Johnson's Paste Wax

Johnson's is a floor wax (says so on the can), but it is not allowed for commercial floor use under OSHA regs (my understanding). Johnson's apparently decided against reformulating their namesake product (I believe it says Johnson's original paste wax on the can), which may be one reason why it now has a pretty small market and can be hard to find in some areas. I also assume (without any real basis in knowledge) that the lack of anti-slip additives in a product that says it is a floor wax may be why Johnson's Paste Wax is not sold in Canada (their regs may be a bit more stringent than ours and not allow it for commercial OR non-commercial floor applications).

Dave Hall

Reply to
Dave Hall

Briwax is $20 a can here in the great white north, that's $3 cheaper than Lee Valley's product. Does the Lee Valley wax have anti-slip agents? I assume the Briwax does not because it's a furniture wax. I figure Johnsons will cost me at least $15 delivered from anywhere in the US. Briwax looks like the way to go, and hey I've already got a 40 year old can of the stuff almost full.:) I can't find anything else.

I may need on of those buffers for Briwax.:)

Reply to
Gino

I don't have that problem... my wife calls my haircut a "no hawk"..

the basic theory is that God made some really good looking heads... but covered up the ones that didn't turn out too well with hair.. *g*

Reply to
mac davis

70% sounds kind of low, Charlie.... I doubt if they go more than 15% domestic, as they're experts in marketing what will sell well.. and most domestic products are not "affordable" compared to imports.. (yep, we've priced ourselves out of the market)
Reply to
mac davis

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

I've heard you can get it as low as $4 or less a can wholesale. Ebay was on of the first place I checked on the net. I'd be interested in seeing a delivered price to Canada.:)

Reply to
Gino

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 21:59:03 -0700, Mark & Juanita calmly ranted:

It always _is_.

Jake to the rescue! I'll buy that stash from you for a whopping 12 cents on the dollar, sir, and I'll even pay half the shipping. I like the stuff. Got my address, Mark?

----------------------------------------------------------- -- This post conscientiously crafted from 100% Recycled Pixels --

Websites: PHP Programming, MySQL databases ==================================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

mac davis responds:

I can't recall which program I heard that 70% on, but I'd guess it's fairly accurate--the networks ain't really in love with Walmart.

As far as pricing ourselves out of the market, yeah, I guess that's the case. Most factory workers want to live at least as well as lower level management types (who really manage nothing). That prices them out of the market at today's prices, but there is a huge list of objective, and subjective, reasons for prices being as high as they are--check some history on the early Levittown houses bought by WWII, as compared to today's "entry" level first owner homes. Under 1000 SF (some were around 800SF), compared to over 2700 SF, for a start.

Charlie Self "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston Churchill

Reply to
Charlie Self

So why does that cause you to suppose the figure is accurate?

Doug Miller

On 17 Dec 2004 10:39:57 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) calmly ranted:

Please cite your info source, Charlie. I've been looking for that kind of info on Wally World for over a year now.

I buy more food and US-made "stuff" from there than I do their Chinese imports.

----------------------------------------------------------- -- This post conscientiously crafted from 100% Recycled Pixels --

Websites: PHP Programming, MySQL databases ==================================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I'm going with the Briwax. More money than Johnson's but at least it's available. Home Hardware sells it for $20 and on sale $15 (about twice a year) But not right now .:( No anti-slip agents, Just beeswax and carnauba. It's hard as hell, and even comes in colors.

Reply to
Gino

Larry Jaques asks:

Yeah, well evidently most of the 30% American made stuff is food or similar.

I wish I could recall which news program...local or national...it could even have been a story on AOL news. Dunno. I just remembered the figures, because Walmart made such major brags about buying American made whenever they could when they first moved to this area.

Seems like whenever they can is when they're in the fields looking at produce.

Charlie Self "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston Churchill

Reply to
Charlie Self

A guy I work with always says that he's not bald, he's just taller than his hair.

Reply to
CW

No, AAMOF I don't. Please follow the following steps.

  1. Send me your address
  2. Hold your breath
  3. Wait

:-)

I'm perfectly happy with my JW stash, who knows, one of these days they really may abandon the market -- then where will the rest of you be?

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

ingrown hair, or does it sprout somewhere else?

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

On 17 Dec 2004 17:41:10 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) calmly ranted:

"They're biased against them so it's accurate?" Oy vay! :-/

From sources I just saw by googling "walmart imports", Wally World imports about $15B per year from China and does over $256B a year in sales. Figuring a triple markup, that's 45 vs. 256, or 6%. Where does that put your 70% figure (despite my wholesale vs. retail figures)? They hire 1.2 million Americans at an average of $9.98/hr for full-time associates.

Also, Walmart is the first company with their foot in the door and stores in China. They're now exporting some of America's goods to China, a Good Thing(tm).

----------------------------------------------------------- -- This post conscientiously crafted from 100% Recycled Pixels --
Websites: PHP Programming, MySQL databases ==================================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 12:53:47 -0700, Mark & Juanita calmly ranted:

The adddress is on my website, I can't hold my breath that long or I turn purple and pass out, and I'm very good at waiting. (Um, I lied about that last one. I'm impatient as hell.)

In the Renaissance Wax line at Wally World, of course.

----------------------------------------------------------- -- This post conscientiously crafted from 100% Recycled Pixels --

Websites: PHP Programming, MySQL databases ==================================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

BANNED IN CANADA! We only have ONE CAN LEFT! First bid $149.95, reserve not yet met.

Reply to
Silvan

Mine must be getting better looking every day then. Though I figured it was just because my brain has been expanding and pushing my forehead up as I have acquired more woodworking knowledge.

Reply to
Silvan

It alludes to being a floor wax in the fine print, but it doesn't call itself a floor wax.

Reply to
Silvan