OT. NO cashiers at Wally World

Walmart hasn't given up on the idea of customers doing their own checkout.

I'm growing up to be a cranky old fart but that annoys me. It's nice having a clerk say hi and thank you even if he's said it a couple dozen times that day. The local grocery store has that plus carry out if needed. The local Walmart still has four traditional checkout lanes but they've been unmanned the last couple times I've had to stop there. There are people helping with the self checkout. Maybe they won't be around either after Walmart management thinks customers are sufficiently trained.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I agree with you.

Sometimes I do not feel like ringing up my own stuff and bagging it.

And if Walmart goes to no cashiers at all their stores, I will cut back on my shopping there.

There a other stores that will retain cashiers.

Andy

Reply to
A K

I prefer self checkout but have avoided Wally World as I heard it was crowded and they were lined up to get in. I can get the same stuff at other stores without the hassle.

Reply to
Frank

They'll be around as loss prevention associates.

Reply to
rbowman

I would use self checkout if I could get the &^%$&^%$ bags open.

Reply to
TimR

Dean Hoffman snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net wrote

True.

More fool you.

Lot more than that and I'm not that desperate and the self checkout supervisor is there for that if I was that desperate.

Don’t need it.

So what are you moaning about ?

They are needed to prevent fraud, stupid.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Reminds me years ago at a KMart ripping a bag of fertilizer open dragging it across the self checkout scanner. Not a big hole but there was a trail of fertilizer.

Reply to
Frank

I don't have any problem ringing-up/bagging my own stuff- but I expect a discount for doing the store's job if I do...maybe 2%-3%.

Reply to
WadeGarrett

The benefit to me is getting out faster. There is always a line at the cashiers. If there was not, I would go there first. Self checkout is cheaper for the store but there is equipment cost, maintenance and need for a couple of helpers to be there when something does not work right.

Reply to
Frank

I imagine the labor saving is tempered by the shrinkage. There was a thread here recently telling you how to cheat the self checkout and that is far from the only way. When they get the RFID tags on everything and we have our "chip", that will be easier to deal with I suppose.

Reply to
gfretwell

I did screw up once and double scanned an item and had to return to the store after noticing when I got home and had to go back and get the charge removed. Waiting in line at Walmart to do this was a PITA. I should have just picked up a second item and if questioned just shown the receipt.

Reply to
Frank

I've found more opening-resistant bags in the produce section.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

I used to hear complaints about customers paying by check and not even starting to write the check until the cashier tells the amount (as if they don't already know the date and the name of the store).

Now, the bad sign is the customer ahead of you carrying a notebook full of coupons. I have nothing against using coupons, but these people often make the cashier search the customer's cart for EACH item and argue over the price.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

With RFID you can just walk out the door. They scan everything, including your credit card.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Dampen your fingers a little bit. There's usually plenty of water around.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Not possible with loose fruit and veg.

Yes.

Not possible when you have more than one and not possible with google pay, apple pay etc.

Reply to
Rod Speed

But then you contaminate the loose fruit and veg.

Nope.

Reply to
Rod Speed

American grocers habitually spray water on leafy vegetables. Alternatively, for anything that's refrigerated, there's usually some humidity condensed on something.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Worse is the person with a wallet full of EBT and credit cards, most of which are tapped out, and the negotiation as they remove items until the total is the $3.57 they are good for.

Reply to
rbowman

About a year ago a young woman with her toddler in tow was $2 short at the checkout for a 50 0r 60 dollar order. They were going to put something back and whatever. I just paid the difference for her.

Everyone thought I was wonderful. Maybe just a little but my motivation was also that it would get me out of the store faster than they could do the exchanges.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski