help converting a (adjustable) shelf into a pull out shelf

Hello,

I am seeking suggestions/advice on experimental project. One of the kitchen cabinets is very narrow -- 4.5" opening, 12" deep. It is difficult to get at stuff way in the back. Hence the desire to have a pull out shelf.

This wall cabinet is at the end -- so another constraint is that I can not have screws from the side.

The face frame is 1.5" wide. So the internal width is about 7.5".

I am considering these options:

  1. Center mount slide. Screw back of slide into the back wall. Make a wood cross rail and glue (or somehow fasten) it to the face frame. Screw the front of the slide into the new cross rail. Slide the shelf on this center mounted rail. Problem #1 -- cant find a source for 12" center mount slides. Problem #2. Fastening the cross rail and matching the stain (the cross rail will not be visible when the door is shut).

  1. Side mount slide. Eats up another inch of room. Pretty much impossible to fasten the rear/back end of the slide to the cabinet wall. Screws will likely show.

  2. Under mount slide. A slide on each end. Face frame mounting kits available. Eats up space.

Obviously I prefer option #1 (if only I could find some slides).

Any suggestions including out-of-the-box (heh) ideas are welcome.

Thanks,

-Harsh

Reply to
harsh

Would these work?

Chris Friesen

Cut the frame and make it part of a new drawer/sliding shelve. Dave

Reply to
Teamcasa