How far can you drive your car with all the lug nuts removed?

Page 1 of 2
How far can you drive your car with all the lug nuts removed?
This is a real challenge. Remove all the lug nuts from all the tires on your car. Get in the car, and drive. How far can you drive without having a wheel fall off? This takes real skill, and separates the boys from the men.
Try it, and post your distance on this newsgroup. The person driving the furthest before a wheel falls off is the winner of the *BEST DRIVER AWARD*. "Watch your speedometer for the distance".
* DO NOT do this in traffic. Do it on a private road or a little used back road, when there is no traffic. Be sure to have your lug nuts in the car, along with a jack, and a lug wrench. Sooner or later at least one wheel will fall off, and you'll have to raise the car and put the wheel back on, with the lug nuts.
snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote the following on 10/16/2012 4:35 AM (ET):

I don't have lug nuts on my tires.

I drove 352 miles without the lug nuts on my wheels. How much did I win?

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Umm, the only automotive wheels without lug nuts (plural) are the ones referred to as "knock off" wheels and they do have a nut... just one. Wire wheels can be of either flavor, knock off, regular lug nuts or...
My car has no lug nuts or knock off nut to hold my wheels on. It has lug bolts. So far I've gone over 50K miles so I win!!!

At least that one has something going for it...as opposed to the sophmoric OP's.
Harry K

I've had a few vehicles come in where the rim was rusted to the hub so badly I could not knock them off with a sledgehammer and I resorted to putting the nuts on very loosely and going for an agressive ride. On one ond Chevy pickup it took almost 10 miles of accelerating, braking, and swerving to get all 4 loose.
On Oct 16, 11:35am, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Aluminum wheels on steel hubs can get very interesting. I to had to loosen 5 wheel nuts and drive around the block turning sharply left and right to free up the wheel I wanted to rotate a few years ago.
On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 10:13:10 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net"

I have a friend with this problem on one wheel. He has pounded on it too. I just sent him your method.

He has a 2000 Nissan pickup, but I figure the wheels are steel.

You did not win. I drove my Karmann Ghia thousands of miles with no lug nuts.

49 VW, 53 Dodge, and 57 Fargo - over 200,000 miles, 130,000 miles and 260,000 miles with no lug nuts. And then there was the '38 Terrible Pain (Terraplane) - also no lug nuts. I didn't put many miles on it and have no idea how many miles were on it when I got it.
I've also lost a wheel due to an AXLE nut coming off the rear of an MGB when my apprentice failed to re-install the cotter pin- - -It took about 3 weeks and over 750 miles.

One of my scariest encounters, was driving the roadway, and a trailer axle and wheel came rolling across the three lane road. It was a quick call, either speed up or slow down. Very unpredictable movement. I got by.
Greg
On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 23:39:26 +0000 (UTC), Red Green

My dad lost the right rear wheel on his Model A ford when he was a young guy. Took one lugnut off each remaining wheel and put the wheel back on. Then, just for kicks, he walked half a mile back the road and picked up 4 of the 5 lost nuts.
On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 20:31:14 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Wow. Model A. That must have been before the invention of the lug wrench.

Nope. But thankfully not like the 28 Chevy with demountable rims - and split rims at that. Those were more than a P.I.T.A. to change!!!!
On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 23:39:26 +0000 (UTC), Red Green

Well I lived in Philadelphia at the time. My first K Ghia was a '64 convertible that I bought from a guy that just broke down with it. $15 for the car, $55 for the parts to rebuild the engine. Fun to drive, but no heat as the heat ducts were rusted out. Drove it for about two years.
Second K Ghia was a '70 that was my brother's and was hit while parked in front of his house. That car was involved in 7 accidents and was parked all times when hit. Last hit was when it was parked up the street from my house. I took that as an omen to sell it.

Someone here was driving after having tires put on at national tire and battery. Going over a bridge wheel spun off damaging fender. Had to get toad.
Greg

Frog couldn't do the job? Or mabee Salamander?
Should have had the tires ribbetted on.
Less likely to be toad.
Someone here was driving after having tires put on at national tire and battery. Going over a bridge wheel spun off damaging fender. Had to get toad.
Greg

Had tires changed at a Costco some years back. A week or so later one of the wheels fell off (just had the car inspected that day, too) just after the wife got off an Interstate. Wife was about to change *someone* into a toad.