Bicycle, crash hat and accident

The ones that cause accidents.

Reply to
harryagain

We're not talking about inattention or failing to see someone/thing. We're talking about making a decision to drive into a driveway so neccessitating having to reverse out. When obviously you have a poorer view of any traffic.

A thicko/dope/idle git in other words.

Reply to
harryagain

But it's not such a serious problem. Runners go more slowly, they make more noise, and they're less of a risk to pedestrians.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Jabba wrote on 09/08/2014 :

I am very concerned about safety, which is why if it were practical to do so, I would reverse in and drive out. As it is I take extreme care reversing out and trim my own hedge as much as I reasonably can. In 30+ years of reversing out, I have never had an issue.

Others are much less responsible than I, with high hedges and no obvious reason to drive in forwards.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

That's something I often encounter, both on foot and cycling. Many people seem to be pre-programmed to step *IN* *FRONT* of you as you approach.

...I'm walking along the pavement, lamp-post up ahead, so veer slightly to one side to pass the lamp-post, bugger!!! bloody idiot approaching me decides that I've actually decided to cross to the other side of the pavement and has crossed the pavement into my path.

jgh

Reply to
jgh

I personally have no issues with that what so ever. Sometimes there just is no sensible alternative, as in my case.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Yes, really. You reverse into "controlled spaces" as you cannot see where you are going, but you control the space by the physical fact that you are blocking access to it with your vehicle. You advance into "uncontrolled spaces" as you cannot control access to the space so must have as much sight of the space as possible to see oncoming dangers.

Highway code. Presumably you don't have a driving licence.

jgh

Reply to
jgh

I prefer reversing in as the time I am coming out is often school time and I am both on a corner, have a hedge and am on the main school route to the local secondary.

As you know, kids are immortal and travel at random speeds.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I drive straight into our drive and reverse out.

Were we on a main road, I wouldn't do that. It is a tiny side road expressly intended for accessing garages and drives.

Reversing in causes exhaust fumes to go straight into our house when I start the engine. That is why I don't reverse in!

Reply to
polygonum

Really? That's precisely what we were talking about.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Gotta love the presumptuous. I'll just presume that you are an onanist.

Reply to
Richard

I make much less noise when running than cycling.

Doesn't help much when the peddos commonly use headphones. Never use headphones when leisure walking, cycling or running.

Reply to
HarpingOn

This is c*ck but I can't remember why.

Ah, thanks, *this* is why it's c*ck.

Just look in any supermarket and multi-story type parking to see that most people drive in forwards.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Tim Streater formulated the question :

Most people lack any forethought and forward planning, because most park that way does not make it the right or best practise way to do it. Remember most also drive forwards into their drives too and risk reversing into the main road, with no good reason to do it that way.

I can usually reverse into a space in one single movement, those I see going in forwards usually need two or three movements. Your door mirrors enable you to see much more of the lines as you reverse in, than you can see of them going forwards. One I watched yesterday took seven goes at it and still didn't get it quite right.

Going in reverse also requires less road width to get in and out, than driving in forwards.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

For the parking areas listed above, it does, for the reason given by a previous poster. You get back to your car with a full trolley. Now kindly explain how I can get the trolley round to the boot area of the car if I've backed into the parking spot and there are geezers parked on both sides of my car. Eh? Eh?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Exactly. Cant even open the tailgate unless there is 4ft of rear clearance.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There are some drives where it is impossible to reverse in. My daughters house for example, on a busy main road, 20 yards from a junction with traffic lights.

When you approach from the simplest route, you have to turn right to enter the drive. Reversing across a lane of traffic isn't a good idea.

If you approach from the other direction & stop to reverse in, someone will pull up behind you as its a busy road.

The only safe option is to drive in.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

and how safe is it driving out?

Reply to
charles

I don't ever seem to need to use it. I anticipate the need on approach and generally avoid the situation. I don't presume the right/priority to cycle through a bunch of people even if they're standing on a cycle lane. In a genuine emergency which couldn't be forseen, there isn't time to use it anyway. A parked car suddenly turned out across my path a few days ago. The sound of my rear wheel sliding as I did an emergency stop was far more effective than a bell (and it probably sounded like I was a bigger vehicle about to slam into him). The car instantly stopped and the driver looked like he'd shit himself.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

As the location is a mere 20 yards from traffic lights, very safe.

Reply to
Richard