OT: Steering wheel

Still playing obtuse I see.

The reason for paying attention to where your fingers are on the wheel is to lessen the possibility of getting gloved in a wreck.

Do whatever you want.

Reply to
SeaNymph

Did you even read what I wrote? It's easy enough to turn a wheel with power steering with one hand. And easier, because you only have to give a signal to one hand.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Race cars do not have power steering.

Reply to
gfretwell

on your 1949 Massey Harris tractor.

Reply to
clare

AKA the KNUCKLE-BUSTER.

Reply to
clare

They've never done that to me.

I've heard of a knuckle breaker. That's a very long lever you put on a wheelnut to remove it when it's stiff. When it finally gives, your knuckles scrape off the car or the ground.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Seriously? I find that hard to believe.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

I reserve that for the adjustabe wrenches.

Not sure why but for some reason many years ago I started referring to the slip joint pliers as Ford pliers. Might be because I have heard that many years ago all it took to repair them was some pliers and bailing wire.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

In New York State, however, a doctor's prescription for a spinner now must be submitted to the NYSDMV, which in turn, shows that the knob is "required" on all vehicles the user drives and such requirement is entered on the user's drivers license. There is a USA federal labor law restricting their use for specific construction vehicles; although hydraulic driven power steering vehicles may not fall under this category

For forklifts: The American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) publication B56.1-2004 (and previous ANSI versions), Safety Standard for Low Lift and High Lift Trucks, addresses modifications to trucks and the use of spinner knobs.

Paragraph 4.2.1 requires modifications which may affect the safe operation of the truck be approved in writing by the truck manufacturer.

Paragraph 4.2.8 requires a spinner knob to be used with steering mechanisms that prevent road reactions to cause the steering wheel to spin where one handed operation is required and gives technical installation specifications.

Paragraph 4.2.9 allows the optional use of a spinner knob with steering mechanisms that prevent road reactions to cause the steering wheel to spin and gives technical installation specifications.

Similar paragraphs will likely be found in the Canadian Standards Association (CSA) publication CAN-B335-04, Safety Standard for Lift Trucks. People in other countries should consult their national engineering standard organization such as BSI, SAA, SNZ, etc. for similar publications.

With the exceptions of stand up operated forklifts designed for one hand operation and the accommodation of a counterbalanced truck for a disabled person, I can't think of a good reason for the use of a spinner knob. Controls for lift, tilt, side-shift, and automatic fork positioning, etc. should not be operated while the truck is in motion. Activities such as eating, drinking, using a radio, using a cell phone, etc. should also be prohibited while the truck is in motion. Both operator's hands, excluding the above exceptions, should be on the steering wheel while in motion.

Due to the poor lateral stability of forklifts (especially when not carrying a load), I would not recommend spinner knobs for normal use. I see spinner knobs as a prelude to a lateral overturn.

Also: Clark Material Handling Company on its web site specifically states Clark will not approve spinner knobs on hand steering wheels.

You should check with your truck manufacturer to see if they have a similar policy.

Installing a spinner knob without the manufacturer's approval poses a very real legal liability as you are making a modification to the truck which affects safety.

Reply to
clare

"taxed and spent" <

I've got a '73 Dodge plow truck and I have a knob on the wheel in line with the transmission shift lever. Left hand is working the plow lift rod. The plow is engine driven hydraulics, no electric pump. I consider the knob to be a very valuable item when plowing and my left hand never touches the wheel! This truck has an automatic tranny and I plow in low range. Manual shift trannys suck the bag big time for plowing! phil k.

Reply to
Phil Kangas

No air conditioning either

Reply to
gfretwell

The point is, the government has not made it illegal to have a suicide knob, barring a few restrictions for some commercial applications.

Reply to
RonNNN

I see the point when right over your head. You asked a question, I gave you an answer.

Reply to
SeaNymph

.. an absolute necessity for the old WheelHorse .. :-)

I seem to remember that the old-timey ones had girly-pictures ... ? maybe just wishful thinking .. John T.

hubops

You are absolutely right! And I remember a lot of "scripto" cigarette lighters that had girly-pictures in them too!

Reply to
RonNNN

It was like that in my first airbag cars. I also got in an accident where they went off and had my hand been on top of the wheel it definitely would have been a problem.

With my new car, the air bag is more concentrated to the center of the wheel and may not be as much of a problem in 10 to 2 but definite problem if at 12.

New cars also with gadgets like blue tooth and dash read out buttons on the wheel will put you in 10 to 2 position. Funny the other day going to beep the horn when I passed a friend walking, the horn was moved from old model to the smaller air bag housing in the center.

Reply to
Frank

Except apparently in New York you are only allowed to have one if it is "required"

Able bodied kid is not allowed to install one on his WRX hotrod.

Reply to
clare

I had my knuckles rapped real good by the knobs on both the 540 Cockshutt and the 44 Massey Harris. I took the one off the '43 PowerWagon the second time it bit me. IIRC.

Reply to
clare

I'd never want to plow with a stick. Automatic makes the job almost pleasureable - and it eliminates the common job of replacing the clutch mid-winter.

Reply to
clare

Tire chains on all four plus a thousand pounds of ballast sure add to the enjoyment! I have a pipe I mount on the cutting edge for fall and spring plowing. Without the pipe the blade will tip forward and then it cuts matte but then it is very hard to push. That's where the chains make the difference. Everyone hates to do this because the blade snaps back upright hard wrecking the pivot pins. So what I did was install an extended cylinder with a single hose to a one gallon tank full of coolant with a flow control valve with needle control. The blade is free to tip forward but the needle valve slows the return to vertical. Looks peculiar and gets many comments but it works. When a 318 is working hard in low gear low range work is getting done! ;>)} pdk

Reply to
Phil Kangas