OT. NO cashiers at Wally World

No kidding... I'm not always fully awake when I'm building my lunch salad. Green peppers are what usually provide the extra roughage, or sometimes tomatoes or cukes. The radishes and carrots are safe. and the sweet onion stickers get discarded with the skins.

Reply to
rbowman

I doubt it given that all fruit and veg has to be at least washed before shipping and its so easy to stick a sticker on it then.

The best of our self checkouts will actually read the tiny label thru the translucent plastic bag you put loose fruit into in the supermarket.

Reply to
Rod Speed
[snip]

Or things (probably not food, but some pharmacy stuff) with the customer annoyance devices that someone's supposed to deactivate.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I prefer apples to citrus because they are easier to eat in winter.

I prefer nectarines when they are in season.

Reply to
Rod Speed
[snip]

The last time I interacted with a cashier, I was buying light bulbs, and the cashier was handling them really carefully. However, these were LED bulbs which are plastic and not so fragile. Better that mistake than the opposite one.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

They had one (stagecoach) at the local festival I went to a few years ago. I still remember the sign "powered by oats - please don't step in the exhaust".

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Ever since they started that, I knew there was something wrong. SOCIAL distancing is, and always has been, something to AVOID. It's PHYSICAL distancing that's important.

At least when neither of them has a notebook full of coupons. Those can be REALLY slow.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

I have known people shopping at multiple grocery stores to save a little. I wonder how that compares to the extra gas your car uses from the multiple starts.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Aldis never impressed me. Tried a few times but they have injected meat. some good and some bad produce.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yeah, me too. And I mostly eat only granny smiths and only eat anything else when the granny smiths are too small.

I don’t.

I don’t agree, but I do want larger ones.

Most don’t buy loose apples so that doesn't happen.

That’s the last thing I want.

I was never a girl and I don’t recall that the apples were smaller when I was a boy.

The size appears to be seasonal here, a bad season makes it harder to find the bigger ones I want.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I think he might have had a second job, though, to hold him over between festival gigs.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

No and Anita Bryant was in the shit house so OJ took a beating. It is still true that apples are not particularly nutritious. They are mostly sugar. That is why the apple producers came up with that slogan in the 20s. It was better than "not just for cheap booze."

Reply to
gfretwell

I always peel off the stickers and wash my produce as soon as I get it home. The stuff lasts longer that way.

Reply to
gfretwell

With EFI in the cars I doubt you have that startup problem. My FILs Cadillac shuts off at a light and starts when you take your foot off the brake. (in Eco mode). I would disable that feature if it was my car. Since these stores are on the same path I am following on the right side of the road in each direction of travel but I am not that interested in 4 stops and 4 different stores to save a few bucks. I am thinking about loading up on the canned goods and non-perishables at Walmart if I am there for something else tho. Usually that is just dog treats or OTC meds for my FIL.

Reply to
gfretwell

Thanks, I guess I will skip them. I walked through Save a Lot once and didn't buy a thing. It was like shopping at Dollar General.

Reply to
gfretwell

There is no coon, excuse me RACCOON, in my DNA. So far the free gifts from the illegal pepper pickers hasn't caught up with me. But then my home brewed kefir, which has been an ongoing process for 10 years or so, has probably inured me to damn near everything by now.

When I was in TJ last I got an excellent clam cocktail from a street vendor. He shucked a couple of big old clams raised in the sewage of San Diego into a plastic cup, squeezed in a lime without washing his hands or wearing gloves and topped it with some hot sauce of unknown vintage. Delicious and no problemo.

Reply to
rbowman

I may have been next to one of those at a stop light the other day. I heard the engine crank over and wasn't sure if it was a planned event or if it had died naturally. The guy drove off, which was good. It's when the cranking doesn't get it started and you have a hulk in the traffic lane that sucks.

Reply to
rbowman

I can't remember if I ever was in an Aldis. That was one of the turnoffs about Walmart. Most of their meat had water added to 'improve the flavor'.

That always reminds me of an illustration in a First Communion class. They chose to illustrate the concept of adultery by a man in a mask pouring water into a milk can. Accurate, I guess.

There was also a section in the missal helping you to examine your conscience in preparation for confession. The nun didn't shed much light on what exactly 'passionate dancing' entailed.

Reply to
rbowman

U actually had my GP find one on my back during an annual.

God knows how it got there, likely via the towel after a shower or something.

He was very surprised until he worked out what it was.

Reply to
Rod Speed

That’s one thing that has changed a lot over time, the current varieties are optimised for very long term cold storage in CO2, for more than a year.

Reply to
Joshua Snow