OT. Bicycle Odometers/Speedometers

I have one that is a simple unit with a sensor on the front wheel spokes. It has been ok but the reset buttons have started to get hinky. I see there are some GPS units available now. Prices run from about $20 to $300 or so. Any advice? Accuracy?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Somebody probably won't steal the $20 model. The LCD odometer on my Sportster is unreadable below 90 so I put a cheap bike unit on with a magnet epoxied to the rim. I can't remember the last time I changed the battery, probably a couple of years ago. Go to a GPS and you're always going to be recharging it. At least with a motorcycle I could figure out some way to wire it up.

Accuracy depends on the terrain. If you're in a canyon or riding along a ridge where the GPS can only see a limited number of sats they get wonky.

It will be towards the high end but I geocache and have a Garmmin eTrex

20 handheld. The newer 22x goes for $180 on Amazon.

RAM makes a cradle for the eTrex series. You can buy the U-bolt balls separately so I've got a ball on both bicycles and the motorcycles. It takes seconds to swap the cradle and dogbone. The other plus is the GPS snaps out of the cradle and goes in my pocket.

The two AA's last quite a long time since it's easy to turn the unit off when you're not using it. It will take rechargebles but I'm lazy and use Duracells.

Reply to
rbowman

I ordered this thing from Ebay.

I'm not going to get lost and I can take the main unit inside before the first snow. I mainly want to ride at least a set distance each day and the other stuff on the more expensive units doesn't mean much to me. The path I follow is along a crick with a lot of shade trees over the trail. GPS might not work and wouldn't offer any real benefit.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I'm not promoting them but ftr , there are apps on the phone that will show, accurately I hear, how fast one is going. On my last trip I rented a bicycle. All had a place for a phone and since I needed the map I violated my rules and clipped it to the bike. All was fine until I turned while going up a crowded curb cut and fell off onto the cement. Amazingly I wasn't hurt in the slightest, bt my phone has two long cracks across the screen. Surprisingly it still works fine,

I have an speedometer/odometer from years ago but the numbers are bigger on your ebay thing.

Reply to
micky

The receivers have gotten better but a heavy hardwood canopy is a problem.

Keep in mind that those are surveyors and their GPS units run into the thousands. I had to go to a seminar in the Boston area and had a afternoon flight home so I decided to find some geocaches in a town woods on the way to the airport. It was a hazy, overcast day with the light so diffuse you couldn't tell where the sun was. The wooded area was about 100 acres, flat, with a number of twisty trails. I found a couple of caches mostly by luck because of the spotty reception. Trying for a third I got into an area with no reception at all. I also realized that in wandering around the network of trails I had no idea where I was. I had visions of explaining how I missed my flight because I'd gotten lost in a 100 acre howling wilderness. Fortunately I had a compass and knew I had to go south to get to the road where the parking lot was.

It's a little better around here since there are no hardwood forests. otoh, except for the larch the trees are indeciduous so there's no going back in the winter for a redo.

Reply to
rbowman

When I fly commercial, I sometimes use the GPS app on my phone to see how high we're flying and how fast we're moving. My phone can display two apps on screen at the same time, so I bring up Google map to see, in real time, where the aircraft is. If I'm in an aisle seat, it's sometimes hard to get a GPS fix, but it always works if I'm near a window.

By watching the flight progress on a map, you sometimes see some weird stuff, like a flight from Houston to Atlanta that began by flying due north for over an hour before turning sharp right toward Atlanta. After turning, the pilot announced that he had avoided flying through a severe thunderstorm. Another time, my trip included a stop in Minneapolis. We flew past the airport, continuing another 40-50 miles at least, then we did a 180 to go back and land. No word on what that was all about so I made up my own story. The crew weren't sleeping, they were simply playing on their phones. Who really knows.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Hmm. My last flight from JFK to BWI in June was first come firest seated, and I useually don't get in line until almost everyone has gone inside, but I got a window seat anyhow!! And I finally remembered to try google maps, but it continued to say I was at the airport where we had left 30 minutes earlier. After that, when I went to see my brother and returned I didn't even try.

My phone was a Samsung Galaxy A30. Could that make a difference.

Regardless, I will continue to try.

When we landed at FLL, fort lauderdale, in August, he went way west before turning 180, but the roads are on a regular grid and all the blocks there look alike from the air, so I couldn't find my brother's place. We seemed to be too low coming back but I guess not because we didn't crash.

Reply to
micky