Bicycle, crash hat and accident

Female reversed at speed out of a drive, without looking and hit a friend who was cycling on a grass verge adjacent to the footpath, between footpath and road. Location is close to, but not in a village and footpath is rarely used by pedestrians.
Police were called and PC suggested it was now the law to have to wear a helmet if on the road, but as he was on the grass verge it was OK. PC also suggested he would have been 'done', if riding on the actual footpath. The road is ex-A1, wide, with very little traffic.
Have helmets become compulsory on the road and I thought it was now OK to ride on footpaths in the country?
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

No

Officially only if it's designated for shared use.
Of course a blind eye is turned to young children using the footpaths but really, footpaths are only for things moving at a pedestrian pace. When I'm running, I frequently use the road in preference to the footpath as folk reversing out don't expect (nor should expect) faster moving traffic on the pavement.
Tim
On Friday, August 8, 2014 3:07:04 PM UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:

nd

'm

he

An interesting position exists in Scotland in that the Land Access laws def ine a bike as an aid to pedestrianism (or some equivalent wording) hence al lowing bikes on mountain tracks. I wonder if anyone has used that as a jus tification for cycling on the road footpaths.
On 08/08/2014 15:07, Tim+ wrote:

They should expect pedestrians moving at whatever speed a pedestrian can, including running for the bus or whatever else they want to run for!
These days they can reasonably expect to have cycles and scooters too.
On 08/08/2014 15:07, Tim+ wrote:

You reverse into a driveway and drive out forwards with full view what is on the pavement.
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

"alan_m" wrote in message

Really!? If there are hedges or walls obscuring the view, the front end of the car may already be on the pavement in cases where the pavement is against the property border.
On 09/08/2014 07:27, Richard wrote:

Cut the hedges and/or the wall.
"Dennis@home" wrote in message

Simply to accommodate a cyclist who is in the wrong place? Nah.
Richard wrote:

Yes, but driving out forwards is still better than reversing. And, if you really can't see, you go nice and slow so that you can be seen in good time.
--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Mike Barnes wrote:

    Well, I just did a quick check on my neighbours, all bar 1 of 17 of their cars reverse off their drives!
Richard wrote:

Yes, really. You reverse into "controlled spaces" as you cannot see where you are going, but you control the space by the physical fact that you are blocking access to it with your vehicle. You advance into "uncontrolled spaces" as you cannot control access to the space so must have as much sight of the space as possible to see oncoming dangers.
Highway code. Presumably you don't have a driving licence.
jgh
wrote in message

Gotta love the presumptuous. I'll just presume that you are an onanist.
On 08/08/2014 14:23, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Absolutely not! A footpath, typically although not always in the country, is what it says - for pedestrians only.
A footway is usually part of a roadway i.e. a pavement. Cycling is still generally prohibited although there may be certain exceptions.
It's complicated, see:
http://www.bikehub.co.uk/featured-articles/cycling-and-the-law/
Riding on country footpaths is prohibited and is one of my pet hates; it churns up the path and makes it useless for its intended purpose: walking.
Another Dave
--
Change nospam to gmx in e-mail.

On 08/08/2014 15:41, Another Dave wrote:

My experience is that the broad tyres of MTBs tend to smooth out bridleways that have been churned up by horses. (Bikes are allowed on bridleways.)
--
Reentrant

+1
As far as I'm aware its note requirement to wear a cycle helmet yet. it would be hard to enforce on an unlicensed, uninsured vehicle anyway. No its not legal to ride on footways except where they are designated as shared. There needs to be signage and most authorities actual paint a line on the footway, but blind people are opposed to this as we cannot see either and are thus unaware of cyclists. I think your friend can count themselves lucky they are not dead, get a helmet and wear it has to be the right thing. Also, even though its not compulsory, get insurance!
Brian
--
From the Bed of Brian Gaff.
The email is valid as snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk
On 08/08/14 17:29, Brian Gaff wrote:

Most cyclists are brain dead before the accident anyway. It wouldn't make any difference...

Loud applause.....

On Friday, 8 August 2014 19:21:23 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

So you're kids don't ride bikes?
On 11/08/14 11:38, Dean Punchard wrote:

no, i am not kids..