OT: New time zones?

  1. Its written in an object oriented language.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

  1. Sounds like that's a stupid invention. Let's waste resources, the hardware guys will make something 1000 times bigger anyway.
Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I once saw an article from someone hod didn't like Windows, called:

"OOPS I stepped in something GUI"

(Object Oriented Programming, Graphical User Interface)

Reply to
Sam E

If these compliers worked properly, I could write an exceedingly small program because most of the work is done by subroutines already within the OS and already on every machine.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

If these compliers worked properly, I could write an exceedingly small program because most of the work is done by subroutines already within the OS and already on every machine.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

It's just a name. GMT=UTC=Zulu.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Isn't that the teacher's job? Nice bit of money on the side that.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

But lighter evenings makes it less likely for them to break their nose falling down stairs in the evening when drunk, then not notice for twenty years they'd done so. Her over there.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I borrowed my dad's car when he was in hospital and changed the clock 2 weeks before it needed changing back again. That didn't please him, he had to find the instruction manual.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Mine forgets the time when I turn the engine off. French electronics.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

They're reliable in Ferraris.

Commander Kinsey

Moire people are adults than are children, so why cater for them?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

You have no clue. And you missed the time anyway: A full month too late.

Reply to
Joerg Lorenz

Tell me the difference in seconds minutes and hours between them.

DST will always be relevant until they stop f****ng around with time.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Even simpler. Let them set the clocks the way they want in winter, then in summer, we don't f****ng care because there's loads of light!

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

What I can't understand is the people who campaign for the UK to adopt GMT+1 (winter) and GMT+2 (summer) instead of GMT/GMT+1. There seems to be something perverse about adopting a timezone which is at best one hour adrift from local (sun highest overhead) time and at worst two hours adrift. A greater proportion of the UK is west of Greenwich (ie GMT-x, for some value of x) than is east of it, so adopting a +ve shift is weird.

I wonder how long it will take "UTC" to enter the normal person's vocabulary, to replace "GMT". A long time, I reckon. The first name for a concept or thing (Opal Fruits vs Starburst, Marathon vs Snickers etc) is the "definitive" one and takes a *lot* of shifting from the collective memories of the population.

Is there any factual difference between GMT and UTC (eg different by a few nanoseconds) or are they exact synonyms?

Reply to
NY

I've never understood it either. If you want to maximise the number of daylight hours for people travelling to/from work, you choose working hours that are equidistant either side of noon - ie 10-4 for a nominal 8-hour day. What was the other consideration that was regarded as more important than this when deciding that "office hours" would be 9-5?

Was it thought that people work better later in the day (when they were getting tired after a long day's work) than earlier in the day (when they were tired because they hadn't woken up properly)?

Reply to
NY

Best of all, all countries should decide to shift their time half an hour forwards in the northern hemisphere or half an hour back in the southern hemisphere (either way, mid-way between their local winter time and daylight-savings time) and then *stay* on that time all year round. A good compromise that doesn't involve twice-yearly shifting of clocks.

I know in the late 60s and early 70s the UK experimented with (I think) permanent winter time, but that was not an average GMT+1/2: it was either permanent GMT or permanent GMT+1 (I forget which). I remember being given reflective armbands and reflective strips for my satchel so I could be seen as I was walking to/from school in the dark mornings or evenings.

Reply to
NY

What matters is what works best for most people.

But the UK is so small that that east/west stuff really doesnt matter.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Any shift is illogical. Summer doesn't need any adjustment. Pick your winter and stick with that all year. But the average IQ is 100, so no wonder I'm surrounded my morons. Can't we just push them all off a cliff?

Since UTC is GMT plus, oh let me see no it isn't even 1 second difference, then why change it?

It's just a name, I still call it Windscale, but that was changed to hide something.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey