Rikon Band Saws -Good?/ Bad?

Just wondering if anyone has had experience with Rikon band saws. Looking for a band saw and happened upon this brand the other day on a Google search.

Jay Lotz

I was at the Woodworking show yesterday and saw this and the 18" version. I was impressed with the quality of the saws but did not see them in action.

David

Reply to
DL

In the last month or so this brand got a Top Value rating IIRC.

Reply to
Leon

Take a look here also. While Woodcraft is $20 higher, they have a 1 year return policy in case it is not what you expected.

Leon

So why hasn't an owner stepped up to respond to any of these questions? max

Reply to
max

I suspect that no owner of a Rikon band saw participates in this news group.

Reply to
Leon

Well, I did look at on at Woodcraft in Towson MD today. They started it and it seemed like a very smooth running saw. Nice fence and very nice table. The only issue I have is the lack of ability to take a riser block for more than about 6 inches of resaw capability.

Allen Still three months from my final bandsaw decision to replace a 30 yo Craftsman.

Reply to
Allen

I think I would go for the 18" model. Reasonably priced this month at 899 and maybe 10% more on the 24th.

Reply to
Leon

They also said the 18" Jet would go on sale Thursday at $900. It seems very nice. Comes with nice roller guides, solid fence etc.

Allen

Reply to
Allen

It is on sale for 899 for all of February.

Leon

Reply to
Leon

Because I've only had it installed for less than a week and I haven't really done more than a cursory test of it so far. What I've seen, I like. I was impressed with the write up in Fine Woodworking, and impressed again when I saw it in person at Woodcraft. It went together easily enough, though I think I got screwed by the electrician on the installation of 22V service. (Can't blame that on Rikon).

It's big, heavy and feels like quality. Setup was easy and supposedly swapping blades is very easy, though I haven't done it myself yet. I've been in contact with an outfit called BC Saw up in Canada that offers a 15% discount with the purchase of four blades and a 25% purchase of ten blades; you can mix the types to come up with the quantity for the discount.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

My 18" Rikon also came with roller guides and a fence. Two 4" dust collection ports, and internal brush to sweep the crap off the tires. What else do you need? It'll resaw up to 12" and has a bigger table than the 18" Jet or Delta.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

I just got the Rikon 18 inch, the 10-340, last weekend at Woodcraft. I am writing a report on the experience and hopefully will have it available by next weekend.

I got it on sale at Woodcraft for $899. I picked it up at our local store.

The net is that I like it. It cuts smoothly and is a solid repeatable tool. Having said that, it took a while to tune it and learn some of its idiosyncrasies. In particular the blade tension adjustment, while repeatable, takes some getting used to to set up. It also took a while to align the table to the blade and the table is not as solid as I would like.

I'll post more when I compile the report.

TWS

Reply to
TWS

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 01:59:05 GMT, the inscrutable "Mortimer Schnerd, RN" spake:

"Rikon"? Scooby Doo is selling cameras now?

- If the gods had meant us to vote, they'd have given us candidates. --------------

Website Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Alas, per a call to the local store, the sale on the saw ends on

2/23/05. So you can buy it on sale for $899.99 'till then, or you can wait until the 24th and buy it for $899.99. Your choice.

They look very nice but since I'm having surgery on my shoulder on

3/3, with a slight chance of a worse or no better outcome, I think I'll wait so see whether I will stay in the WWing hobby before spending any more dough.
Reply to
Wes Stewart