OT: New time zones?

Ahh, more complicated than I thought. if only governments would leave time as is. Somebody ought to add up all the man hours required throughout the world to cater for daylight savings time.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

It would be a good idea to set the clocks different so the solar panels could work better.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

The treehuggers would actually believe that.

Mind you, with increasing electricity prices, solar panels might one day actually be worth buying.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

The update was probably due to Chile announcing that they're changing the date of their daylight saving time.

It normally happens on the first Sunday in September, but this year they're delaying it by one week. It will now take effect from Sunday September 11 2022 instead of the previous Sunday, September 4.

Reply to
Chris in Makati

My car clock is still on GMT.

Reply to
jon

I lived in Ft Wayne IN in the '80s. If you asked someone what time it was, they would answer '20 after' and leave you to figure out what hour you wanted to use. It was so bad the welcome center on the interstate had a three page flyer trying to explain time in Indiana.

I was in a diner in Virginia in the '60s when they didn't observe DST. I asked the crusty old waitress about it and she answered 'We keep God's time in Virginia!'

I didn't know God had a Rollex set to Virginia time but whatever.

Reply to
rbowman

This is an Android group. Mentioning a real Linux is completely OT and redundant. Dump your stuff there. Only the Kernel is based on Linux. The whole rest is proprietary crap from Google.

Reply to
Joerg Lorenz

So, you defending the android group.....

You hate linux and prefer the proprietary crap?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

probably the phone has updated itself to the 2022c timezone database

recent changes

Chile's 2022 DST start is delayed from September 4 to September 11.

Iran plans to stop observing DST permanently, after it falls back

Reply to
Andy Burns

Check my header, dear.

Reply to
Joerg Lorenz

SWMBO's car clock lives on BST. Mine changes by itself.

Reply to
charles

+1 Harvest time near a farm where I was staying recently the machinery was out and working at 5am and still working with vehicle lights on at 11pm.
Reply to
alan_m

My car has a menu option to automatically adjust for BST but no matter which way its set it just ignores it :)

Reply to
alan_m

Car clock? What's that?

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

And even for the average wage slave, much more time for a barby etc.

Reply to
Rod Speed

williamwright snipped-for-privacy@f2s.com wrote

Something you dinosaurs dont get.

Reply to
Rod Speed

My god, one sensible country in the world.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I'm not a geek, i don't check headers as a matter of course.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey
[snip]

My mother had a Volvo with a clock that world keep time very well, but was hard to set. Half the year, it'd be an hour off.

As to Daylight Saving Time / Summer Time, it's obvious nonsense. If there's a problem getting to school because of darkness, then SCHOOL SHOULD START LATER. This is what happens, but it could be done without tricking people into thinking otherwise, and adding complexity to the process of keeping time.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

Yes, I wish they'd get rid of that useless complexity here.

There should be 25 timezones in the world (not 24, consider that the international date line runs through the middle of a timezone). A few that use non-whole-hour offsets make that number closer to 35.

Consider DST and that number goes to around 500.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd