OT. NO cashiers at Wally World

___________ Then be prepared to be asked what "IKR" and "GGGJDJ" and R2D2C3POLADYGAGA stands for every time one of those is used around someone who cares about good conversation - like yours truly. ;)

Reply to
thekmanrocks

__________

Never again! Too complicated for me. I'd rather do what my ancestors did, before that retirement

401-IRA alphabet soup existed. Slow n steady, even if bank rates are lower than the investcos.

CDs maybe, but that's as far as I'd go.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote

I just ignored your question when you asked because it is so easy to use google with the common ones.

Reply to
Rod Speed

________ "Google it" - makes you sound like a Millennial, though I suspect you have at least a few years on this middle-ager.

But if you choose to be like that about it, instead of just explaining what something stands for, or, typing it out fully in the first place, as I do, then that's on you. Somebody else will always chime in and kindly decipher JKREIDPOOPOOKAKA ACRONYMETARD for me.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

CDs are all my IRAs have ever been.

Reply to
rbowman

Common usage changes.

Reply to
rbowman

Actually, no. The only difference is I would have paid the tax years ago instead of now. The theory is you retire and are in a better tax position when you take the RMDs. I have not retired, so I'm not. You pay the tax one way or the other and it's probably a wash.

Reply to
rbowman

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote

Nope, anyone with a clue says that.

I am in fact old enough to be your father and even your grandfather depending on where in your middle age you are.

It's certainly my choice.

They wont with that one, you watch.

Reply to
Rod Speed

It sounds like you're leaving a lot of money on the table, but for some people the simple life is a worthwhile trade-off, so good for you. If you're happy, that's what matters.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

As to medicare, you're eligible from the first of the month in which you turn 65, even if that;s the 30th of that month.

And if you want to get supplemental too, not sure if you have to do it at the same time but it's simpler, so allow a month to evaluate the choices. I didn't do that and ended up losing a whole month, although I had no medical expenses that month anyhow. Someone here wrote that Part A was automatic, so maybe they would have paid anyhow even if I had't signed up, but it's simpler to start picking at 64 and 10 months.

Applicati>>> They're good at notifying you. When I was approaching 70 they contacted

I would bet their formula anticipates that people will spend the money they get, but I'm not sure.

I let a friend influence me and I too SS at 62 iirc and so far, I'm not

84 or whatever yet so I'm losing money. but I have hopes.

Of course. That's because it's insurance, which always has some winners and some losers.

Reply to
micky

That's partly because you have your tax penalty this year and each year instead. If you earn money when you're 35 or 45, you have to pay taxes on it then and there. But the amount you put in the IRA is put in there tax free and the income tax is not owing or calculated until you retire, when you probably won't be making much other money so your tax bracket will be lower. Now brackets might not mean as much anymore, but they did for a long time

I haven't got straight if there is any other penalty for early withdrawal. Only than that you have to pay your income tax, or is there an additional charge.

But as Jim said, if you put the money back there is no penalty, I think.

I hate all these rules, that one has to keep track of.

My father had been working for 25 years already when SSecurity was passed, and as a dentist (or doctor and maybe some other occupations) he had a choice whether to participate (no choice anymore) and he didn't. He didn't spend too much**, had a life insurance policy, a secodn when he got married, and a third when I was born. After he died, my mother lived on the insurance for 40 years. She was also thrifty.

**He did take a two month trip all over Europe in 1936, and after he got married, my parents went to NYC for a few days every year. Plus one trip to Florida and one trip to Montreal and Quebec.

But there were not many ways to spend money in my little town. Not counting luncheonettes and the Dairy Queen (which only sold ice cream then), only one good restaurant.

Reply to
micky

Welcome to Usenet. As a neophyte, you might find this information useful:

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

____________ So abbreviating every other word or phrase in written discourse is now common usage??

I'm feeling like I have to throw up. I'll be back...

Reply to
thekmanrocks

I remember using those modems for BBSs back in the day.

I recall paying $200 for a 9600 baud modem.

:-)

Andy

Reply to
A K

______________ You lost me with everything you wrote prior to iterating your Dad's story.

Which, by the way, got me a little emotional and reminiscing. It's a classic American tale of working hard, saving money, and supporting a growing family, plus having enough left over for a few nice vacations and other niceties. Classic!

Thanks for sharing that

Reply to
thekmanrocks

We "like" cavedish because that is what they sold us all these years. There are plenty of far better bananas but they don't look "right" to people and they don't travel well. The ones in my back yard are heavier, shorter and packed with flavor. The problem is they turn black a day or two after you cut them off the stalk. Similar to pineapples, most people have never had a real ripe banana. They are both picked green and just allowed to change color on their way to rotting, not ripen. Pineapples are still usually green.

Reply to
gfretwell

______________ Thank you for sharing that precious resource on how to speak like a robot - or like a Millennial, pick your choice!

I prefer to communicate on here in the same style I learned in secondary and post-secondary school, thank you very much. Like I said to Rod and others, using full words and names removes any doubt or ambiguity with regards to meaning.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

That "zero % interest" usually cost you about $1500 (the amount they will knock off if you don't use that option). There is still money to be had by financing some portion of the price but pay it off as soon as they will let you and still get the rebate. For us at Ford, it was $1000 off if you financed $10,000 and you could pay it off in 90 days. It is amazing how much interest you still pay on that $10k in 3 months but you still pocket a big chunk of the grand.

My company had full retirement after 30 years, I was 49. I took it.

Reply to
gfretwell

You could do well by buying a few good dividend paying stocks in solid industries and just cashing the checks. It is far better than a bank. IBM stock is not doing that well in the market right now but those dividends keep rolling in but if I had put all the money I put into SS into IBM stock over the years, I would be a multimillionaire and just the dividends would be more than I get from SSA.

Reply to
gfretwell

_______________ Context, Cindy, context! (If that term means anything to you)

I threw the timeshare in as an example of, on top of everything else I was juggling until recently, how NOT to needlessly complicate one's life.

Work hard. Save Money. Buy a home. Start a family. Go on occasional vacations.

SIMPLE.

Reply to
thekmanrocks