OT. NO cashiers at Wally World

No kidding. An ex-gf taught me that. The regular price of greeting cards is just amazing.

Reply to
micky

My time is more valuable than that. But thanks for the recommendation.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

I'm retired now so every day is like Saturday. Lots and lots of time!

Reply to
Wade Garrett

The extent of my greeting card use are Christmas cards; various organizations provide those for free as they send unsolicited merchandise trolling for a donation.

Reply to
rbowman

I send my mother a card for Christmas, Mother's Day, and her birthday.

I give my husband a birthday card (and sometimes an anniversary card), preferably fart- or buttcrack-themed.

That's it. For 4-5 cards a year, I'm happy to pay full retail price for the convenience of buying cards at the grocery store.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

___________ That stinks

Reply to
thekmanrocks

The Walmart closest to me in CT seems to use mostly human cashiers.

I used the Stop & Shop self-checks nearly 20 years ago when they were a novelty, but haven't since.

The only reason self-checkouts are gradually replacing real cashiers is because CUSTOMERS KEEP USING THE F*KING THINGS.

Want to reverse this trend? USE HUMAN CASHIERS

Reply to
thekmanrocks

I always prefer the self-checkout. It's much faster for me. YMMV

Reply to
Jim Joyce

They do seem to hire very chatty cashiers here. I suppose it is to serve both kinds of customer. If you want your trip to Walmart to be a social event, use a cashier. If you just want to get your stuff and go, use the self check. I usually self check unless I have a cart full of stuff that takes a lot of effort to ring up. (untagged loose produce can be a pain)

Reply to
gfretwell

Then you both are liable for eliminating jobs

Reply to
thekmanrocks

I agree. Rare I use it, only if I have one or two items and the line is long for a real cashier.

My local Publix does not have them and I never have a wait. They staff properly and get you out quickly. According to a manager I spoke to some stores are getting them, mostly because the younger crowd does not want to interact with a person, just a screen.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

____________ If that's the case, it's no wonder Millennials get picked on so often!

But I think it's more a cost-saving measure than it is catering to phone-heads.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

At my nearest Walmart, one of the cashiers is an older man with one arm. You might think he'd be slow, but no way. You'll get through his line faster than most of the others, but not because the others are chatty Kathy's and he isn't. This guy chats, too, but he keeps moving. Before WM put in all of the self-serve registers, I'd always look for him and take his line when I could.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

I'm fine with that. When was the last time you used a blacksmith? A shoe cobbler? How about a chimney sweep? How long since you swung by the livery stable or took a ride on the stage coach?

If it's been a while, you might be liable for eliminating jobs.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

I think you just referred to me as being part of the 'younger crowd'. I'm flattered. :-)

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Publix is also pretty expensive compared to WalMart or Aldi. More expensive still is Sprouts according to the local yacking group.

Reply to
gfretwell

Mother is dead. No card. Brother is dead. No card. I send one to a cousin but she's in an Atlanta senior complex. May have to cross her off by December.

Wife is divorced. I did call her on her birthday to see how she is surviving the Cuomo/De Blasio follies. Conversation degenerated into "How the hell did we get so old?" She's a walking medical malfunction and I don't have a risk adverse gene in my body. Just lucky I guess.

Yeah, but if someone sends you a bundle free, that's even better. I made the mistake of sending the DAV a couple of bucks one year. That generated an endless stream of cards, calendars, pens, day planners, manicure sets, calculators, and dollar bills. It went beyond a nagging sense of obligation to really pissing me off.

Reply to
rbowman

I don't know what it is with Albertson's. I know bananas are 4011, no problem. Throw a bag of oranges on the scale, look up large navel oranges on the display, and it says you need human intervention. If there is a scannable sticker that works too. The lookups used to work.

Reply to
rbowman

When the human lines are 30' long because of the frigging social distance bullshit, I figure the cashiers are busy enough to justify their existence. One or two people in line, I go with the human.

Reply to
rbowman

It is more expensive but you get better service and employees that actually are pleasant. It is also. for me, 1 mile versus 14 miles.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski