OT. NO cashiers at Wally World

Wally World is pretty bad about putting stuff out there with no stickers and I am left trying to decide what kind of apple I bought from a list of 10. I usually just pick one and move on. I am not sure who is getting screwed here.

Reply to
gfretwell

I am a Publix guy myself but I do wonder why I am not buying my canned and packaged stuff at a cheaper place sometimes. Campbells soup is Campbells soup.

Reply to
gfretwell

I make the occasional trip to BJs for some items like that and for meats. Most are about half the price of supermarkets. Problems is, some containers are just too big for one or two people. A jar of mayo will last me many months so I don't need the Giganto size.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The inventory control system? I buy both yellow and sweet onions, and red onions rarely. If they're all the same price what happens if I mix and match?

It amuses me when I go through a human checkout and the checker holds up an item and says "What is this?" Sometimes that's followed by "What do you do with it?" I've even had them puzzled by an eggplant. I don't think some people spend much time in the fruit and vegetable area.

Reply to
rbowman

The four major markets are about equidistant for me so I switch them up. There are some items I avoid. One has a good selection of veggies and is overall as cheap as the other two. Except for jalapenos, which are $2.99 a pound when the other two are $1.49. I never figured that out.

We briefly had a Lucky's before the whole chain went t*ts up but that never showed me much. Then there's the super cool Good Foods Store. Their only attraction is they have red curry paste and the others only have yellow and green. I like them all but I also like a little variety.

Reply to
rbowman

I like the idea of self-checkout, but if I have a cart full of groceries I'm just as happy to let the cashier scan and bag them for me.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

  1. You must not be very picky about the apple varieties you like. I'll only buy one or two varieties.
  2. I buy apples by the bag. They're just as good, haven't been picked over by every shopper in the store, and are a little smaller. More the size apples were when I was a girl.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Picked some up at the gardening store and went to the recycling center to pick up some compost. The bags had "Odor Free" printed on them but we had to have the windows open on the way to the recycling center.

They should have printed "Odor provided at no extra charge" instead.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

Jicama used to always confuse them but now days they seem to know what it is. I have had them ring it up as a baking potato before tho.

Reply to
gfretwell

I have to drive by Walmart on the same side of the street to get to Publix and they are opening an Aldis right there soon. I suppose I could buy my non perishables there, get my meat at Publix and stop by Sprouts for produce on the way home but that is really too much shopping for me.

Reply to
gfretwell

I really don't eat a lot of apples. These are usually for my FIL. I am more of a citrus guy. It has more good stuff in it.

Reply to
gfretwell

I have sort of the opposite problem here. Walmart is excellent at making sure every single piece of fruit has a sticker, but when it comes to apples, my wife seems to regularly serve them up with the sticker still attached. I've eaten more than a few of those stickers.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Many, many years ago, my first wife accompanied a friend of hers to Costco for the first time. She came home with a gallon tub of Cheez-Whiz and a

5-gallon bucket of "restaurant style" pickles. Both went almost entirely to waste. Neither of us were big fans of either of those products. She said she got carried away watching her friend buy stuff in large containers.
Reply to
Jim Joyce

This, too, shall pass.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Good, so at least it doesn't get chewing gum's 7-year plan.

I'd hate to go to my next colonoscopy and have the doc ask me about all those apple stickers.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

I pass by a Walmart superstore every day on my way to work, and often on weekends if I go into town. I have gotten groceries there very infrequently if I was looking for something else but I don't usually even think of it as a grocery store.

One time I can remember I couldn't find molasses at Albertson's and stopped there since it was on my way home. I guess I better lay in a supply since Brer Rabbit might be the next to go...

Reply to
rbowman

I grew up in apple country and we'd buy a bushel of macs and a peck of one of the eating apples. I can't even find the Northern Spys I liked when I was a boy.

At one time there were orchards up the Bitterroot and there is even a neighborhood called Orchard Homes. The problem was manipulation by the railroads. The growers would ship the apples up the spur line to Missoula where they would sit. The railroads had an interest in protecting the Washington growers. The history of railroads in the western US isn't pretty. Nevada in particular got screwed by the controlling interests in California. Freight tariffs can kill you.

Anyway, the orchards are still there, mostly McIntosh, and the apples appear in the local markets. They're scrawny and misshapen, hardly what consumers expect with the modern cultivars. However there is a flourishing local (hard) cider industry that makes use of them. The brewers even have a credit plan for people who bring in apples from their own trees.

Reply to
rbowman

There is no old saying about 'an orange a day'.

Reply to
rbowman

Sweet potatoes and yams confuse them too. Most of the time yams are quite a bit cheaper so that's one item I pay attention to when they ring it up.

Reply to
rbowman

Butt with a mislabeling problem.

Reply to