Framing out ductwork using furring hat channels

I have an ongoing project in my basement and was considering framing out my HVAC ductwork. I was considering using furring hat channels like this.

The furring strip is only 7/8" thick. My main concern was fastening these directly to the ductwork using small "zip" screws. Are there any drawbacks drilling into the ductwork? Are these furring channels a good idea? I figured it would be a lot easier framing than using wood for framing.

Reply to
Mikepier

I would recommend against screwing into duct work. Its not a huge deal but added weight & little screw tips to the interior of the ducts is not a great idea.

I would make the framing out / boxing out of the duct work a totally separate structural unit.

cheers Bob

Reply to
fftt

You are gonna put the hat channel directly on the duct ?? NOT a good idea....You need to hang the framing off the floor joists.....Why not just do a suspended ceiling ???Much easier to frame around duct work..Though it does lend a commercial look to it...You could just sheetrock around and over it and leave it exposed and just paint it white....Don't screw framing to the duct work though....A BIG no no....

Reply to
benick

Check out the USG web site for their online drywall manual. It will give you a lot of ideas.

The standard way is to screw some angle or track to the ceiling and hang vertical pieces of 1 5/8" steel stud from it. The bottom can be finished with either angle or track. If the span is not too great, you might not need any horizontal framing under the duct at all - the drywall will span 24" with 5/8" board.

It is also possible to just use angle/track at the ceiling and hang the drywall with no "studs" with some more angle to attach the drywall under the duct. You should allow a bit of room so the framing won't contact the duct so it doesn't pick up the duct vibration and turn the soffit into a drum.

RicodJour

Thanks for the info.

You suggested hanging track from the ceiling with no studs, just attach drywall. Does that mean the drywall holds up the entire structure with just sheetrock screws?

Reply to
Mike rock

I just checked out the USG Gypsum manual and it did not seem to cover the method I mentioned. It was covered in earlier editions of the manual - I haven't checked it out in years. Nevertheless, hanging the soffit using the drywall is a good technique.

Yep. Seems odd, but it is a suggested construction.

The picture shows the fully framed method of building a soffit, but the text describes what I mentioned.

Only caveat - if the soffit might be subject to abuse, I'd frame it as it would be stiffer and less likely to get damaged, but those aren't really major concerns in most instances.

RicodJour

Thanks for that link descibing the drywall supporting the soffit. I will look into it

I came across this picture of ductwork enclosed in metal framing:

Could that be done? Its not attached to the duct.

Reply to
Mike rock

Sure it can be done that way - you just saw some pictures of it! ;)

The metal framing is touching the ductwork and that will just transmit the duct noise to the soffit. Maybe that wouldn't bother you, but I tend to eliminate noise problems whenever I can.

You could build that same thing by using three lengths of metal framing angle and two pieces of drywall. Faster, cheaper and still plenty strong. Is your soffit so big that you have to have conventional framing?

RicodJour

Here are some pics of my ductwork. Its a supply and return next to each other, along with another small branch that goes off at an angle.

Mike rock