OT: Steering wheel

Land of the free eh? Endanger YOURSELF and the government pokes their nose in.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Then the bloody things did that feminism shit.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Stop fantasising.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

I like cars without airbags with the horn in the centre of the wheel. When you press a horn, you're usually doing it quickly or angrily, so having a silly little button on the end of the indicator stalk, or the edge of the central airbag, is useless.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

I had a 76 Ramcharger 318 automatic with a Frink plough. It moved a lot of snow.

I used to also run a '43 Power Wagon as a tow truck. With (4) chains on the military tires it would go through just about anything.. I got it stuck ONCE in winter of '69-'70 - buried up to the beltline in snow

- went in hot as a cherry and was a huge icecube by the time 2 road graders and a 6X6 plow truck got it popped out.

Reply to
clare

Did you read this from the link I posted?

"New York No rules against knobs in New York's laws. NY Vehicle Code New York requires an aid on the steering mechanism if handicapped. Handicap Law"

Reply to
RonNNN

I remember Calenders with girly-pictures too! Now all you can get is pictures of kittens and hot-rods!

Reply to
RonNNN

You read it one way. I read it another.

Reply to
clare

When I was in my 20's I put one of them on my steering wheel. I did not even know there was any laws regarding them. They were sold at the local auto parts store, so I thought they were legal.

A cop pulled me over for a burnt out taillight or some small thing, and when he saw that knob, he told me it was illegal, and he could not let me drive the car until it was removed. I reached in my glove box, pulled out a phillips scrwdriver and removed it right in front of him. He told me not to put it back on, and let me go.

I do NOT see them sold in auto parts stores anymore, but farm supply stores sell them for tractors. I put one on one of my tractors, and when the steering wheel suddenly spun backwards because the front tires got into a rut, that damn spinner smashed my fingers and hurt like hell. I removed it, and will never use one again on anything!

Reply to
Paintedcow

Seems pretty clear to me. No laws against it, but required if handicapped. Nowhere does it say you "have to be handicapped" to have one.

Reply to
RonNNN

Did the cop make you fix the taillight immediately too? Seems like a burned out taillight is more hazardous than a wheel spinner.

Reply to
moderator

Nope, just told me to get the t-lite fixed....

Reply to
Paintedcow

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca formulated the question :

Wouldn't a steering ball be more better? That way only one hand is needed to steer. The other hand can hold the cell phone, yes?

Reply to
Eagle

That would draw power off the engine for not much benefit, just comfort. But surely turning a car rapidly all the time would be much easier, and you'd be able to control the car better, if it had power steering.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

WRONG! You need one hand for your cellphone and the other hand for your beer. You steer with your left knee!

Reply to
Paintedcow

Why the LEFT knee?

Reply to
Mr Macaw

And hazardous to others. The spinner can only harm him. The law should never protect someone from themselves.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

He read it. You read it incorrectly. A requirement to do something if you're disabled does not mean you can't do it if you're not.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

I asked why you thought two hands on a wheel were safer. You did not answer this question.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

My car gives me a warning too if my hands are off the wheel too long.... the sounds of guardrail scrapping along the side.

Reply to