Basic cabinet question

So, I'm making some roll around cabinets for the shop. About 33" high with 5 drawers in them. I'm using 3/4 ply for the carcass with a 3/4 stock face frame for the front. The face frame is 1 1/2" wide. This leaves 3/4" reveal behind it.

I'm using full extension slides and my friend says "hey you should really get the Kreg drawer jigs to set this up, they are great:". Never passing a reason to buy another tool, I get them. This is the magnet thing to set the slides into the cabinet and the little shelf things to put the slides onto the drawer.

Now, I have to bring the slides out the 3/4" to be flush with the face frame so I'm using 1x2 pine behind each slide. This all works, but what I don't get is when I look at the video of this guy demoing them, he doesn't seem to have anything like my pine to raise out the slide.

I missing something here? I would like to save any steps I can as I want to make a bunch of these. My two options here are to first attach the pine to the inside of the cabinet and then use the Kreg jig to attach the slide, or, attach the slide and the pine toghether with the jig and use longer screws to attach it to the crarcass.

-Jim

Reply to
jtpr

It looks to me like his face frames are flush with the inside of the cabinet whereas it sounds like yours are flush with the outside of the cabinet...

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Look at the lower right corner of the face frame in the video...

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

IMO (and with very much experience in mounting drawer slide hardware), you wasted your money on the Kreg jig, particularly for face frame cabinets. I have one and have never used it after the first try ... too slow and cumbersome.

It is much easier to mount the slides on, in your case 3/4" plywood "spacers", then mount the spacers with the slides already attached,to the cabinet end panels with a couple of 1", 18ga brads.

If you cut the front edge of the spacer perfectly square, the slide will then mount square to the cabinet when you hold them against the back face of the face frame. If you should need to tweak them a bit, you gently tap then with a deadblow hammer, before screwing the spacer to the end panels with screws.

Here is a self explanatory jig that is quick to make, and will allow you to do a ton of drawer slides in a short time in face frame cabinets:

last photo shows one side mounted in a cabinet.

The above is the fastest, most efficient way to install a bunch of drawer slides in face frame cabinets ... guaranteed.

Reply to
Swingman

And if they weren't as John said, They could be using the adapters in the back that allow you to attach to the back of the cabinet.

But it's probably like John said, I didn't view the video.

Reply to
tiredofspam

And if they weren't as John said, They could be using the adapters in the back that allow you to attach to the back of the cabinet.

But it's probably like John said, I didn't view the video.

Reply to
tiredofspam

Reply to
tiredofspam

Stop the video at the 2:14 thru 2:16 time marks, by double clicking on the pause/resume prompt, and you can see the face frame/carcass edges head on.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

On the left side top slide, mounted with the face frame in place, it looks like he has a spacer behind the drawer slide on the inside of the carcass.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

The left and right sides of the carcass/face frame are different... on the left side the face frame is flush on the outside and the right on the inside... on the left there is a spacer inside and on the right there isn't. As he rotates the cabinet this can be seen. At least that is what I see. ;~) It's a slight of hand... he could side-line as a magician. ;~)

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin