruising along? Maybe it is because you don't have interstates. Going a couple hundred miles without having to really make a turn can make you lackadaisical about the driving part.

In a built up area with the music on loud showing off to girls maybe, but noon is the least comfortable position for a long drive. 6 is the most.
--
You know, sometimes I get the sudden urge to run around naked.
But then I just drink some Windex. It keeps me from streaking.

Right hand at the 3 oclock position, beer in left hand.
I was taught the 10 and 2 in drivers ed in high school about 50 years ago . Now with the air bags it is the 9 and 3 position. Some of the stering wheels are made with the spokes set so you can place your hands there, or a single spoke that goes from one side to the other with holes in it for the hands.
On 3/21/2016 1:02 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

It was like that in my first airbag cars. I also got in an accident where they went off and had my hand been on top of the wheel it definitely would have been a problem.
With my new car, the air bag is more concentrated to the center of the wheel and may not be as much of a problem in 10 to 2 but definite problem if at 12.
New cars also with gadgets like blue tooth and dash read out buttons on the wheel will put you in 10 to 2 position. Funny the other day going to beep the horn when I passed a friend walking, the horn was moved from old model to the smaller air bag housing in the center.

I like cars without airbags with the horn in the centre of the wheel. When you press a horn, you're usually doing it quickly or angrily, so having a silly little button on the end of the indicator stalk, or the edge of the central airbag, is useless.
--
Shotgun wedding: A case of wife or death.

Mr Macaw submitted this idea :

10 and 2 o'clock on the steering wheel is old school now. Because there is a air bag in the steering wheel on all new cars, 9 and 3 o'clock would be the safest, but if you have a cell phone, don't use it while driving.

I can multitask.
--
Next time you wave at me, use more than one finger please.

Is that you, Jenn?
--
RonNNN

Oh, it was just that remark about multitasking on you phone while driving that fooled me. [g]
--
RonNNN

Plenty people do that.
--
Peter is listening to "Hollywood Undead - Turn Out The Lights"

On 3/21/2016 11:49 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:

I'm left handed. Most times I have one hand at 8 o'clock. If I have two hands on the wheel, most times it is 8 & 4. rarely do I use 10 and 2.
My car will give me a warning if I have no hands on the wheel too long but it is capable of following the white lines on a curve.

Same here, except right handed, and possibly towards 5, not 4.

If it can steer itself, why the warning?
--
Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

On 3/21/2016 2:45 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Self driving is not legal yet. It give a warning and also will drop the steering (lane assist) This is my car
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPTIXldrq3Q