OT: Droplets and Masks

Here is some real science and it is very long:

Publisher: Physics of Fluids

On respiratory droplets and face masks :

I will repeat their findings:

According to the results of this study, we make the following recommendations:

  1. Although masks will reduce droplet transmission, we should not ignore that several droplets will be transmitted away from the mask. The use of a mask will not provide complete prevention from airborne droplet transmission. The above is particularly important for both indoor and outdoor environments. As Dbouk and Drikakis3 showed, respiratory droplets can be transmitted to several meters away from the subject due to wind conditions. Therefore, social distancing remains essential when facing an evolving pandemic.
  2. The above recommendation implies that we can protect healthcare workers only if we equip them with a complete PPE, e.g., * a helmet with a built-in air filter, a face shield together with a disposable suit over the whole ensemble, and a double set of gloves*.
3.The manufacturers and regulatory authorities *should consider new criteria for assessing mask performance to account for the flow physics and cough dynamics*. We provided a simple criterion that takes into account efficiency reduction during a cyclic coughing incident.

I bet when they look into a permeable mask like those T shirt things and it becomes damp from breathing along, with a little sweat, they find a cough does turn this thing into a Claymore. Blow air through a damp rag as explosively as a sneeze or a cough and see what happens.

Reply to
gfretwell

T snipped-for-privacy@invalid.invalid quoted:

^^^^^^ This is the word that should be used, rather than "prevent", when discussing any measure related to the spread of SARS-CoV-2 or any other pathogen. In the real world, perfection is unattainable: we must settle for nudging the probabilities.

Reply to
Neill Massello

What good is an N5 condom?

Reply to
devnull

That is correct. Just like where the flu vaccine may only be 50% effective it does cut down on the spread.

Reply to
Frank

If you're sneezing and coughing, stay home. You're probably sick.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

I agree but isn't that the example all of the mask people use.

Depending on which day's breaking study out of WHO there are varying guesses about how serious casual contact is with people who are not sneezing and coughing. Most say that is not how this is transmitted but I suppose you can pick the one you want to believe.

Reply to
gfretwell

Nope, and its irrelevant what example they use anyway, what matters is the science.

More of your flagrant dishonesty.

Yes, its taking time see how infectious this virus is.

Pity we know that it is from that choir who almost all got infected.

Even sillier than you usually manage and that's saying something.

Reply to
Rod Speed

IDK what your sources are that suggest the main transmission is via people who are obviously sick, coughing and sneezing. Even the trumptards must have enough sense to stay away from those people, yet it's being transmitted. I see the opposite. I just read a story where a healthcare worker had followed the guidelines, wore a mask, socially distanced. Then when her state allowed bars to re-open, when went out with like 16 friends to a bar, didn't wear a mask, didn't socially distance. She doesn't explicitly say that none of them were around someone coughing and sneezing, but it seems likely given her career, she wasn't stupid. All of them got infected, seven employees of the bar too. If the primary vector was people who are obviously sick, I don't think you'd see it spreading as easily as it does.

We'll have an interesting experiment Saturday in Tulsa, with Trump's reckless rally and we'll see what results come from that. I would not be surprised to see commercials in October, tracing dead people, dead grandmas, back to Trump.

Reply to
trader_4

I'm not so sure. If you are a strong Trump supporter you get some immunity to it. If you carry a bible, even more so. The WhiteHhouse recently said the virus is on the way out.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

LOL That's one way to put it that should mean something! LOL

Reply to
Muggles

More likely you have an allergy.

Reply to
Muggles

You people really need to make up your mind. You just made a big deal about her NOT wearing a mask but you say masks don't protect the wearer anyway. It is pretty hard to engage in bar activity (drinking) with a mask on anyway. If this was a typical girl's night out in a meat market bar there was far more intimate activity than we would see at the Walmart or pretty much anywhere else anyway.

I agree the rally is a dumb idea but not any dumber than all of these protests. Where is the outrage about that?

Reply to
gfretwell

Just me, but I have NEVER sneezed when I am sick. Cough a lot though.

When I sneeze, it is always hay fever

Frank,

That 50% number is for the virus in the vaccine, not the virus in the wild. The number for the actual virus in the wild is 0%.

And it is full of accelerant so they can use less viruses in the shot, contains weird chemicals (preservatives), causes inflammation, and has been tagged with "Antibody-dependent enhancement (ADE)", meaning it makes next years flu symptom even worse.

The flu shot is totally worthless (fraud).

-T

Maybe Muggles will survive and tell us how it went.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

Yeah, it means devnull still thinks it is purely a binary notion.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

I hope the vaccine doesn't have *any* virus in it.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

I sneeze when something tickles the inside of my nose, and usually it's random because I've passed by something in the air that I'm reactive towards.

Reply to
Muggles

I registered for tickets, but was late to the party. All the tickets were already claimed by people who registered before me.

Reply to
Muggles