Band Saw comparison

SWMBO has agreed for me to get a new band saw. The two that I am looking at are the delta 14" open stand (28-276) and the Rikon 14". I have heard good things about both saws so quality comparison is not my real concern, although I will closely compare the two. My bigger question is the different style of the two saws. The Rikon is a European style saw and therefore a riser block is not an option. With the Delta I can obviously add a riser to allow 12" resaw. I am not sure how important the 12" capacity will be to me. To date I have done some 5" - 6" resawing on my old craftsman 12" but have never had a need for any more than that. Keep in mind that I only have a 6: jointer so I can not prep bigger at this time unless I learn to do it with hand planes. From what I understand the European style saws tend to be smoother, and the Rikon has a 1hp motor and roller guides; but I am concerned that I will want to resaw larger pieces in the future. Of course my dad already has the 28-276 so I could always use his to resaw in the future. What are other people?s opinions about the two different styles of saw, and these saws in particular? TIA

-Rob

Reply to
Rob Ritch

Both styles have been around for a while, so nobody gets longevity points. Points are awarded, in my mind for robustness of table and trunnion. (D)

Roller guides are useful in certain circumstances, worse than useless in others. Points for ease of change, perhaps. (D)

One horse options for the Delta, so add the bucks to your price comparison. If you saw big or wet, really makes a difference in speed. (R)

Used to say the parts chain would be open forever, but that's in doubt - for both. Still, in sheer numbers of saws, I still like my Delta's chances, which is why I'd recommend it.

Reply to
George

I own an older, but not ancient 14" Delta, closed stand, with a riser block. The answer to the question really depends upon what is your main use of the saw.

Although I have the riser block installed, I've rarely approached the capacity in most of my furniture and cabinet endeavors. IOW, I don't think I would miss it.

In short, do you really need the added capacity with the riser? If not, I'd pick the smoothest cutting, most vibration free of the two. Since you already have a 28-276 as a go-by, I'd certainly tryout the Rikon, equipped with the same blade, for those qualities before making up my mind.

Also keep in mind that, at least in my experience, the addition of the riser can often throw things out of whack and, particularly with the newer models, getting them back cutting to "spec" may be more of an involved process than you want to be bothered with if all what you want to do is make sawdust.

Reply to
Swingman

Couple of points to consider:

When I was in the market for a bandsaw a few years ago, I decided *against* the Delta 14" open-stand model in part due to the position of the switch: too low to be easily reached by hand (particularly if the need arises to shut it off quickly), and low enough that it could be bumped by a leg or knee. I don't want the saw turning on or off accidentally.

I settled on the Delta 14" closed-stand with Carter roller guides. While the roller guides are *great* for resawing, or for ripping thick stock, they

*suck* for scrollwork. You can't use blades smaller than 3/16" with roller guides: there just isn't enough metal there to guide. For scrollwork, you need a finer blade than 3/16, and that means you need guide *blocks* that can completely enclose the blade.

Also, the roller guides are a real pain in the neck to adjust, when you change to a blade of a different thickness. Block guides generally have a micrometer-style thickness adjustment.

Doug Miller

Why did you exclude the Powermatic 1791216K PWBS-14CS from your choices. I think it beats out both Delta and Rikon.

Never Enough Money

"Never Enough Money" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Simple matter of cost. $900.oo is not in the budget.

Reply to
Rob Ritch

The Delta 14" model 475 (I think) is roughly the same cost. Is that not the 14" Delta you were looking at?

Reply to
Never Enough Money

"Never Enough Money" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

The one that I am looking at is the 28-276 at ~$450.00

Rob Ritch

8-2/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i2_xgl60/104-9149691-9227923?v=glance&s=hi&n=507846$450 seems steep. This exact same model is available at Lowes for $399.

Reply to
taxpayer779

Just got this e-mail from Grizzly...

like they are having a closeout on their 14".

The riser kit is $40.00

Reply to
sandwrtr

Reply to
Phisherman

Rob.. you have a lot more band saw experience than me.. I've had mine for about

2 weeks.. *g*

I have the ridgid bs1402, which seems identical to the griz.. not sure how it compares to the Delta.. it was on "sale" at HD for $350..

About the riser block issue.. I just got mine (from griz) and will install it this weekend.. My main reason for the extra cutting height is for slicing bowl blanks, but there is another issue that you might want to consider.. I want to build a better table and fence system for mine, probably like Charlie's..

figure that making a NEW table is reinventing the wheel, but adding a table such as Charlie's makes sense.. If I add the table to my saw as it is now, I'm probably going to lose between 1" and 2" off my max cut, because of the added thickness of the table.. An inch or 2 off 12" is a lot less "ouch" than the same amount off 6"..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

blanks, but

Mac, I just picked up the exact same Ridgid about 45 minutes ago. What are your thoughts on this saw?

Reply to
taxpayer779

The mounting holes for the switch box were already there on mine, so I mounted a box right where the closed stand switch mounts. Not having the closed stand gives me a bit of "storage" for someday wood underneath, with an additional plywood shelf to which the casters are mounted where the floor would be.

Reply to
George

Thought ONE: follow the part of the assembly directions that state "have a helper when you take the band saw out of the box and place on stand"..

I spent over an hour putting the stand together and then didn't have the patience to go find help.. As usual, my 58 year body still pictured myself as 25, so I did it by myself.. NOT a good idea..

Once the thing is assembled and steady on the feet, it seems very nice... I can't compare it to any other saw, but the bottom guides seem really hard to get to and/or see when you do your adjustments... almost need to take the table off to do it right..

The dust collection is very poor.. I'm thinking of putting a 4" port in the bottom door, but it would be a PITA for cleaning and stuff, and if you happen to stand in front of the table, it would get in the way..

I was sort of worried about the Ridgid brand, but it's the same as a Grizzly, so it can't be that bad.. it cuts well and now I wonder what I did without it!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I tried that when I assembled mine and decided no way. I bolted the saw to the stand with both lying on their sides. Easier to walk it up to vertical then to lift it on to the stand.

I have found it convenient to do just that since I do not change the blade too often. It is so much easier to set the guides with no table. Plus you get great access to clean out sawdust.

I put a 4" adaptor on the existing port and connected a portable dust collector. A lot better than nothing but still leaves a lot compared to the same dust collector on a jointer or planer.

John

Reply to
John

================== ROTFLMAO..... As a guy just a few years older then you (61) I can relate...but my body honestly has no idea of what it looks like (pictured itself) ...it does however have lots of parts (arms, legs, knees, back etc that send a signal up to my 18 year old brain telling the brain that boy this guy is going to feel it tomorrow...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

Rob Ritch wrote in news:Xns960147B491C63robritchnospamcomcas@216.196.97.136:

Went to the woodworking show this weekend and ended up getting a good deal on the Jet 14" closed stand. Was able to pick it up for $455.00 after $50.00 mail in rebate. Put it together and installed the Kreg fence this afternoon. First impressions is that this is a much nicer saw than either of the other 2 that I was looking at (Was able to look at all 3 at the show)

Reply to
Rob Ritch

Woodworking show at the Expo? I drooled on the Mini Max band saw and that all-in-one whatever it was near by. It took me a few minutes to figure out what did what and where you'd stand to use the TS component.

I missed the Kreg display - too many people around it. What made you decide on the Kreg fence?

Josie

Reply to
firstjois

Ayup. Thank God for a strapping 14 yr. old Grandson! Not at all sure this

67(then) yr. old would have gotten the G0555 stand & rolling base together, then get the saw itself down the cellar steps.
Reply to
Norman D. Crow