Johnson's Paste Wax

I have read on some posts on how hard it's getting to find some. I read on another post that Lowes sells it still. I found it at Amazon for $20.16/3pk. also SC Johnson's website is selling it for $33.06/6pk. Just wanted to pass this info along. A 6 pack my be excessive but I figure i'll have some to pass on to my grandchildren years down the road. The links are below.

Rick

Reply to
RampRat

I actually have a can of Johnsons that I took out of my grandfathers shop. The can appears to be built to survive the cold war and must be about 50 years old.

>> Rick

Reply to
Rick Cox

There were sure piles of the Johnson's wax at Ft. Leonard Wood PX back when I took basic('66)....I just bet there are a few cans there yet.

Larry(SP4-E4)

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote

I've been reading posts about Johnson's paste wax being discontinued for three years now. Evidently no one at Lowe's has seen them yet.

Reply to
MikeG

I thought that it was discontinued in the GWN but still on sale down here.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

The half-dozen Ace Hardware stores I pop into in the area all stock it.

Reply to
patrick conroy

I have a can of Briwax that came from my grandfather.:)

Reply to
Gino

Johnson's can be found, if only at their website. But I was still able to buy Trewax at a grocery store last time I needed some. I think it works better, but even if not it's "as good as" and easier to find.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

There are a lot of automotive waxes that should be as good. Just avoid the silicone based waxes.

Dick

Reply to
Richard Cline

Anyone know of a supplier in Canada.

Reply to
Gino

Thu, Dec 16, 2004, 8:36am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net (RampRat) A 6 pack my be excessive

MAY be excessive? I've got a can I bought years back, in my local grocery (that still carries it, as far as I know), plus a full can I bought at a flea market for $1. I'm pretty generous with it when I use it, but the first can isn't even half gone. Get some buddies to chip in with you, get the 6 pack, and just get 1-2 cans each. Or, just buy the

6 pack, then SELL some to your buddies. Higher price to your enemies. LOL

JOAT Ask any question you please of the Gods. They do not have to answer.

- Ko'a Orto'o, Gnomic Utterances, II xvi

Reply to
J T

Ah, yes, the Johnson's Paste Wax myth. Yes, you can still get it. I believe it is no longer marketed in Canada, and that is the source of the posts.

Of course, if they no longer sell it in Canada, no telling when and if they will pull it from the US market as well.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

They won't even ship to Canada. US addresses only.

I would love a couple cans to finish my MDF work benches. It's so cheap. Lee Valley sells a paste wax product but it's a bit pricy. Is it the same as Johnson's? I have an old can of Briwax clear, full, I wonder if it would be the way to go. Stinks like hell!

Minwax make a paste wax but I can't find out if it contains sillycones or not.

Reply to
Gino

I've gone through about four cans in the last two years. I'm almost out again. I use that stuff on everything, and use it often.

Reply to
Silvan

I did't know it is hard to find. I get it at the local Ace Harware store. Dave

Reply to
Dave W

Gino SameOld asks:

Similar to Johnson's, not a cone in sight, silly or otherwise.

Charlie Self "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston Churchill

Reply to
Charlie Self

Anybody know whether that's due to a business decision, or to U.S. export regulations, or Canadian import regulations?

According to Minwax, their "Paste Finishing Wax" is silicone-free. I phoned them and asked. They also sent a copy of the MSDS, and it makes no mention of silicone.

Doug Miller

Charlie have you ever used the Briwax, it stinks to high heaven but boy does it dry HARD. You really need the elbow grease to buff it out. The only can I've got or used is at least 40 years old. It's been laying around here for years and I just opened it a month or two ago.

I looked up their website and it looks to be good stuff.

Reply to
Gino

According to Johnson's it because UPS doesn't come to Canada and that the only way they ship.

They couldn't or wouldn't name a single company in Canada selling the stuff either, even though there is nothing stopping Canadian retailers or wholesalers from buying the stuff.

Reply to
Gino

Interesting. Heck, I'll ship it USPS Parcel Post to any Canadian that wants it. For the right price, of course... :-)

Doug Miller