OT: New time zones?

My phone just informed me of an update to time zones. So which country has changed and why?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

England and Scotland. Scotland has decided to have a different daylight saving time to that in England. It also means that in England the clocks may be shifted by two hours for British Summer Time, although that may be called something different now.

Reply to
alan_m

alan_m snipped-for-privacy@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote

Quite right too, can't have more time for animals like Jimbo to be able shag the haggises.

Not a problem for you poms...

It will now be called Summer McSummerTimeFace.

Reply to
Rod Speed

first I have heard

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

I got consent first I told you....

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

your talking bollox

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

Some of the US were going to change, and some of Canada were talking about it. Not sure of the reasons though. There could of course be others. It all makes work for the admin to do after all. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I don't think this has actually been accepted yet. Why we change at all and don't just adjust start and end times for things as required has always eluded me. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The argument in Scotland is that school kids are still pissed in the morning due to their alcohol intake in the previous evening and having light mornings rather than light evenings will make their travel to school safer.

Reply to
alan_m

very true very true

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

As a student I became a Christamas postie. It was still dark at 9am in Edinburgh.

Reply to
charles

Even worse, up on the north coast.

Reply to
S Viemeister

In that case the parents are not doing much of a job at parenting. Why aren't these kids being offered speed or coke before setting off for school to counteract their hangovers?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

But what is being discussed is SUMMER TIME, stupid.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Yes, but there are serious proposals to adopt "Summer Time" for the whole UK - ALL THE TIME. Then Scotland would opt out for the reason I mentioned.

Reply to
charles

I got a beep and a one line message at the top of the screen about time zones, I think, but evn though it was only one line, I coudln't read t he whole thing.

How do I find what they just sent me, in Android? There's nothing in Texts.

I live in Baltimore and there is no way they are changing my time zone. I'm too frar from the Central Time Zone, although maybe I'm close to the Atlantic Time Zone and I can have the same daily schedule as the fishes.

Reply to
micky

Indeed, even if they think time needs to be adjusted for more light hours at the right end of the day, just adjust it for winter and leave it there. there's plenty of light in sumer!

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Mine just said time zones updated please reboot. I'm in Scotland. i haven't rebooted, i see no urgent need.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Not for those that work and who aren't dole bludgers like you.

Reply to
Kron

Considering that Android is based in Linux, I can give you information based on how Linux does this.

The information for all timezones (not only the one you live at) resides in directory /usr/share/zoneinfo, and this "database" got an update in March 2022 (I know that from doing "rpm -qi timezone" in my computer). See:

The changes were explained here:

I see another two updates listed in August, so 2022b and 2022c.

Notice that you get updates to this database even if you don't live in an affected area.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.