bandsawa

Hello I'm new here and am probly re-asking an old question. Are those low priced DElta bandsaws any good or are they a continuious pain in the rear? I need to be able to resaw up to 6 inches in thickness, usually a softwood. Right now all I build are trellies, arbors, outdoor iture, but will as my skills encrease move on to indoor stuff like wainscotting, cabinets, and tables. Any suggestions? Thanks Bob

Reply to
Bob Bickers

If you are talking about the small table top model that sells for $99 it is not suitable for what you intend to do. I don't know about any of the other saws they offer.

Regards, Charlie

Reply to
Charlie H.

The Delta 28-276 3/4 HP 14" Professional Band Saw is basically the same as their more expensive 14" saws. They save on cost with the open stand and

3/4 HP motor. It will resaw 6" and even accept their riser block kit to increase that to 12". Some may saw its under powered but for years this same saw ran on 1/2 & 3/4 HP motors just fine until the Chinese tool wars started and the easiest way to say my saw is better that yours was to just hang a bigger motor on it. Now we're up to 1 1/2HP on the high end 14" saws. Do we need it? Anyway, the 28-276 is a nice little saw for under $500. Amazon has them now for $379. I wouldn't go with anything smaller than the 14" for your requirement, you'll just be disappointed.
Reply to
Max Mahanke

The thing to remember is the 14" saws are essentially all the same saw with slightly different stuff bolted on em and different color paint. The riser kit for one of them will fit any of them, that should tell you something. At the lower price range you have the Delta 28-276, the Grizzly G0580 and the Ridgid. The Griz is the most expensive unless you happen to live close enough to one of their showrooms to pick it up, I'm assuming you can get the other 2 locally. The Ridgid is a little cheaper than the Delta, the Delta has a bigger table.

I just got the Delta 28-206 for the bigger motor and tension release, otherwise it's the same as the 276. The 3/4 hp motor on the 276 won't have any problems with 6" of softwood. It was missing 8 bolts out of

26 for the stand which didn't thrill me. Otherwise everything went together fine. Wheels were coplanar out of the box. No vibration with the blade off, a little with it on but i've done no tweaking at all yet so I'm quite satisfied so far.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

Which low priced Delta Bandsaws? I think the 14" is ok, based on what others have said, but you may need to tune it.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

I can't comment about the Delta, but I have the low-end Ridgid 14" saw and for $300 it's a lot of saw for the money, IMHO.. I put in the riser kit a year or so ago.. the grizzly kit is 1/2 the price of the ridgid and fits... 3/4 hp isn't a monster but works for me on up to 11" thick stock and cuts larger diameter circles than I can fit on my 14" lathe..

Mac

mac davis

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 13:51:17 -0800, Bob Bickers wrote: Thanks guys, you've been a big help. Bob

Reply to
Bob Bickers