OT: New time zones?

Not quite. The sig separator is "-- ", there is a space at the end.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

This year only? If not the general rule (like second Sunday in September) would be more useful.

Good. I know Russia has already done so. I hope more countries will do this.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Dont have that problem anymore given that all the computers and the mobiles always have perfect time.

But not practical for the reason someone else spelt out.

Reply to
Rod Speed

And my phone has to be restarted just to take account of this? ROTFPMSL!

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

It's this year only due the country holding a referendum on a new constitution on September 4.

Next year it will back to normal; the first Sunday in September.

Reply to
Chris in Makati

Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) isn't necessarily the local time in Greenwich. It's the time at which the sun reaches it's highest elevation over the Prime Meridian line in Greenwich Park.

Reply to
Chris in Makati

Am 04.09.22 um 03:23 schrieb Chris in Makati:

That is exactly why GMT does not exist anymore. It is called UTC and is completely independent of any interference of local authorities.

Technical installations including satellites are using UTC around the globe. Some also call it Zulu-Time. Particularly military, aviation and maritime organizations. Zulu is equivalent to UTC+0.

Reply to
Joerg Lorenz

Replacement of data is only possible when the file concerned is not in use. That applies to all OSs.

Reply to
Joerg Lorenz

That shows a complete lack of decent programming. I remember the old Macs, you had to restart to install a printer driver! Stop using the flie, replace it, start using the file, why restart everything for one function?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

No, it does not apply to unix and unix-like systems. Including android. The TZ database can be updated at any time. Applications may, or may not reflect the updated database until restarted depending on the quality of the application and whether it caches tz data.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Unfortunately, Android is not using a Linux filesystem, but FAT.

In Linux, a file used by an application can be updated on disk; the application holds the file open by a handle which points to the old data on disk, which will actually be gone when that application closes or restarts. That is, for some time both versions of the file are on disk. This mechanism is what permits live updates.

I fear that FAT doesn't support this type of operation.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

Why would it have to? Surely the OS can signal to those apps the file is being changed, so they reopen it when you've downloaded it.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

This is done when the update package lists those services that have to be restarted when applying the update. Not as a generic "OS signals apps that opened the file that the file has changed".

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

So you restart some services, big deal, no need for a reboot.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Which can not be done on Android, you do not have access to the services.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

The OS does, which is what would be carrying out the timezone upgrade.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Which requires a complex logic. As this could not be done easily, they tell you to reboot. Cheaper.

Move on :-)

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

By "cheaper", you mean "using inadequately skilled programmers." it's amazing how many mistakes there are in modern programs. And why does my mouse driver require 130MB when a mouse driver in 1991 was 40KB?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Nope. Less programming time.

1 It does much more 2 Less programming time.
Reply to
Carlos E.R.

it does not. it monitors two buttons and a wheel and the direction I move it in.

So we all have to make do with much more powerful computers which can't actually do anything better or faster, because of lazy stupid programmers.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey